Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average commute?

Average commute?

Old May 17th 2011, 5:11 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average commute?

Dear god, my 12-14 minute commute irritates the hell out of me! Anything over an hour and I'd be getting the shotgun out.

(Probably more to do with the standard of the other drivers on the road rather than the actual time taken).
Old May 17th 2011, 5:53 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

My commute [8.5km] takes me 12 minutes in good weather (10 if I get an exceptional run on the lights) or 25+ if its raining.

(Bike [and transit lanes] if dry - car [and traffic] if wet).

Others at work commute for between 5 minutes and 90 minutes each way... I have a slightly better than average commute - but there are a few who live walking distance so have a better deal.
Old May 17th 2011, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

7 minutes by car (on a good day with all the lights in my favour) 40 minutes walking to the centre of Canberra
Old May 17th 2011, 7:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Seven minute drive for me and 30 minute drive for him. He complains constantly but seems to forgotten that he used to do an hour drive in the UK.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:26 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

7 km
7 minutes
Old May 17th 2011, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

20-30 minutes for me (10-20 min ferry plus a to min walk to the office). OH cycles and his journey is about 20 mins.

Less than 1km as the crow flies but about 6km by road

Last edited by spottydog; May 17th 2011 at 8:32 am.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:15 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

34 seconds, assuming I don't stop for a pee en-route.
Old May 17th 2011, 10:52 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Approx 30 mins by bike (pushie). It's about 10km and that's the same for both of us. It's the best way to get to work!
Old May 17th 2011, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

20 minutes
Old May 17th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Hubby's commute is about an hour depending on traffic. He doesn't complain about the traveling like he use to in the UK but then the freeway doesn't jam up like the M1 & M25.

Alison x
Old May 17th 2011, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Mine is less than 5 minutes - husbands is horrific - he works from cairns to melbourne so if hes "local" its just over an hour to brisbane and usually 2.5+ hours back because of traffic.

He was away 260 days last year with regular drives of 8+ hours. he has more than once driven 8 hours to watch kids in something or other and back the next day. We did our 10k service on a new car within the first month and the car is less than a year old and over 150k
Old May 17th 2011, 12:19 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Zero if I use the iPad wherever I am at the time to answer emails etc. Possibly up to 20 seconds if I have to go into my office for paperwork or video call on Skype.
Old May 17th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

60Ks each way. Tapping to Canning Vale. About 50 mins each way.
Old May 17th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by odyssey
Mine is less than 5 minutes - husbands is horrific - he works from cairns to melbourne so if hes "local" its just over an hour to brisbane and usually 2.5+ hours back because of traffic.

He was away 260 days last year with regular drives of 8+ hours. he has more than once driven 8 hours to watch kids in something or other and back the next day. We did our 10k service on a new car within the first month and the car is less than a year old and over 150k
Wow, 150K per year. That makes my 40K pale into insignificance.

Barney
Old May 17th 2011, 10:17 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
Isn't life too short?

I used to do 50 kms in 30 min each way.

I now do 50 yards 10 min walk
For us, the trade off is that we get to live in a reasonably sized house, on a reasonably sized plot of land, in a beautiful place where we can do what we want on a weekend without a long drive

It works well for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.