B&Q

Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B&Q

Over the last 12 months, we have spent so much time in B&Q doing up our houses ready to sell that we may have well been employees.

Just to make us feel at home in Melbourne, what would be the equivalent of it or should we start weening ourselves of it now?????
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:35 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B&Q

Originally Posted by anypan
Over the last 12 months, we have spent so much time in B&Q doing up our houses ready to sell that we may have well been employees.

Just to make us feel at home in Melbourne, what would be the equivalent of it or should we start weening ourselves of it now?????

The closest thing Australia has to B & Q is Bunnings Hardware, which is nationwide chain owned by Westfarmers P/L. They have the same size buildings as B & Q but beware the service is not the same, as I had the chance to compare the two last year when I was in the UK and went there with my brother-in-law(also an avid DIY renovater).

I have heard many reports of their staff either
A. not having good product knowledge;

B. not providing service to customers.

I personally went to one local store in Brisbane and compared the service to where I worked, and found it seriously lacking. That was at least five years ago and I have not been back since. A friend of mine was handed off to eight people once and could not get their query answered.

Mid-size hardware stores are still competitive price-wise and may provide much better service. Even if they don't have the product you need, they can order it from suppliers within a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited by The Bloke; Oct 8th 2004 at 10:38 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:46 pm
Part of that group......

vickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant futurevickeyvixen has a brilliant future

Hiya

We're still new to Melbourne so have limited experience as far as Bunnings is concered but the stores we have come across are easily the size of B&Q Warehouse, and your never far from the next one. The variety of goods offered surpasses anything offered in B&Q. On the ocassions we have had to deal with the staff we have found them both helpful and knowledgeable. I don't think you'll have any problem leaving B&Q and you'll have loads of fun exploring these huge warehouses of fun....

Vickeyvixen
Old Oct 8th 2004, 11:30 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Bunnings doesnt have much of a range though, only 45,000 items.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 6:37 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anypan

Come on now Angela, you are going for a change of lifestyle remember. You won't need to be DIY obsessed as you will not be selling your house to go somewhere, you can sit back and take it easy.
Sarah
Old Oct 9th 2004, 7:33 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

As said, Bunnings is the main one. I've personally found the smaller stores pretty useless for info, but the larger Warehouse sized ones not too bad. Mitre10 is another nationwide store for smaller bits of hardware etc.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/site/
http://www.mitre10.com.au/
Old Oct 9th 2004, 8:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Another one for Brisbanites:

www.bretts.com.au

(just ask for The Bloke!!)
Old Oct 10th 2004, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

There's a Bunnings superstore near us and the people who work there are always very helpful to us. The people around here seem to be into DIY big time.....By the way, that's one of the major things to be aware of when you buy a house here. Lots of people think they're fantastic at DIY and they're not - we've seen a few DIY nightmares!
Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:24 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by teach
Come on now Angela, you are going for a change of lifestyle remember. You won't need to be DIY obsessed as you will not be selling your house to go somewhere, you can sit back and take it easy.
Sarah
They may be changing their lifestyle, but they still need somewhere to buy, their chainsaws, leafblowers, ride-on lawn mowers, cement mxers, ... all the things you didn't need until you come here.

Personally, I have found Bunnings to be better than B&Q. However, it is probably likely that the best B&Q is better than the worst Bunnings; so not everyone may have the same opinion.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:17 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

A Wee Tip !!!!
If you are going to bunnings. Wear old clothes, the place is filthy. Also very dangerous for kids and adults. I sometimes wonder if someones sleeping with the health and safety
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Our local Bunnings is ahuge one and overall, i much prefer it to B&Q.... The staff at Bunnings far more helpful and clued up in comparison...one big minus for me though..their plants section is not so good and overpriced... has anypne else noticed that plants tend to be on the expensive side in Aus?
Old Oct 10th 2004, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point

There seems to be a good selection to look at and settle us in nicely.
Most people go for a nice drive to the beach or a walk in the country, but recently, our trips out have been to the latest B&Q store and aiming for the bargain bucket corner.

Even the kids spot the 'toys' as we call them on the adverts on the telly, the latest advert on sky is for a laser level which the youngest says will be a great birthday present for me. Well I suppose it will be better than the socks and shaving foam from last year.