Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

average wage for people on working holiday visa?

average wage for people on working holiday visa?

Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all
Default average wage for people on working holiday visa?

Hello,

Me and my boyfriend are coming over to Oz on working holiday visas and I wondered what the average wage is? I would be going over getting any office, temping or bar work as my journalism profession may be harder to get into.My bf is a carpenter and will ideally be looking for something related to that field.

Many thanks,

Jeni
Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:29 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: average wage for people on working holiday visa?

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Hello,

Me and my boyfriend are coming over to Oz on working holiday visas and I wondered what the average wage is? I would be going over getting any office, temping or bar work as my journalism profession may be harder to get into.My bf is a carpenter and will ideally be looking for something related to that field.

Many thanks,

Jeni
Tax is the killer. Whatever you end up doing you will be taxed at 29%. IIRC it's about 47% if you don't apply for a TFN. These web sites seem to have some useful info:

http://www.ctherealthing.com/jobs.html

http://www.workstay.com.au/working_holiday_tax.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...iday/index.htm
Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: average wage for people on working holiday visa?

You will probably find you will be unlucky to earning under $17 per hour doing most jobs. Also yes you do pay tax but i got all mine back when i left, just go into an accountants and they will sort it. There are plenty of these accountants around and i got charged $99 and got over $3000 dollars back when i left oz, which payed for a lovely trip around nz.
Ps definatley get a tfn otherwise like njj said you will pay 47% tax. We also got paid super annuation which is waiting for us to top up when we get back to oz