Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

baby car seats!!

baby car seats!!

Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

geordiekaz will become famous soon enough
Default baby car seats!!

Can anyone help??? Does anyone know if you can take a baby car seat on the flight with you, we are travelling with Malaysia airlines and can't find anything on the website and can't get through to them (although I will keep trying) just thought some of you good people out there may be able to help.

Karen
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: baby car seats!!

SORTED!!!
Got the info I needed, apparently you can take baby seats on board and it doesn't count as part of your baggage allowance (very big of them!).
You can also take as much powder milk through as you need and buy bottles of water on the other side of sercurity OR you can even have bottles made up and they don't have to comply with 100ml and plastic bag scernario you just have to make sure your only taking enough through for the journey and no more. SOOOOO not as bad as I thought it was going to be!

Karen
Old Feb 12th 2007, 12:05 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiekaz
SORTED!!!
Got the info I needed, apparently you can take baby seats on board and it doesn't count as part of your baggage allowance (very big of them!).
You can also take as much powder milk through as you need and buy bottles of water on the other side of sercurity OR you can even have bottles made up and they don't have to comply with 100ml and plastic bag scernario you just have to make sure your only taking enough through for the journey and no more. SOOOOO not as bad as I thought it was going to be!

Karen
Hi Karen,
Depending on which state you are heading for in Oz, your child seat probably wont be legal.

Here in WA you will need a seat with an extra anchor point to the back of the seat, which UK car seats do not have.
You may need to get the seat installed by a registered installer.
http://rac.com.au/go/community-and-i...ild-restraints
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Oh bloody hell!! We are heading for Victoria/NSW (Wodonga/Albury) Will definitely check that info asap. Thanks for that.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:49 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Oh bloody hell!! We are heading for Victoria/NSW (Wodonga/Albury) Will definitely check that info asap. Thanks for that.
hi you will definitely need a new car seat as they do have to have the anchorage we were lucky as my son is big enough to have a booster seat which doesn't need an anchorage point because of his weight.
Poshrice
Old Feb 12th 2007, 3:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your baby? We flew with our 2 18 month olds in the car seats one way, the way back we checked the seats into the hold, it is much easier for them to sleep and for you to deal with them if they are not in the car seats, although this may be different for a younger baby.

Buzzy
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
baby will be no more than 4 months when we travel , not sure what to do for the best. I know you can get seats with the basinets for infants but I have not seen what they are like so thought the car seat was the best bet , plus we will need it at the other end but that may now be a problem if it's classed as illegal!!

Karen
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

4 month olds should go in a bassinet as you cannot use rear facing car seats on the plane - only forward facing ones.

Buzzy
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks buzzy, Im pleased I asked the question now, going to have to re-think taking the car seat!

Karen
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud of

when we went on our rekkie the youngest was nine months old and she was great in a bassinet/skycot (mind you she was a tiny baby). The other good thing was they are at the bulk head seats so there is more leg room for you too. Yeah! The only bad thing was whenever there was turbulence you had to take her out and put her back on our knee. Not good when you've just got them to sleep.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:30 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jules29
when we went on our rekkie the youngest was nine months old and she was great in a bassinet/skycot (mind you she was a tiny baby). The other good thing was they are at the bulk head seats so there is more leg room for you too. Yeah! The only bad thing was whenever there was turbulence you had to take her out and put her back on our knee. Not good when you've just got them to sleep.
i've heard that some airlines/aircraft have bassinets with proper restraints that allow you to leave your bub in situ during turbulence if you wish
has anyone experience of this?
we're going with virgin next week so i'll find out soon enough
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:43 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

SORTED!!!
OR you can even have bottles made up and they don't have to comply with 100ml and plastic bag scernario you just have to make sure your only taking enough through for the journey and no more.
hi Karen

where did you read this? i'm looking for infobefore we fly, thought you could only take a certain volume of liquids.. thinking we'll take powder and sterilised bottles and then get boiled water on the plane
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

We had an 18 month old in one of those basinettes 8 years ago and it ws fine!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gedge
hi Karen

where did you read this? i'm looking for infobefore we fly, thought you could only take a certain volume of liquids.. thinking we'll take powder and sterilised bottles and then get boiled water on the plane

Hiya

If you go onto www.baa.com put baby in the search section at the top of the page it will then take you to another menu and just go for "frequently asked questions" families and babies/ bag contents. Tells you all you need to know. You can either do what you have suggested or make them up yourself before you go, or a bit of both.
Hope this helps.
karen
Old Feb 13th 2007, 8:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Oh if you want to know the fun and games with both milk and car seats at Heathrow I suggest you read this thread, posts 1 and 30 -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405105

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Feb 13th 2007 at 8:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.