Reload this Page >

BA Return Flight 250 euro cheaper than One-way Flight

BA Return Flight 250 euro cheaper than One-way Flight

Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

rcladin will become famous soon enough
Default BA Return Flight 250 euro cheaper than One-way Flight

What going on, how can the return flight be cheaper than one-way,

got quotes on the ba website for one-way from Dublin to Melbourne on 15th June 2006.

Single 1530 euro
Return 1284 euro

both are same class etc

any ideas why that is?

I've sent an email to BA but no reply as of yet!

cheers
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:12 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA Return Flight 250 euro cheaper than One-way Flight

it could be due to their 'sale' . The return may fall under the promotion, but I have already looked into it that single tickets do not.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by walaj
it could be due to their 'sale' . The return may fall under the promotion, but I have already looked into it that single tickets do not.

thanks dude,

i guess BA are just having a laugh then, no way i'm paying 1500 euro for a single, that's over a thousand sterling
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:56 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rcladin
thanks dude,

i guess BA are just having a laugh then, no way i'm paying 1500 euro for a single, that's over a thousand sterling
Have you checked Quantas? I noticed that they had a special for about 1100 Euro's (from Amsterdam) when I checked earlier this week.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by adriang
Have you checked Quantas? I noticed that they had a special for about 1100 Euro's (from Amsterdam) when I checked earlier this week.
thanks, yeah we checked - BA and Quantas very expensive, i would have though 1100 euro for a oneway ticket is still pretty expensive

the cheapest is with cathay pacific via hong kong about 700 euro unfortunately 12 hour wait in HK so not really on

but i think we will go with emirates about 800 euro, Dub-Birm-dubai-melbourne

i think they probably go dubai-singapore-melbourne

I just think it's ridiculous BA return is 250 euro cheaper than single

I would have thought a single flight should only be slightly more than half the return price but apparently not it appears most are only slightly cheaper than a return flight.

cheers
Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:12 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

thanks, yeah we checked - BA and Quantas very expensive, i would have though 1100 euro for a oneway ticket is still pretty expensive

the cheapest is with cathay pacific via hong kong about 700 euro unfortunately 12 hour wait in HK so not really on

but i think we will go with emirates about 800 euro, Dub-Birm-dubai-melbourne

i think they probably go dubai-singapore-melbourne

I just think it's ridiculous BA return is 250 euro cheaper than single

I would have thought a single flight should only be slightly more than half the return price but apparently not it appears most are only slightly cheaper than a return flight.

cheers
I think the return flights thing is common across all airlines, and it is all to do with being able to predict that a seat will be filled.

I travel a lot on business, and I've done country tours where it is cheaper to book several return flighs, only use one leg of the flight, but be able to do a 'round trip' of several one way flights.

Just some thoughts about your flights, have you checked the Asian airlines? Thai, Sing, Malay, China (Tiawanese rather than PRC), Eva? Also, if there are any 'round the world' specials available, even if you are only going half way? I usually check and double check everything when travelling, including comparing brokers/travel agents prices vs's the airlines direct.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:20 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

What going on, how can the return flight be cheaper than one-way,

got quotes on the ba website for one-way from Dublin to Melbourne on 15th June 2006.

Single 1530 euro
Return 1284 euro

both are same class etc

any ideas why that is?

I've sent an email to BA but no reply as of yet!

cheers
That is common with most airlines, we have often bought a return and ended up throwing away the return portion. Doesn't make sense I know and no one has ever been able to give me a reasonable explanation. Pls be sure to let us all know if you find out....
Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TruBrit
That is common with most airlines, we have often bought a return and ended up throwing away the return portion. Doesn't make sense I know and no one has ever been able to give me a reasonable explanation. Pls be sure to let us all know if you find out....
Just wondering about all this, when some airlines give you additional baggage allowance when you present your pr visa, does that only apply on one way flights? If so that's very unethical of them to offer "free additional baggage allowance" when you are actually paying for it!!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happymum
"free additional baggage allowance" when you are actually paying for it!!
hiya happymum, sorry I can't offer any help but one thing I'm learnt over the yrs nobody gives you anything for free...lol you usually are paying for it one way or another...lucky you in Surrey...my home, wish I woz there
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

For anyone interested this is the official reply from BA

Dear rcladin

British Airways(as with all IATA registered scheduled airlines) generally charge more for a one-way ticket than a return.

Restrictions can be placed on return tickets - for example, minimum/maximum stays, advance purchase or simply making the tickets non changeable or refundable. In this way we can offer a range of fares to suit the varying requirements of our customers.

As one-way tickets cannot have the first of these restrictions, we are limited in the range of what we offer and as such, one way travel may appear expensive when compared with a range of return fares. They will however carry the benefit of being fully changeable and refundable.
Additionally at times we still offer reduced one way fares which will, where offered carry restrictions either on advance purchase or flexibility to change booked date or airline.

Thank you for contacting us.

Praveen
British Airways
http://www.ba.com

its madness