Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ayers Rock now known as Uluru?

Ayers Rock now known as Uluru?

Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:01 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ayers Rock now known as Uluru?

Originally Posted by MattW82
Seriously, does it really matter what you call it? Uluru, Ayers Rock, they both refer to the same land mark and I really don't see what the fuss is in using them interchangably. Sure, Uluru is the official term and as such should be used in official situations but day to day it shouldn't make a difference which you use.

If anyone takes offence at Ayers Rock being used, they really need to get a grip.
Jesus, no-one apart from some overzelious newpaper hack on the other side of the world is suggesting that you should never refer to it as Ayers Rock. It's just a name. However people are now being taught that it is called Uluru and gradually all us old buggers who knew it as Ayers Rock will gradually die out.

I'm sure you can call it Ayers Rock in conversation, but if you're living in Australia a lot of the people might look at you in the same way as if you went around England calling a Snickers bar a Marathon (which was my earlier point).

This isn't a "politically correct" thing, it's a "change" thing. Names change and it's our responsibility to adapt or eventually look stupid. In the same way that we no longer call a Car an Automobile or a Record Deck a Gramaphone any more. If you want to sound like Monty Burns for the Simpsons by referring to the Uluru as Ayers Rock in ten years time then go for it. People might just look at you oddly.

Originally Posted by Jokerman
OK, thanks for the responses. Now, what is the aboriginal name for Sydney? Or even Australia for that matter?
Not sure, but have the country renamed Sydney or the entire country ? I didn't hear about that.

Again, I don't see why this should become an "aboriginal/racial" thing. The premis is simple to understand. If the "East Link Freeway" was renamed to the "Steve Irwin Memorial Freeway" that eventually people will stop referring to it as the "East Link" and instead call it the "Irwin", otherwise people will eventually not know what they are talking about. As they renamed Ayers Rock in 1985 I think that 23 years is enough time for us to accept that it's changed and move on. Just because we were taught that it was called Ayers Rock in school a million years ago doesn't mean that it still is now.

Al
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

well said
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Jesus, no-one apart from some overzelious newpaper hack on the other side of the world is suggesting that you should never refer to it as Ayers Rock. It's just a name. However people are now being taught that it is called Uluru and gradually all us old buggers who knew it as Ayers Rock will gradually die out.
I doubt that very much, given that it's still taught as being called Ayers Rock, as well as Uluru.

I'm sure you can call it Ayers Rock in conversation, but if you're living in Australia a lot of the people might look at you in the same way as if you went around England calling a Snickers bar a Marathon (which was my earlier point).
My Australian girlfriend calls it Ayers Rock. As does her family. We'll see if other people look at me funny when I mention Ayers Rock when I get there, though I doubt it very much.

Oh and it's absolutely nothing like when Mars renamed Marathon bars to Snickers - that was pure marketing, plain and simple. The whole Uluru/Ayers Rock business is nothing to do with marketing, it's to do with trying to appease 2 different cultures.

This isn't a "politically correct" thing, it's a "change" thing. Names change and it's our responsibility to adapt or eventually look stupid. In the same way that we no longer call a Car an Automobile or a Record Deck a Gramaphone any more. If you want to sound like Monty Burns for the Simpsons by referring to the Uluru as Ayers Rock in ten years time then go for it. People might just look at you oddly.
If that's really the case, why, as Pollyana linked above, is it officially called Uluru/Ayers Rock?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:36 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattW82
I doubt that very much, given that it's still taught as being called Ayers Rock, as well as Uluru.
In England or Australia, because my kids are being taught to call it "Uluru" ?

Oh and it's absolutely nothing like when Mars renamed Marathon bars to Snickers - that was pure marketing, plain and simple.
My wife worked on the Mars account for J Walter Thompson in 1990 when they changed it. The parent company Mars In introduced the Snickers bar in the US in the 30's. It was sold globally as the Snickers bar, but in the UK they used the name Marathon. They renamed it back to Snickers in 1990 to bring it in line with their global brand. A lot of other brands were doing the same around that time. Jif to Cif, etc.

If that's really the case, why, as Pollyana linked above, is it officially called Uluru/Ayers Rock?
Nope, you're right I stand corrected. It appears that some Aussie bureaucrat decided that it should be both instead of just Uluru.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In 1993, a dual naming policy was adopted that allowed official names that consist of both the traditional Aboriginal name and the English name. On 15 December 1993, it was renamed "Ayers Rock/Uluru" and became the first officially dual-named feature in the Northern Territory. The order of the dual names was officially reversed to "Uluru/Ayers Rock" on 6 November 2002 following a request from the Regional Tourism Association in Alice Springs.
Now even I'm confused. What a load of cock. Just call it one or the other.

Last edited by bigAPE; Oct 29th 2008 at 8:39 am.