Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby Convertible Seats or Booster seats?

Baby Convertible Seats or Booster seats?

Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

ABB1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby Convertible Seats or Booster seats?

Hii,

We'll be migrating in next month with our 1 year old baby. As I went through the online baby car seats for him I found baby boosters and Convertible Seats types..

Can someone tell me the difference between these two and what's more suitable? Considering the price and safety if go for Convertible Seats is it ok?

I found this Zuzu Twilight Convertible Car Seat in Big W which is $118, can anyone pls give me your comments before i buy this.......

Thanx
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby Convertible Seats or Booster seats?

Originally Posted by ABB1
Hii,

We'll be migrating in next month with our 1 year old baby. As I went through the online baby car seats for him I found baby boosters and Convertible Seats types..

Can someone tell me the difference between these two and what's more suitable? Considering the price and safety if go for Convertible Seats is it ok?

I found this Zuzu Twilight Convertible Car Seat in Big W which is $118, can anyone pls give me your comments before i buy this.......

Thanx
Hi ABB1, I'm not familiar with this brand. I just had a quick look in the Big W website and one thing I noticed - if you scroll down you will see that other seats can recline: this is a very useful feature, especially long drives (and you might be driving a VERY long way in Australia). Reclining the seat protects the baby's head from rolling around more when they're asleep. You definitely need one of these type (convertible refers to it being able to be positioned backward for very young babies and they have removable padded insert). The booster seats are for 3, 4, 5, 6 year old or even older children, depending on their size (our 8 year old is still in one). I don't know where you're going to be living, but you can end up spending a lot of time in your car living here. It's really important that the baby seat is comfortable and as you would be using it until the child is about 3 (and maybe for a second child), you do get your money's worth. Also important is being able to remove and handwash the seat cover as they can get very grubby. It might be part of the regulations, but you need to be able to adjust the height of the straps as they go over the baby's shoulders as they get bigger. That Zuzu one looks quite wide, which could be a problem in some cars. I had a Safe N Sound one. I think I spotted a thread somewhere on BE about it, or you could try looking elsewhere (just make sure you come back to BE!).

I did a web search for mum forums Australia. I've been on a few of Aussie sites, have a look at these 2, one even has a thread for mums in the UK. If you dig down, you will find discussions on best car seat, essential things to bring from UK, etc.
http://forums.bellybelly.com.au/forums/#general-forums
http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/forums/

PS: I'm a beginner in understanding the abbreviations, which seem very twee. I think DS is dear son, and DD dear daughter, etc. Good luck.