Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average mortgage now over $300k

Average mortgage now over $300k

Old Jun 7th 2006, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Average mortgage now over $300k

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Arti...=NationalIndex

Does anyone know what an Aus bank typically lends as a multiple of salary? In the UK it's typically 3.5 x single or 2.5 x joint I think. Is Aus the same?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:28 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average mortgage now over $300k

Originally Posted by ScottDavis

Does anyone know what an Aus bank typically lends as a multiple of salary? In the UK it's typically 3.5 x single or 2.5 x joint I think. Is Aus the same?
Its more means tested here. They take into account any children you have and lots of other things.

To give you an example - I was trying to work out how much we could borrow.

The first time I put in my husbands salary, made it a joint application and quoted on there that I was a 'homemaker'.

I then put the salary in as a sole application and he could borrow $50k more!! charming!!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Average mortgage now over $300k

I read somewhere (cant remember where) that they can go 5 times annual salary - bearing in mind they will take family situation into factor also.

Paula
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

check out www.anewlifeinaustralia.com on money matters part.

hope it helps

Paula
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

tax_bloke is a jewel in the roughtax_bloke is a jewel in the roughtax_bloke is a jewel in the roughtax_bloke is a jewel in the rough
Cool Re: Average mortgage now over $300k

Go to any of the major banks' web site - eg - www.commbank.com.au.

Look for tools and use "How much can I borrow"
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:25 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Average mortgage now over $300k

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Its more means tested here. They take into account any children you have and lots of other things.

To give you an example - I was trying to work out how much we could borrow.

The first time I put in my husbands salary, made it a joint application and quoted on there that I was a 'homemaker'.

I then put the salary in as a sole application and he could borrow $50k more!! charming!!
I'm guessing that this was an online calculator, not an actual interview with a bank.

Online calculators only give you a rough idea of how much you can borrow; they're not a true simulation of a mortgage assessment. The only reason it asked you for the number of children is because it would have used this information to work out a rough estimate of your outgoings.

In a real mortgage interview, you will simply be assessed on the balance of incomings vs. outgoings, current commitments and value of assets.

Please, please don't generalise about what Australian banks ask for in a mortgage interview on the basis of a few minutes with an online calculator. It's just not realistic.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:35 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm guessing that this was an online calculator, not an actual interview with a bank.

Online calculators only give you a rough idea of how much you can borrow; they're not a true simulation of a mortgage assessment. The only reason it asked you for the number of children is because it would have used this information to work out a rough estimate of your outgoings.

In a real mortgage interview, you will simply be assessed on the balance of incomings vs. outgoings, current commitments and value of assets.

Please, please don't generalise about what Australian banks ask for in a mortgage interview on the basis of a few minutes with an online calculator. It's just not realistic.

Hi Vash

Yes this was based on an online calculator but a friend of mine actually had a financial advisor come to her house with a very similar outcome - not generalising Vash - the poster asked a question and I answered it based on mine and others experiences!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:03 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scott

We were offered 5.8 x joint salary by the commonwealth bank a few months after landing with my other half in temporary employment and me on 3 months probation for a new job. :scared:

Judging by what other people have said on the forum this is not an exception it seems very easy to run up a huge mortgage so do your calculations very carefully.

Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

It really depends on the lender, we were offered anything from 4 x up to 7 x our annual salary (through a broker)
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Average mortgage now over $300k

Hi Vash

Yes this was based on an online calculator but a friend of mine actually had a financial advisor come to her house with a very similar outcome - not generalising Vash - the poster asked a question and I answered it based on mine and others experiences!
What do you mean by "a very similar outcome"? What was the outcome, and on what was it based?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:42 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said it will vary between lenders, there was an article in the paper I saw a few weeks back, from memory I think they based it on a married couple and used an income of $65K PA, running 1 vehicle, 1 dependant, and $5K credit card limit, they could borrow between about $280K and $350K depending on the lender. so roughly 5 times.

I wouldnt take much notice of the average mortgages, I bet if that only included new mortgages in the last 12months it would be higher than that.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:54 am

What do you mean by "a very similar outcome"? What was the outcome, and on what was it based?
A similar outcome to what I explained Vash! Initally they spoke about a joint application and then looked at a sole application - he was able to borrow more as a sole applicant!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:06 am
Fighting my corner

A similar outcome to what I explained Vash! Initally they spoke about a joint application and then looked at a sole application - he was able to borrow more as a sole applicant!
Sole applicant and single income, or sole applicant and dual income?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:11 am

Sole applicant and single income, or sole applicant and dual income?
Sole applicant and sole income - wife is a home maker at the moment the same as me!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:17 am
Fighting my corner

Sole applicant and sole income - wife is a home maker at the moment the same as me!
So they offered more on the basis of a sole applicant with a sole income, than on the basis of a dual applicant with a sole income?

Did they explain why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.