British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Aviation High School Brisbane..anyone have kids going there? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/aviation-high-school-brisbane-anyone-have-kids-going-there-545213/)

imanaussie Jun 25th 2008 9:38 pm

Aviation High School Brisbane..anyone have kids going there?

Hi all. We have moved to bayside Brisbane 3 months ago and enrolled our 2 kids at Cleveland District State High. Son is loving it but dd, Year 9, has had a very rough 3 months there so we are moving her out.

Aviation High is for kids with an interest in a career in aviation/aerospace which is perfect for our dd. We didnt know the school existed until last week! Its in Clayfield so a bit of a hike from here. My question is does anyone at all have kids there or know of anyone with kids attending the school? I would love to get some first hand information.

Thanks in advance. Im thinking this is a long shot but worth a try anyway.:)

Also, I think there is a forum for Bayside Brits. Does anyone have the link if there is?

donna Jun 25th 2008 10:15 pm

Re: Aviation High School Brisbane..anyone have kids going there?

http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneBaysideBrits

Dont know about aviation High School,but it sounds ideal.why hasnt your daughter got on @ Cleveland,i,ve got friends that kids go there and are happy with it?
good luck, donna

imanaussie Jun 26th 2008 12:30 am

Our dd has been the victim of some atrocious bullying by a few girls in her year group. This has only recently come to our attention. We noticed a huge change in our dd but didnt know the reason for this change. Now we do. Our son on the other hand has settled really well into the school and loves it. He is coming ahead in leaps and bounds. I think the school is fine, just a small group of girls in my dd's year group have caused the problem we have with our dd.

Aviation High sounds ideal for our dd and if we had known of its existence when we moved to Brisbane we would have enrolled her there. We hope she will regain her confidence and love of school and sport, and once again become the girl she used to be. I think it will take some time as bullying can have a very deterimental effect on a young person, as we have seen first hand with our dd.

Thanks for the bayside link :)

datamile Jun 26th 2008 12:39 am

There are hundreds of bayside brits on this forum ... but I don't know anyone who goes to aviation high. Perhaps a different state school in bayside is an option.

imanaussie Jun 26th 2008 3:32 am

Originally Posted by datamile (Post 6504071)
There are hundreds of bayside brits on this forum ... but I don't know anyone who goes to aviation high. Perhaps a different state school in bayside is an option.

Thanks but I think we will go with Aviation High.

smiths Jun 26th 2008 9:47 am

Hi

We were in a similar situation to you. Our son now year 11 at Cleveland High is getting on fine. However our daughter moved schools after being in year 8 for 8 months as she said the girls were really bitchy towards her. She is now at Vicky Point, year 9 and likes it much better.

Good luck wherever you decide to send her.

The Bloke Jun 26th 2008 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by donna (Post 6503780)
http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneBaysideBrits

Dont know about aviation High School,but it sounds ideal.why hasnt your daughter got on @ Cleveland,i,ve got friends that kids go there and are happy with it?
good luck, donna

Formerly kown as Hendra High School until Beoing Aerospace donated a large sum to the State gov't.

Pollyana Jun 26th 2008 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by imanaussie (Post 6503702)
Hi all. We have moved to bayside Brisbane 3 months ago and enrolled our 2 kids at Cleveland District State High. Son is loving it but dd, Year 9, has had a very rough 3 months there so we are moving her out.

Aviation High is for kids with an interest in a career in aviation/aerospace which is perfect for our dd. We didnt know the school existed until last week! Its in Clayfield so a bit of a hike from here. My question is does anyone at all have kids there or know of anyone with kids attending the school? I would love to get some first hand information.

Thanks in advance. Im thinking this is a long shot but worth a try anyway.:)

Also, I think there is a forum for Bayside Brits. Does anyone have the link if there is?

I work with a lady who has a daughter there - final year I think. Enjoys it and has been very happy there, although she says that there is a lot of channelling towards aviation and most of the girls just want to be air stewardesses - not so much support if you want to move into other areas. However she is pleased with it overall, and says that her daughter is a lot more settled there than at previous schools she attended when they lived further up the coast.

imanaussie Jun 26th 2008 9:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. smiths, what a coincidence. I wonder how prevelant this behaviour is between some of the girls at Cleveland and I wonder how many girls have left due to bullying? Our son really is doing well, has made good friends and loves the school. We have had wonderful support since the school were made aware of dd's situation too.

However, the behaviour our dd has had to endure these past 3 months has been just awful and whatever disciplanary action the school may take it will not change the situation. We feel the girls will only become more cunning in their ways to bully my daughter so we feel we have no choice but to move her. She is certainly totally against going back to the school again, she is terrified of the place now. But she is very keen to visit Aviation High and get back into enjoying school life again.

Pollyana, big thank you for your reply too. Our dd has aspirations to become a Pilot at the moment so this may work well for her. I will certainly be asking the question of the Principle about support for kids that change their minds. He has already told me not ALL kids at the school are wanting a career in Aviation but the majority do. I was also happy to learn that the class sizes are 20 and its a small school, only 300 students at the moment.:) Once agian thanks for the positive feedback your work collegue gave you. We visit the school today so will be more informed after that.

Cheers :)