Reload this Page >

BE AWARE!!! HOUSING GUIDE

Wikiposts

BE AWARE!!! HOUSING GUIDE

Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:08 am
Just Joined

ajruk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BE AWARE!!! HOUSING GUIDE

Gotcha! I am learning all the time here! I really appreciate all your help!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

And some suburbs are very small, or not even really suburbs. I think Huntingdale falls into that category. While there might be a station of that name and golf course I think you'll find most of the area comes under Oakleigh or the other surrounding suburbs. So you have to search around.

Also to illustrate a point :

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1226362393

Looks very nice, but no mention that it is located on an 8 lane highway.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Haha I seeyour point. Can I just ask, I have seen many attractive looking houses for around 1200 aus/d a month. 3 Bed. Now does that seem about right to you lot? Also there seems to be loads, yet I have read certain blogs stating it's hard to find rental properties?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:20 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've found Google Maps invaluable - google the address, zoom right in, set to Satellite image, see what's around it.

edit: arjuk, it really depends where you are going. A lot of talk on here has been about Sydney property which is currently very scarce (and expensive).
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:21 am
Just Joined

LOL you must have read my mind! I have just been doing that!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:22 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajruk
LOL you must have read my mind! I have just been doing that!

Also, it's what they don't publish photos of that should get you wondering. No bathroom shots? It's probably crappy.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Haha I seeyour point. Can I just ask, I have seen many attractive looking houses for around 1200 aus/d a month. 3 Bed. Now does that seem about right to you lot? Also there seems to be loads, yet I have read certain blogs stating it's hard to find rental properties?
Are you sure those figures are per month?

Rents here are quoted per week.

If you're finding a lot of places costing $1200 (and it turns out it's per week), then I'm not surprised they're free and available (because that's a very expensive rent ).
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

No, that does seem very cheap for anything within 20km of the city and in a reasonable area.

If you don't mind a developing area where the houses are new and the infrastructure less developed you could get a very nice house for that. If you are working in Huntingdale then i suppose you have the option of going a lot further down the Dandenong or Nepean Highways and getting cheaper properties.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Okay some are slightly more, but not much

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/SearchResults.aspx?mode=rent&Refine=1&state=VIC&ar eas=South+East&sub=Hampton+Park&bedrooms=>3&from=0 &to=0&proptypes=&ptdes=All%20Property%20Types&sear chterm=Hampton%20Park
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've found Google Maps invaluable - google the address, zoom right in, set to Satellite image, see what's around it.
Have you seen Streetview on Google maps - your house is probably on it.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Okay some are slightly more, but not much

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/SearchResults.aspx?mode=rent&Refine=1&state=VIC&ar eas=South+East&sub=Hampton+Park&bedrooms=>3&from=0 &to=0&proptypes=&ptdes=All%20Property%20Types&sear chterm=Hampton%20Park
They are 30 miles from the CBD, that's why.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:37 am
Just Joined

wow you are right! looks close on google earth. Its like 43km! Damn!!!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Is sandringham a nice area?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Is sandringham a nice area?
Yes, generally anything along the bay will be a nice (and expensive) area. The next 'band' of suburbs usually provide much more value for money, while retaining the ability to drive 5-10 minutes to the beach.

So instead of Brighton, Hampton, Sandringham etc, try East Hampton, East Brighton, Moorabbin, Mentone etc. All provide good houses and good locations.

Have a search on East Hampton, very well located and still reasonably priced for that area.

Just like you underestimated the distance on the map for Hampton Park, it is very easy to do the same for many houses in Melbourne and walking anywhere becomes impractical.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:47 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by sr71
Have you seen Streetview on Google maps - your house is probably on it.
Yeah, but then I know what my house looks like already.

I've found the Satellite view good for seeing how green the area is, if there is a shopping mall/industrial estate next door, whether or not my neighbour has a pool that kind of thing.

Not sure how useful www.cityhobo.com is for Melbourne? It's quite good for Sydney, so long as you don't take it too literally.

edit: Google Maps also good for working out directions/distances/travelling times, so long as you realise the times are obviously done with very favourable conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.