Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby Bonus with PR??

Baby Bonus with PR??

Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:00 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Baby Bonus with PR??

Hi Guys,

Am hoping someone can help me with the following dilemma. We have now been here in Oz for almost two years and will have had PR for two years next May.

In the meantime, we are now expecting our fist baby (due Feb 06) and would dearly love to apply for the baby bonus of $4k which would really help us out with the medical bills. This used to be a one off goverment payment but is now a one off Centrelink payment and has been renamed the "maternity payment."

Our question is whether we are actually eligible for this as we cannot claim any social security benefits until we had PR for 2 years as far as we know (the government still has our bond) but we were eligible for the new home buyers grant which seems to be along the same lines.

Any help from those in the know or those who have done this already would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Em.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:06 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Baby Bonus with PR??

Originally Posted by emmahafryn
Hi Guys,

Am hoping someone can help me with the following dilemma. We have now been here in Oz for almost two years and will have had PR for two years next May.

In the meantime, we are now expecting our fist baby (due Feb 06) and would dearly love to apply for the baby bonus of $4k which would really help us out with the medical bills. This used to be a one off goverment payment but is now a one off Centrelink payment and has been renamed the "maternity payment."

Our question is whether we are actually eligible for this as we cannot claim any social security benefits until we had PR for 2 years as far as we know (the government still has our bond) but we were eligible for the new home buyers grant which seems to be along the same lines.

Any help from those in the know or those who have done this already would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Em.
You will be entitled to almost ALL benefits from the date you complete 2 years here as PR.

There is no waiting period for family payments which help with the cost of bringing up children.

I can't locate anything specific on the maternity payment yet, but I am sure you will be eligible for it.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jul 7th 2005 at 7:11 am.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:08 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You will be entitled to almost ALL benefits from the date you complete 2 years here as PR.

Thanks ABC, I'm aware of that but the baby is due in Feb and we will not have been here for 2 years with PR until May - you see my dilemma????

Em.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:14 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks ABC, I'm aware of that but the baby is due in Feb and we will not have been here for 2 years with PR until May - you see my dilemma????

Em.
I didn't see the May bit at first But I feel that the "There is no waiting period for family payments which help with the cost of bringing up children" bit that I added afterwards, will cover you.

I have the info somewhere, and I will check it.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:15 am
Homeward Bound

I didn't see the May bit at first But I feel that the "There is no waiting period for family payments which help with the cost of bringing up children" bit that I added afterwards, will cover you.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Em. (if only)
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:19 am
ABCDiamond

These are the main payments and services provided by the Family Assistance Office:

• Family Tax Benefit Part A
• Family Tax Benefit Part B
• Child Care Benefit
• Maternity Allowance
• Maternity Payment
• Maternity Immunisation Allowance.

They all relate to Children, and the info comes from the New Migrants Welcome Kit
http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/res...elcome_kit.pdf

Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:26 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Emma, just wanted to say Congratulations to you both.
Trying to workout if this was the aftermath of Wales winning the Grand slam.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:29 am
Homeward Bound

Originally Posted by Bordy
Hi Emma, just wanted to say Congratulations to you both.
Trying to workout if this was the aftermath of Wales winning the Grand slam.

Hello you,

I wondered how long it would take you to pick up on this thread!! No, it was a bit later than that for your information but our boys were great weren't they? Shame about the Lions...
Old Jul 7th 2005, 8:06 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hello you,

I wondered how long it would take you to pick up on this thread!! No, it was a bit later than that for your information but our boys were great weren't they? Shame about the Lions...
Yeah lions were poor but then no Scots in the team.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:22 am
ABCDiamond

I double checked it, and all new arrivals with PR, who are entitled to an FBT payment, are entitled to the Maternity Payment from Day 1.
There is No waiting period for this.

This payment rate is effective from 20 March 2005.
Lump Sum Payment Amount Per child $3,079.00

This is scheduled to increase to $4,000 per child on July 1st 2006
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne.../maternity.htm

Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:29 am
The Godfather

I double checked it, and all new arrivals with PR, who are entitled to an FBT payment, are entitled to the Maternity Payment from Day 1.
There is No waiting period for this.

This payment rate is effective from 20 March 2005.
Lump Sum Payment Amount Per child $3,079.00

This is scheduled to increase to $4,000 per child on July 1st 2006
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne.../maternity.htm
I thought that to ABC, sounds like the drinks are on Emma then. Pity she can't have any.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bordy
I thought that to ABC, sounds like the drinks are on Emma then. Pity she can't have any.
I was also just about certain earlier, but just wanted to be 100% before I said so for certain.
I hate to give incorrect info out

Must remember drinks time in Feb

Old Jul 8th 2005, 12:38 am
Homeward Bound

I was also just about certain earlier, but just wanted to be 100% before I said so for certain.
I hate to give incorrect info out

Must remember drinks time in Feb

Thanks boys, I really appreciate your help. Now just have to confirm whether the bonus is $3k or $4k as it differs depending on who you talk to at Centrelink! I know the website says $3079 and the increase was scheduled for 2006 but the media have reported that it's been brought forward (my Ob thinks the same) and no one seems to be correcting them...

Drinks defo on me in Feb!
Old Jul 8th 2005, 1:19 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks boys, I really appreciate your help. Now just have to confirm whether the bonus is $3k or $4k as it differs depending on who you talk to at Centrelink! I know the website says $3079 and the increase was scheduled for 2006 but the media have reported that it's been brought forward (my Ob thinks the same) and no one seems to be correcting them...

Drinks defo on me in Feb!
There has been a lot of comment on this, but I would suggest only relying on the $3,079 this year, and then the $4,000 from July 2006.

That is what the Centrelink paperwork currently states.

Old Jul 8th 2005, 1:38 am
Homeward Bound

There has been a lot of comment on this, but I would suggest only relying on the $3,079 this year, and then the $4,000 from July 2006.

That is what the Centrelink paperwork currently states.

Thanks ABC, I'll be pleased with either tax free bonus! Obviuosly I'd be slightly more pleased with the $4k... (greedy smiley)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.