Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Baby body clock - help please!

Baby body clock - help please!

Old Feb 7th 2006, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice
Default Baby body clock - help please!

We've just got over to Brisbane - arrived on Saturday morning, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on acclimatising our baby girl to the new time. She's going to sleep about 3pm and waking up at 3am. I've tried waking her up after a couple of hours but she either passes out again or screams the house down. I don't know what to do to start pushing her body clock back to her normal bedtime of 7pm. I know it's very early days, but she seems to be getting herself in a routine of this sleeping pattern.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Nat (very tired Mrs terrym)
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:01 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baby body clock - help please!

Originally Posted by terrym
We've just got over to Brisbane - arrived on Saturday morning, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on acclimatising our baby girl to the new time. She's going to sleep about 3pm and waking up at 3am. I've tried waking her up after a couple of hours but she either passes out again or screams the house down. I don't know what to do to start pushing her body clock back to her normal bedtime of 7pm. I know it's very early days, but she seems to be getting herself in a routine of this sleeping pattern.

Im sure u have tried this......but ...try putting her to sleep in a bright place with plenty noise through the day and perhaps she wont get a very restfull sleep and wake......then when she goes to bed at the proper bedtime in her cot in the dark she will sleep better....fingers crossed for you
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:02 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We had it when we came here on holiday, we kept trying to keep Henry awake not easy but he adjusted in the end.

Her pattern will change eventualy, good luck you have my sympathy
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

Thank you both for your advice and sympathy!! Much appreciated. I will try everything suggested, hopefully in a week or so her little clock will gradually change ...
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I wish I could offer some advice but my little one was still handily in my tummy when we arrived.

Good luck.

Katie
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:10 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

We had the same problem with our two year old when we first arrived .. its now two months later and its much better ...

All we tried to do is to keep her awake as much as we could and then we'd sleep when she did .. just to ensure we got some sleep .. but like i said it is better now.

saying that we still get the odd night where she wakes at 3am full of beans (like last night ... god i'm tired!!)
Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk

saying that we still get the odd night where she wakes at 3am full of beans (like last night ... god i'm tired!!)
That's the normal time for getting up round here isn't it Hubby seems to feel the need to wake up at 4am anyway. He is easier to ignore than a screaming bub though - he at least understands the expression bog off
Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:46 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's the normal time for getting up round here isn't it Hubby seems to feel the need to wake up at 4am anyway. He is easier to ignore than a screaming bub though - he at least understands the expression bog off
yeah i guess so .. its a nightmare ... i'm always awake by 5:30 .. bloody birds!!!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

How old, maybe at the 3pm time give her a power nap of only 10 minutes or so. If its too long a sleep it wont work.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

LOL my little one has me up at 5am most days. :scared:
Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:56 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your baby?
Some thoughts - if she does not already, give her a nap in the morning in the hope of keeping her awake later.
Try taking her out to do some activity (mid to late afternoon) - swimming (or rather taking for a paddle with some toys), even when v young to keep her awake during, but tires them out for later.
Is it too hot, you know how warmth can make us adults feel sleepy - again swimming or daytime bath to cool down.

All the best
Old Feb 7th 2006, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by walaj
How old is your baby?
Some thoughts - if she does not already, give her a nap in the morning in the hope of keeping her awake later.
Try taking her out to do some activity (mid to late afternoon) - swimming (or rather taking for a paddle with some toys), even when v young to keep her awake during, but tires them out for later.
Is it too hot, you know how warmth can make us adults feel sleepy - again swimming or daytime bath to cool down.

All the best
She's just turned nine months. It's really difficult because she's not one for taking naps during the day, she might have a 20 minute cat-nap here and there but that's about it. She's been pretty good today though, she fell asleep at 2.30 but we had to go out at 4 so she didn't really go to sleep again properly in the car - when we got back we dunked her in the bath and she's still awake now (fingers crossed)!!

Thanks to everyone for their help - all those being woken up at 4 by babies/wildlife/husbands have my sympathies too!

Nat