Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Babies in Taxi's

Babies in Taxi's

Old Mar 9th 2004, 10:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Babies in Taxi's

This might be a stupid question, but do taxi's in Singapore & Australia have baby/child seat?.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 10:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Babies in Taxi's

Originally posted by Amazulu
This might be a stupid question, but do taxi's in Singapore & Australia have baby/child seat?.
If you phone for a taxi in OZ, you can ask for a taxi with a child seat.

Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
If you phone for a taxi in OZ, you can ask for a taxi with a child seat.
Does that include in hte queue at SYDNEY Airport ???
Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:26 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003
Does that include in hte queue at SYDNEY Airport ???

You should be able o either phone for one at the airport or go and ask the guy who controls the taxi queue to get you one
Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by jayr
You should be able o either phone for one at the airport or go and ask the guy who controls the taxi queue to get you one

Nice one. So is that quite common in Aus? You could probably ring for one in London but it would take a couple of days to get there. Are they more tuned in in Sydney ??
Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on the time of day. Fri afternoon forget it. Sydney taxis are driven by nutters. When you get in do not be surprised if they give you a street map and ask for directions.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
It depends on the time of day. Fri afternoon forget it. Sydney taxis are driven by nutters. When you get in do not be surprised if they give you a street map and ask for directions.
I am landing on Monday for a two week recce. So I need to bring my UK car seat and it will fit in an Aus taxi? Must be a better option than no car seat at all !? Do you have a better idea?
Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
And if anyone thinks Bondi is Joking, he isn't !!!

Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:13 am
ABCDiamond

I am landing on Monday for a two week recce. So I need to bring my UK car seat and it will fit in an Aus taxi? Must be a better option than no car seat at all !? Do you have a better idea?
I don't think it will fit, and I don't think it will be legal either.

Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:28 am
ABCDiamond

This info is from : http://www.nsw.bubhub.com.au/nswcarseats.htm

All child restraints used in Australia must comply with current Australian standards - one of the main features of which is the use of a rear strap to an anchor point.

Australian child restraint standards are some of the most stringent in the world and most overseas child restraints do not comply with these standards and cannot legally be used in Australia - this includes restraints from countries such as the UK and USA.

It is advisable to hire a child restraint in Australia from a reputable hire service (see section above) rather than bringing your own from overseas.

Taxi companies can usually provide child restraints if they are given sufficient notice. A surcharge is the norm for the hire of the child seat and you will often have to pay for the taxi to collect the seat from a depot or taxi company's headquarters. Your journey will be metered from the carseat collection point, to wherever you are picked up and then onto your final destination. Check all charges with your taxi company in advance and ensure that you book your vehicle well in advance (at least a few hours).

It is more cost effective to take your own restraint with you, if possible. All taxis should have the correct anchor point for fitting the restraint, but it is always advisable to call the taxi company in advance to check.

The rules for travelling in taxis with very young children do vary from state to state within Australia. It is advisable to check with taxi companies when booking and to order a child seat in advance. Customer service desks at airports (both within Australia and internationally) should be able to assist you with booking taxis with childseats if you are not able to pre-book a taxi prior to your arrival.

Old Mar 10th 2004, 12:28 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Are you hiring a car, you can get a baby seat included for $10/day. Do you have rellies who could get you a legal seat?

Check out this for info:

http://www.nsw.bubhub.com.au/nswcarseats.htm

Last edited by jayr; Mar 10th 2004 at 12:33 am.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers for that guys - just what I needed !
Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone got any info on Singapore?.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

cuthere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone got any info on Singapore?.
Child seats are not provided in Singapore taxis, neither are they mandatory (they don't expect you to lug around a car seat).
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Please bear in mind the consequences of travelling with children not strapped in, should you be involved in an accident. Click on link for the tragic news of an unrestrained baby killed in such an accident yesterday here in WA: http://www.abc.net.au/kimberley/news...3/s1063684.htm