Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BE AWARE!!! HOUSING GUIDE

Wikiposts

BE AWARE!!! HOUSING GUIDE

Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE AWARE!!! HOUSING GUIDE

Originally Posted by ajruk
Folks you are scaring me now! Need some advice. Moving out with wife and 4 year old and newborn baby. Had to come on student visa firstly for 2 years before applying permanently to MELBOURNE. I had found a container ship that will take my stuff for 1700 pounds so I am gonna do that. I am gonna need a 3 bedroomed rental place within 30mins of Huntingdale. I really need to sort this rental out ASAP as the baby is 4 weeks old. I am flying xmas day. Any one please know a reasonable area that would suit, and Ideally has a reasonable school for next year???? How much will rent be roughly? So much planning here, its getting quite scary! Thanks
have you got accomodation for when you land? as most esate agents close for christmas and it can take up to 2 weeks to get in to a rental
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Folks you are scaring me now! Need some advice. Moving out with wife and 4 year old and newborn baby. Had to come on student visa firstly for 2 years before applying permanently to MELBOURNE. I had found a container ship that will take my stuff for 1700 pounds so I am gonna do that. I am gonna need a 3 bedroomed rental place within 30mins of Huntingdale. I really need to sort this rental out ASAP as the baby is 4 weeks old. I am flying xmas day. Any one please know a reasonable area that would suit, and Ideally has a reasonable school for next year???? How much will rent be roughly? So much planning here, its getting quite scary! Thanks
Within 30 minutes of Huntingdale is quite a large selection of suburbs, pretty much the entire South East and where you live will depend on your budget.

Oakleigh, Moorabbin, Highett, Murrumbeena, Mentone, Hampton East etc are all fairly affordable suburbs and pretty close by. If you have a lot of money then you can look more at the better suburbs like Hampton, Brighton, Malvern, Armadale, Caulfield, Bentleigh etc. All these suburbs are probably within 15-20 minutes even during rush hour.

Them there is Springvale, Clayton, Noble Park etc, but I think these suburbs are not as nice. (Springvale is pretty bad)

What sort of school are you after?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:33 am
Just Joined

ajruk is an unknown quantity at this point

He is 4 on saturday, so I guess in a year it will be infant school. This thread is by far the most useful I have seen. Everyone is very helpful. Are there any expat clubs to join on arrival for useful face 2 face advice? Has anyone ever heard of anyone renting before they arrive by paying a few montsh in advance?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
  • Bosch Washer 6.5kg Front Loader Model WAE20260AU $825
  • Bosch Dryer 7kg Condenser Model WTE84100AU $1228
  • Fisher & Paykel 442L Bottom Mount (ooh er missus) FF Model E442BRE $1440
  • Noirot Electric Heaters with timers - 3 sizes costing $310, $280, $250
You have gone for 'premium' brands though, to not scare anyone off you can get perfectly functioning white goods for much cheaper than those prices if you want to spend less. Being a male my only requirement for a washer is an on/off switch and a regular wash cycle.

I'm not even sure a dryer is necessary in Melbourne at all, after living in flats in the UK for that last 8 years I'm really enjoying washing that's been dried outside.

The Korean/Japanese brands are worth looking at too, they are making some of the best appliances these days (LG, Samsung etc)

For SIM cards, I'm quite impressed with these Vodafone pre-paid things, $49 for something like $350 worth of calls. I'm not even going to bother going onto a contract.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:41 am
Just Joined

When I land, I have found a 2 bedroom apartment that quite nice, but is 150ausd a day!!!! I havent paid yet, but if anyone has any suggestions, now would be a good time! ALSO, do you think the agents will be open on 27/28/29/30 of december?? Cheers
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

He is 4 on saturday, so I guess in a year it will be infant school. This thread is by far the most useful I have seen. Everyone is very helpful. Are there any expat clubs to join on arrival for useful face 2 face advice? Has anyone ever heard of anyone renting before they arrive by paying a few montsh in advance?

I couldn't find any guides to infant/primary schools at all. There are some books on Secondary and university education that have rankings and details. I know some people want to keep their children in the same area so that they'll grow up with the same friends so it might be worth looking at what secondary schools you like rather than a primary school. Around that area I think MacKinnon is very popular state school that ranks very well, but prices rise in the school zone.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:44 am
Just Joined

I have to say, I would rather rent somewhere ina good area where I can then buy in, as you have a valid point, and he is already gonna lose all his current friends, which he doesnt as yet know!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Yes, you did say they are expensive. You also said various items are "very basic", "crappy", "very odd", not as "advanced" etc., here, and I think most of us are responding to that.

sr71, my fridge/freezer is Fisher & Paykel, and it's fine.

You also might find that local brands are simply different badges on brands you know well - Westinghouse being Electrolux, etc.
And where did I say they were 'crappy', 'very odd'?? I think you are reading a bit mre into my words than are there. Maybe take then time to have another read.

Anyway, Good guys, be a little careful with them, they tried to sell us a returned dishwasher as if it was new! We pointed out it was wet, they said that is because all are tested with water before being sent out, fine. Then we noticed food in the catcher at the bottom! They then admitted it had been sold, but the lady 'changed her mind' so they gave her her money back, but then by the tills was a big sign saying no refunds for people changing their minds!
Also, our local one does not give discounts for cash (which makes watching the adverts very anoying), they will give you the same discount however you are paying.

The best place we found for white goods/ tv etc was Myer. They matched any prices and gave free delivery, and have a points card, so we ended up with $40 of vouchers too.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

When I land, I have found a 2 bedroom apartment that quite nice, but is 150ausd a day!!!! I havent paid yet, but if anyone has any suggestions, now would be a good time! ALSO, do you think the agents will be open on 27/28/29/30 of december?? Cheers
I doubt they will, maybe you could pre-arrange a meeting.

I would strongly advise against pre-paying a few months rent without seeing the property or the area it is in. It is incredibly hard to visualise somewhere based on maps and the internet. Find a few places on www.realestate.com.au and then time driving round to them, just on the outside. See what the local facilities are like, distance to schools and train stations etc.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

also what looks nice on a photo on the internet - doesn't always look good in real life - and most ea do not want to speak/email to anyone who is not actually in au

you need to be in au and then look round the areas first then you can decide which area you want to live in
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:51 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
You have gone for 'premium' brands though, to not scare anyone off you can get perfectly functioning white goods for much cheaper than those prices if you want to spend less. Being a male my only requirement for a washer is an on/off switch and a regular wash cycle. .
You're right, I have, but after 6 years of using crappy landlord-provided stuff I think I deserve them.

I did also mention Westinghouse/Electrolux, but was specifically asked about Bosch prices.

Boys. Your clothes will last longer with the right programme, and you can also save the world by lowering the temperature/shortening the wash cycle. Mine has a 15 minute "refresher" cycle that I use for doing a few tshirts that have only been worn for a couple of hours, for instance, or things I can't put in with anything else. (Dunno about you but my "laundry" is a cupboard in the bathroom, and not great for doing hand-washing in.)
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I doubt they will, maybe you could pre-arrange a meeting.

I would strongly advise against pre-paying a few months rent without seeing the property or the area it is in. It is incredibly hard to visualise somewhere based on maps and the internet. Find a few places on www.realestate.com.au and then time driving round to them, just on the outside. See what the local facilities are like, distance to schools and train stations etc.
I would second that. We went to see a property which looked fine on the internet, when we got there the place was filthy. I am not fussy, but there were grease stains all over the kitchen walls and ceiling. I wouldn't have even used the cuboards. The garden had a fallen down glass house with dangerous glass everywhere, it was a total hazard for any animals or kids.
We told the agent that we would want it cleaned up (it would have been a lot of work), and they said the owner would not be prepared to do that.
She also mentioned that if it was not rented there was a woman with her son who had asked to rent it from seeing the pictures on the internet as she was coming from over seas. I felt so bad for that woman, as the internet pics really did look fine.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:56 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

pumpkin blossom, I'm not getting into a war of words with you but I did quote from your post #10, so I don't need to read it again.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Ok you have a good point. So you think I should use that real estate company? Are they the main one?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

It's not a company, just a web portal that the majority of estate agents advertise their properties on.

Another one in www.domain.com.au , but I find the other one better and it returns more properties.

When you do a search the and click on the place you like it will have the real estate agent contact details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.