Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average Wage. How many people DON'T Earn it?

Average Wage. How many people DON'T Earn it?

Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of
Default Average Wage. How many people DON'T Earn it?

I was just wondering how many people in OZ or the UK for that matter don't earn the AVERAGE wage, because I know that I don't, hubby does luckily or we wouldn't manage but I am degree qualified with over 20 years experience and still find it hard to get a job anywhere near the Average wage. Just a word of warning to some, be very careful if you think you will come to Oz and be getting a large pay rise, some will but there are a lot of jobs with people working full time well below the average wage. Its an AVERAGE wage not a minimum wage. By the way I am working as a lab manager.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:10 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average Wage. How many people DON'T Earn it?

Originally Posted by Smartinis
I was just wondering how many people in OZ or the UK for that matter don't earn the AVERAGE wage, because I know that I don't, hubby does luckily or we wouldn't manage but I am degree qualified with over 20 years experience and still find it hard to get a job anywhere near the Average wage. Just a word of warning to some, be very careful if you think you will come to Oz and be getting a large pay rise, some will but there are a lot of jobs with people working full time well below the average wage. Its an AVERAGE wage not a minimum wage. By the way I am working as a lab manager.
The average wage most quoted in Aus is the "Average Weekly Ordinary Time Earnings (AWOTE)"; meaning an average of only full time wages, not including overtime or bonuses or non-full time wages or other earnings.

The number of people earning lesser wages is greater than 50% of those employed because those fewer earning more increase the average by more than their number.

Another measure is median wages or incomes; the wage which 50% earn less than and 50% earn more than. Taken from the wage or income distribution.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

What is the AVERAGE wage?
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:14 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
What is the AVERAGE wage?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625344
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Work for yourself or contract yourself out ( that sounds good doesnt it ) , however to earn way over the average wage like that it takes time to build up your reputation, OZ qualifactions and random bits of paper contacts, contacts, contacts.... exerience in OZ ways and playing the game the OZ way

I really think in the lower end of the building game the wages have collapsed totally, due to the amount of people out of work trying to cut each others throats.

Luckily so far having been established and set up some niche markets earing a good annual here has never been an issue.

However the eldest son ( electrician ) opened our eyes to how bad the job situation is currently, Fully oz qualifed, all the right bits of paper, made redundant in a massive company that always promised to keep it apprentice staff.... economy goes down the pan and quite scary really.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Work for yourself or contract yourself out ( that sounds good doesnt it ) , however to earn way over the average wage like that it takes time to build up your reputation,

We have a mixture of contract and staff employees (me) The problem with contracting is that whilst you earn good money by the time you take out workcover, super, holiday, insurance, car expenses etc, you have to be earning at least double what the staff people are on or perhaps a bit more.

I know a few of our blokes earn over $160k per year and reckon they are only a bit better of than myself who only earns around the average wage.

My OH works full time and she earns nothing like the average wage

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 14th 2009 at 9:07 am. Reason: sorting quotes
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Work for yourself or contract yourself out ( that sounds good doesnt it ) , however to earn way over the average wage like that it takes time to build up your reputation,

We have a mixture of contract and staff employees (me) The problem with contracting is that whilst you earn good money by the time you take out workcover, super, holiday, insurance, car expenses etc, you have to be earning at least double what the staff people are on or perhaps a bit more.

I know a few of our blokes earn over $160k per year and reckon they are only a bit better of than myself who only earns around the average wage.

My OH works full time and she earns nothing like the average wage

Oh yeah overeads are something people dont think about. Like the brickie earns $5000 a week posts Yeah then pays a minfied of liability, licence, workcover, super, supply, vehicle costs etc etc for his gang of workers....

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 14th 2009 at 9:08 am. Reason: and again
Old Aug 14th 2009, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond

Oh yeah overeads are something people dont think about. Like the brickie earns $5000 a week posts Yeah then pays a minfied of liability, licence, workcover, super, supply, vehicle costs etc etc for his gang of workers....

A mate of mine is one of our contractors and he reckons that when he worked out his hourly rate once everything was deducted he earn't $38.00 per hour that isn't that much full all the grief involved in being self employed.

This has been our quietest week in 2 years and I have just kicked back a bit.
All the contractors are screaming and bear in mind my boss has shared the work around he could have given it all to the staff blokes as we are being paid anyway.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 14th 2009 at 9:09 am. Reason: again...
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

A mate of mine is one of our contractors and he reckons that when he worked out his hourly rate once everything was deducted he earn't $38.00 per hour that isn't that much full all the grief involved in being self employed.

I'd be laughing iall the way to the bank if I could earn anything like $38 ph. Thats nearly double my hourly rate.

Last edited by Sue; Aug 14th 2009 at 11:51 am. Reason: trying to sort quote tags out
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd be laughing all the way to the bank if I could earn anything like $38 ph. Thats nearly double my hourly rate.

Keep in mind with high hourly rates, they often pay it in salary form. Then then the 40 hours a week at $60 an hour is actually a 60 hour week but with 40 hours pay.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 14th 2009 at 9:09 am. Reason: again
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

I'd be laughing all the way to the bank if I could earn anything like $38 ph. Thats nearly double my hourly rate.

Keep in mind with high hourly rates, they often pay it in salary form. Then then the 40 hours a week at $60 an hour is actually a 60 hour week but with 40 hours pay.
Yep, your right, my husband has just that scenario quite often, it seems to be the expected norm here. Although I also often work more than my 40 hours, I'm salaried as well and don't get paid overtime. But at least I have a job!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep, your right, my husband has just that scenario quite often, it seems to be the expected norm here. Although I also often work more than my 40 hours, I'm salaried as well and don't get paid overtime. But at least I have a job!

I did that many hours the other week I told my boss that my Nephew who works a Dimmies in Frankston was on a higher hourly rate than myself

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 14th 2009 at 9:10 am. Reason: again
Old Aug 14th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd be laughing iall the way to the bank if I could earn anything like $38 ph. Thats nearly double my hourly rate.

But you have got to realise that is for a self employed person who doesn't get any benefits of work for an employer

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 14th 2009 at 9:10 am.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:08 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond

But you have got to realise that is for a self employed person who doesn't get any benefits of work for an employer[/quote]

Yeah but most self employed wont be paying tax on that though
Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah but most self employed wont be paying tax on that though

Dunno about.

I know there is personal tax, company tax and payroll tax, as well as super and workcover. I wouldn't know how much that lot amounts to.

Everything our contractors do has to go through the books so there is no way of getting any untaxed cash jobs.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 14th 2009 at 9:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.