Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ayers Rock now known as Uluru?

Ayers Rock now known as Uluru?

Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ayers Rock now known as Uluru?

Originally Posted by yanH
I was talking about political correctness. Why are minority cultures etc put up on a pedestal with no criticism allowed but our culture is fair game for all?
But they were here before anyone else so whats politcally correct in giving back something its original name.

I do agree that we are too polically correct in a lot of things, but not this.

Jo
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:36 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
But they were here before anyone else so whats politcally correct in giving back something its original name.
...but in the eyes of the European explorers/conquerors they didn't have a flag, thus no right to ownership. It's the same in lots of cultures where we have stuck our collective noses.

Al
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by yanH
Why does this only ever work one way though?
i think you'll find as a race that aborigines are very respectful people...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jokerman
Do ozzies use the term 'Uluru' or 'Ayers rock'?

According to the Guardian newspaper one should only ever use the term Uluru.

You'll find that most people will still refer to it as Ayers Rock.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Common mistake but names come from expressions of early settlers

"Here is the rock"

With First Australians

"Who the hell are you?"

Ironic really considering the recent tourist campaign of where the hell are you. Its pretty obvious toots at the rock.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:01 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
You'll find that most people will still refer to it as Ayers Rock.
Some might, but I guess it's a question of perspective. Once you know that it's not called Ayers Rock then you won't call it that again.

I would guess that most of the younger generation were/are taught that it's called Uluru, but might know that it was also known as Ayers Rock.

I don't think any of us are too old and set in our ways not to be able to adapt. However, I'm pretty sure there still some stubborn people who walk into a shop and ask for a Marathon bar instead of a Snickers. The difference is that while it was once common place to do that, these days I would bet that the shop owner would look at you blankly and not know what you're talking about.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Seriously, does it really matter what you call it? Uluru, Ayers Rock, they both refer to the same land mark and I really don't see what the fuss is in using them interchangably. Sure, Uluru is the official term and as such should be used in official situations but day to day it shouldn't make a difference which you use.

If anyone takes offence at Ayers Rock being used, they really need to get a grip.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MattW82
Seriously, does it really matter what you call it? Uluru, Ayers Rock, they both refer to the same land mark and I really don't see what the fuss is in using them interchangably. Sure, Uluru is the official term and as such should be used in official situations but day to day it shouldn't make a difference which you use.

If anyone takes offence at Ayers Rock being used, they really need to get a grip.
Hear hear - my thoughts exactly. The best that can come of it is visitors to Ayers Rock, the majority of whom will know it as that, learn the official name and understand the rock's significance to the local people. That is not a reason to never refer to it as Ayers Rock though, as it's only a blinkin' name...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Hear hear - my thoughts exactly. The best that can come of it is visitors to Ayers Rock, the majority of whom will know it as that, learn the official name and understand the rock's significance to the local people. That is not a reason to never refer to it as Ayers Rock though, as it's only a blinkin' name...
In a lot of cultures though a name is seen as a magical thing. There are beliefs in ancient Norse concerning the fact that if you use someone's name too much in everyday speech, then its magic decreases. Many aboriginal tribes wll not use the name of someone who has passed away - in fact occasionally you see TV programmes here with a warning at the beginning that they may contain images and names of people no longer with us.
Names have a great significance to the people who knew the rock long before it was named Ayres Rock, and out of deference to their beliefs many people will only refer to it as Uluru.

According to Wikipedia, it is officially known as "Uluru/Ayers Rock", since November 2002.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

moonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the rough

I've been to Uluru twice, the last time I gave a lift to a aboriginal couple and she referred to it as Ayers Rock. Maybe that was for my benefit....
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

At school in Perth in the 80's I was taught it was Ayers Rock.

To me it will always be Ayers Rock.

People can call it what they like, they'll just get a blank look from me unless they call it Ayers Rock.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
At school in Perth in the 80's I was taught it was Ayers Rock.

To me it will always be Ayers Rock.

People can call it what they like, they'll just get a blank look from me unless they call it Ayers Rock.
I went to school in WA in the 70's and early to mid 80's and we were taught it was Ayers Rock - but for at least the last 15 years I've referred to at as Uluru. I think it's a pretty much the standard in Australia these days.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Nicholson_family is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because you once called something one name it doesn't mean you always have to call it that.

I mean, I used to call my wife attractive.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:01 pm

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nicholson_family
Just because you once called something one name it doesn't mean you always have to call it that.

I mean, I used to call my wife attractive.
OK, thanks for the responses. Now, what is the aboriginal name for Sydney? Or even Australia for that matter?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

"Barani is an Aboriginal word of the Eora, the original inhabitants of the place where Sydney City now stands. It means 'yesterday'. Sydney dates from the arrival of the first convicts to the place in 1788. For Indigenous people, who have lived here for at least forty thousand years, that is only yesterday. In 1788 when the locals were asked 'what is this place?', the answer they gave was 'werrong' or 'warran' which translates roughly as 'here...this place'. Perhaps Sydney would be better named Warran?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.