Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Avoid buying a house in a high mosquito area

Avoid buying a house in a high mosquito area

Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

hwilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Avoid buying a house in a high mosquito area

We hope to move out soon to the Sydney suburbs. Because of the low house prices in the UK, and the escalating prices in Australia, we are thinking of buying or building a house out west, in the Ponds where the prices are a bit lower. Can anyone tell me if, as the name suggests, the Ponds attracts a high level of mosquitos? Any suggestions of good alternatives in the area if there is a problem?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:45 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Avoid buying a house in a high mosquito area

Where is the Ponds? Which 'burb?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Frankly if you have a problem with mozzies then Aus may not be the country for you. Perhaps NZ might be a better bet?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:02 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James516
Frankly if you have a problem with mozzies then Aus may not be the country for you. Perhaps NZ might be a better bet?
I think he's already here...
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hwilson
We hope to move out soon to the Sydney suburbs. Because of the low house prices in the UK, and the escalating prices in Australia, we are thinking of buying or building a house out west, in the Ponds where the prices are a bit lower. Can anyone tell me if, as the name suggests, the Ponds attracts a high level of mosquitos? Any suggestions of good alternatives in the area if there is a problem?
I used to live in outer west Sydney, not sure where you mean by the Ponds though.

However the mozzies weren't much of a problem there at all.
We tend to get more here in QLD, but burning the coils in the evenings seems to work pretty well.

Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:18 pm
ABCDiamond

I just looked for the Ponds and found it...

The Ponds is Sydney's newest suburb, located adjacent to Kellyville Ridge in Sydney's thriving North-West.

Alive with water, bushland, parks....
Yes, I would worry about mozzies there.... but try to check with the council to see if they have a mosquito plan.
Our local council kills off about 98% of all ours on a regular basis, using helicopter treatment plans.

Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Yes, I would worry about mozzies there.... but try to check with the council to see if they have a mosquito plan.
Our local council kills off about 98% of all ours on a regular basis, using helicopter treatment plans.
I have often wondered why they dont do that in Perth.When we lived in Cayman they did it every evening at the same time.The stuff used to sting my eyes so I made sure that I stayed indoors at that time.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 5:51 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Avoid buying a house in a high mosquito area

Originally Posted by James516
You're joking right?

NZ not only has dreadful weather (I noted on the NZ news today that the last time Wellington had a dry weekend was mid-November!) it also has a massive mosquito and sandfly issue. One bites you all day, the other all night.

Buzzy
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Thanks. I'm not in Australia yet, and I don't have an unusual problem with mozzies, but it does make sense to keep the problem to a minimum.
As you have seen, The Ponds is a good way (25k?) out, North west of Sydney towards Kellyvile, and looks like a nice area. I was possibly a bit overly specific with the Ponds. Lots of the housing developments in the area have ponds or creeks, and my concern is that these could be breeding grounds for mozzies. Sound like they have it at least partly under control with their spraying program.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwilson
Thanks. I'm not in Australia yet, and I don't have an unusual problem with mozzies, but it does make sense to keep the problem to a minimum.
As you have seen, The Ponds is a good way (25k?) out, North west of Sydney towards Kellyvile, and looks like a nice area. I was possibly a bit overly specific with the Ponds. Lots of the housing developments in the area have ponds or creeks, and my concern is that these could be breeding grounds for mozzies. Sound like they have it at least partly under control with their spraying program.
Your neighbour having an open top water butt or bird water dish can give you problems with mozzies.

My favourite perfume these days seems to be Aeroguard. I wear it more than any other.......
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know the range mozzies travel? In other words, does it matter if you are 50 metres or 250 metres from the water source?
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Charlie08 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Ponds is an area near Kellyville and Stanhope Gardens. I don't think there is any more of a problem there with mosquitos than anywhere else.
As already said aeroguard and mozzie coils will keep them at bay. We live in Kellyville and mozzies really aren't a major problem. We did live in Castle Hill in a house with lots of trees and bushes and seem to have much more of a problem there. Our friends live in Castle Hill in a different street and they have no major problems there.
x
Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

When you find the mosquito free area keep it to yourself we will all be moving
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You're joking right?

NZ not only has dreadful weather (I noted on the NZ news today that the last time Wellington had a dry weekend was mid-November!) it also has a massive mosquito and sandfly issue. One bites you all day, the other all night.

Buzzy
Have hardly ever been bitten here..in 3 years and they usually devour me.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You're joking right?

Buzzy
Sandlies are rampant in NZ. The worst mosquito problem I have ever gone through was in Northern Canada and Alaska - not a pleasant experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.