Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ayers Rock Uluru - Is it worth a visit please?

Ayers Rock Uluru - Is it worth a visit please?

Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Ayers Rock Uluru - Is it worth a visit please?

Hi all.

Himself and I are looking a wedding anniversary in the face & so we are looking for somewhere we can mark this particular day & put some memories in place.

Himself has suggested Ayers Rock/Uluru. It would be June time.

Is that a good place to spend a few days ? Is the rock worth seeing? I'd have camped close by for the heck of it when I was a young'un. These days I probably need something a bit more comfy.

Silly question. Would I get to see kangaroos boinging about the place.

thanks
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:02 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ayers Rock Uluru - Is it worth a visit please?

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi all.

Himself and I are looking a wedding anniversary in the face & so we are looking for somewhere we can mark this particular day & put some memories in place.

Is that a good place to spend a few days ? Is the rock worth seeing? I'd have camped close by for the heck of it when I was a young'un. These days I probably need something a bit more comfy.

thanks
June time is probably good from an 'avoid the flies' standpoint, though it will get cold at night. Uluru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rock & general area is worth seeing if you haven't seen outback before - more point to climbing it I would say. Only enough diversion for a few days at most. Can't say I saw any kangaroos there.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:12 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth going for the Sounds of Silence dinner that the resort offers; great astronomy talk and amazing to see the milky way.

We didn't climb the rock, just walked around it. It's an amazing place and highly recommended.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

thanks
I've always wanted to climb Ayers Rock - everyone I know who's done it has said it's worth it
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

you're not supposed to climb the rock now are you?? It's protected

Please don't climb | Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park | Parks Australia

Please don't climb Uluru

That's a really important sacred thing that you are climbing... You shouldn't climb. It's not the real thing about this place. And maybe that makes you a bit sad. But anyway that's what we have to say. We are obliged by Tjukurpa to say. And all the tourists will brighten up and say, 'Oh I see. This is the right way. This is the thing that's right. This is the proper way: no climbing.'
Kunmanara, traditional owner

The climb is not prohibited but we ask you to respect our law and culture by not climbing Uluru.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

thanks

It is definitely worth going - As GG says, the sounds of silence tour is excellent, and I also recommend the camel ride that goeas around the base at dusk. That was well worth it.

S
Old Mar 31st 2015, 2:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This is sounding like a goer.

Good thought about the flies. We went to Kakadu back in 1997 and the flies were a bit of a nightmare .

I'm into the night sky bigtime so that also sounds right up my street.

I think himself wants a 'Close Encounter' with that rock. I'd be up for the camel ride too. Been on a camel a few times now and I manage that better than a horse.

What about a place to stay please?

...edit.....

There seems to be a few different named places but all under the umbrella of 'Ayers Rock Resort'.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 31st 2015 at 2:16 am.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 2:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a few different named places but all under the umbrella of 'Ayers Rock Resort'.
Yep, basically one company has it sewn up, the only difference between the places is the price points they hit, all overpriced.

And it's perfectly possible to climb the rock, just be aware it's a 45 deg angle, going up 1000 feet, with little to hang onto. It knackered me, but the little japanese grannies were shooting up there.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 2:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Yep, basically one company has it sewn up, the only difference between the places is the price points they hit, all overpriced.

And it's perfectly possible to climb the rock, just be aware it's a 45 deg angle, going up 1000 feet, with little to hang onto. It knackered me, but the little japanese grannies were shooting up there.

Yes, I stayed at the resort, and it was a bit pricey, but all very convenient, and the organised tours come and collect you from there etc. There is a camp site too...

I didn't get to climb the rock, because I was one of the handful of visitors who get to see it being rained on

S
Old Mar 31st 2015, 3:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No...You have to come to Perth instead. Accommodation is very inexpensive ($0) at Dorothy's Resort and Spa and there's the added bonus of a car at your disposal.

Although, Uluru is probably a pretty close second.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 4:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No...You have to come to Perth instead. Accommodation is very inexpensive ($0) at Dorothy's Resort and Spa and there's the added bonus of a car at your disposal.

Although, Uluru is probably a pretty close second.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 4:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
you're not supposed to climb the rock now are you?? It's protected

Please don't climb | Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park | Parks Australia
If it's not banned then you can climb it

Be all that you can be
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't climb the rock out of respect of it being a sacred site but the base walk was spectacular. You should also be there for sunrise/sunset - an amazing experience. If you want to climb a 'rock', go to Kings Canyon but mind the pesky flies!
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't climb it out of respect for the tribal beliefs. They do believe it to be a sacred site

and I understand, from when we were there, that it is the tribe that runs the accommodations .............. the area is under their control.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 7:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by scilly
I wouldn't climb it out of respect for the tribal beliefs. They do believe it to be a sacred site

and I understand, from when we were there, that it is the tribe that runs the accommodations .............. the area is under their control.
But if it that sacred, then why don't they ban climbing completely?

The reason being that if many people couldn't climb it, they wouldn't bother going and the tourist business around Ayers Rock would suffer

So obviously money is more important than tradition - I can dig that

Respect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.