Babies....

Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Babies....

Well I dont think we can put off the 'b' word any longer and have made a decision that its about time to dive in :scared: so to speak (coupled with the fact that close friends have spawned and MrsFlibbles ovaries are making horrendous clanging noises and disturbing the village).

We discussed where to have the baby ie Oz or UK and decided on Oz in the end due to visas, grandparents etc etc. The question is this, if she gets pregnant in the UK and then goes over to Oz does this mean she will not be able to get medical cover and we will have to stump up all the dosh to bring a little Flibble into the world as this would be a pre-existing 'condition' and therefore not covered??

Any help is very much appreciated in these difficult and scarey time
Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:15 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Babies....

Originally Posted by MrFlibbleUK
Well I dont think we can put off the 'b' word any longer and have made a decision that its about time to dive in :scared: so to speak (coupled with the fact that close friends have spawned and MrsFlibbles ovaries are making horrendous clanging noises and disturbing the village).

We discussed where to have the baby ie Oz or UK and decided on Oz in the end due to visas, grandparents etc etc. The question is this, if she gets pregnant in the UK and then goes over to Oz does this mean she will not be able to get medical cover and we will have to stump up all the dosh to bring a little Flibble into the world as this would be a pre-existing 'condition' and therefore not covered??

Not sure but congrats! Babies are lush...dont expect we will see much of you on here from now on, then??
Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Not planning the deed for a bit yet...but no harm in practicing
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:12 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I'm pregnant and conceived since arriving in Oz. Our medical insurance did not kick in until July 2005 for childbirth the baby is due May 2005. So I am going public and from what I have seen it is better than the service from the NHS. In the UK not many people go private for childbirth (or not where I'm from). I have not had to queue for ultrasounds I am seen straight away. OK I may have to wait a week from calling to the actual appointment but whats a week. And I am sure if there was something wrong you would be seen straight away.

I do have to pay to see my doctor once a month as they don't bulk bill but health cover does not cover that anyway, the same with the ultrasound.

From friends here that have gone private there are huge out of pockets bills to pay one friend $4000 even though she had cover. And from all the friends that have gone public not one person has had a complaint.

Not sure if this helps Oh I forgot to mention public is free for childbirth just like the UK if you have medicare.

Jo
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Firstly good luck with the baby, really hope everything goes well for you!

I guess I should do some searching on the forums but I shall ask anyway as its late (if not so everyone can tell me to do a search , infact I think I have offered that advice many a time...ah well), so is Medicare the equivelant of the NHS then? and do you autmatically get Medicare when you go to Oz? and I take it then its not like medical insurance ie pre-existing conditions dont apply? <breathe> and finally....does Medicare just pay for a percentage of the treatment and you have to pay the rest?

Questions, questions......Thanks

(Might have to get MrsFlibble onto these 'ere newsgroups methinks the whole Oz, Babies thing is freaking her out!).
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

so is Medicare the equivelant of the NHS then?
More or less.

and do you autmatically get Medicare when you go to Oz?
If as a citizen or permanent resident - yes.

and I take it then its not like medical insurance ie pre-existing conditions dont apply?
Correct. However you may want medical insurance as well and pre-existing conditions may impact this.

<breathe> and finally....does Medicare just pay for a percentage of the treatment and you have to pay the rest?
I think it depends.

Jeremy
Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:54 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Firstly good luck with the baby, really hope everything goes well for you!

I guess I should do some searching on the forums but I shall ask anyway as its late (if not so everyone can tell me to do a search , infact I think I have offered that advice many a time...ah well), so is Medicare the equivelant of the NHS then? and do you autmatically get Medicare when you go to Oz? and I take it then its not like medical insurance ie pre-existing conditions dont apply? <breathe> and finally....does Medicare just pay for a percentage of the treatment and you have to pay the rest?

Questions, questions......Thanks

(Might have to get MrsFlibble onto these 'ere newsgroups methinks the whole Oz, Babies thing is freaking her out!).

Thank you for that. We are on a PR visa and got medicare eligibilty the day we landed in Oz.

Some doctors bulk bill and you pay nothing but they are very hard to find. Where I live my doctor does not bulk bill and I pay $45 per visit and then medicare refund me $25. So I pay $20 in the end. When I had my blood tests for the pregnancy I was able to bulk bill and paid nothing to the nurse at the doctors surgery.

My dating ultrasound was bulk billed however my ultrasound for checking for downs syndrome cost me $60 as it is not a standard one that Medicare covers.

However my hubby visited the doctor on saturday for a repeat script as his tonsilitus came back and the doctor bulk billed him so it cost us nothing. We don't understand why not. But anyway we were not going to argue.

If you are entitled to Medicare you will be able to have a baby in a public hospital and pay nothing but there are certain options which could cost you

see the link which is relevant to Victoria but gives you an idea

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/materni...ls/model01.htm

if you click on the different models within the public system it tells you what you can expect medicare to pay for and what you may have to pay for.

I hope this helps explain things I am by no way an expert and am only starting out the first time I visited a doctor here was to find out I was pregnant!!!

Jo
Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

biba is on a distinguished road

Hi,
we are also on a PR visa and will be arriving in Melbourne in 2 weeks time when I'll be 6 months pregnant.

Can you recommend a hospital to have a baby at? How does it work - do you get referred to one by your GP or can you choose if you're on Medicare?

Any info very welcome!
An anxious first time mum :scared:

Originally Posted by joh117
Thank you for that. We are on a PR visa and got medicare eligibilty the day we landed in Oz.

Some doctors bulk bill and you pay nothing but they are very hard to find. Where I live my doctor does not bulk bill and I pay $45 per visit and then medicare refund me $25. So I pay $20 in the end. When I had my blood tests for the pregnancy I was able to bulk bill and paid nothing to the nurse at the doctors surgery.

My dating ultrasound was bulk billed however my ultrasound for checking for downs syndrome cost me $60 as it is not a standard one that Medicare covers.

However my hubby visited the doctor on saturday for a repeat script as his tonsilitus came back and the doctor bulk billed him so it cost us nothing. We don't understand why not. But anyway we were not going to argue.

If you are entitled to Medicare you will be able to have a baby in a public hospital and pay nothing but there are certain options which could cost you

see the link which is relevant to Victoria but gives you an idea

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/materni...ls/model01.htm

if you click on the different models within the public system it tells you what you can expect medicare to pay for and what you may have to pay for.

I hope this helps explain things I am by no way an expert and am only starting out the first time I visited a doctor here was to find out I was pregnant!!!

Jo
Old Nov 19th 2004, 3:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Romantic, aren't you Whatever, and whenever, all the best practising. It is the best part, after that it is down hill
Old Nov 19th 2004, 10:53 pm
Pass The Post

Originally Posted by biba
Hi,
we are also on a PR visa and will be arriving in Melbourne in 2 weeks time when I'll be 6 months pregnant.

Can you recommend a hospital to have a baby at? How does it work - do you get referred to one by your GP or can you choose if you're on Medicare?

Any info very welcome!
An anxious first time mum :scared:

I had the choice of two public hospials where I lived. I have gone for Frankston as it is the nearest and friends have all spoken highly of the hospital from when they had a baby.

It will really depend on where you live. The is a womens hospital in melbourne. Not sure of the name. It is not something I have looked into as I decided to have my baby at my local hospital.

Where will you be living when you get here? Your GP doesn't tell you where to have the baby it is up to you mine just gave me my options and was trying to sway me into going private for some reason.

Jo