Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AV Jennings House Build Anyone?

AV Jennings House Build Anyone?

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:11 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default AV Jennings House Build Anyone?

I hve been looking at AV Jennings website at the self build prperties and think we have foundwhat we`re looking for, has anyone used them around the Sydney area?

Any info would be much appreciated

What do you guys think of this $207k
Attached Thumbnails AV Jennings House Build Anyone?-omega.jpg  
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice
Default Re: AV Jennings House Build Anyone?

Sorry, is your house that big in the UK, do you need three garages?

Lovely house but if i was going to build a new house I would build what I needed and spend the rest on a boat or a pool.

Think about it, here in blighty you spend most of your time indoors cos the weather is crap, there you will spend most of your time outside so put more into the outside life and not the indoors life.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:25 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Your right i really have no requiremens with 3 garages, this house is straight off their website and although i do agree that its a fair size house i was looking at utilising 2 of the garage spaces at a later date to accommodate family when they come over to visit withought any disruption to our living space (MIL discounted from that obviously)

i know i was looking for opinions on what you guys thought but i wonder how many of us from the UK have gone over and built much bigger houses and plan on much more of an outdoor lifestyle as i intend to

Originally Posted by Whingin Pom

Lovely house but if i was going to build a new house I would build what I needed and spend the rest on a boat or a pool.

Think about it, here in blighty you spend most of your time indoors cos the weather is crap, there you will spend most of your time outside so put more into the outside life and not the indoors life.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:35 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
I hve been looking at AV Jennings website at the self build prperties and think we have foundwhat we`re looking for, has anyone used them around the Sydney area?

well, i am going to join onto this thread, as we too have found a house we like with A V Jennings (single storey though). i want some feedback about them, as we have looked at other house builds, but always go back to A V Jennings.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:03 pm
UK is Home

What one were you looking at it if you dont mind me asking

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
well, i am going to join onto this thread, as we too have found a house we like with A V Jennings (single storey though). i want some feedback about them, as we have looked at other house builds, but always go back to A V Jennings.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:15 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

What one were you looking at it if you dont mind me asking
the modena. have just been looking on their website now. it's the one at fletcher we like. thing is, i wish they would just say it costs $xxxxxxx for the whole house, with all the basic stuff, rather than so many dollars for the basic, then so many for the facade, then so many for this and then that. we just need a figure to work on. i understand that there are extras which you can alter or add on, but to get get the basic price of the whole house build would be good for us. i mean, there are extras on top i believe, before you start looking at which door handles to choose? i think somebody said add about $20-$25k for those, but it all seems so vague.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Whingin Pom

The house looks great but I agree about the crap weather in the Uk and hopefully we might be able to afford a pool for the outdoor life. Good luck with you house.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:39 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by grahampaula
The house looks great but I agree about the crap weather in the Uk and hopefully we might be able to afford a pool for the outdoor life. Good luck with you house.
what annoys me is the uncertainty of the cost. i have just spoken to A V Jennings, and their site costs can vary from $20,000 to $46,000 depending on the site. now i understand that all sites are different, sizes, slopes, clearance etc. but until you find a site, you will not know the cost of the house build? does any companies have set site costs? or is that asking a daft question? i might do another post re site costs, and see how much everybody's cost
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

what annoys me is the uncertainty of the cost. i have just spoken to A V Jennings, and their site costs can vary from $20,000 to $46,000 depending on the site. now i understand that all sites are different, sizes, slopes, clearance etc. but until you find a site, you will not know the cost of the house build? does any companies have set site costs? or is that asking a daft question? i might do another post re site costs, and see how much everybody's cost
Gosh, all this sounds so confusing. when we built ours, the costing of it was very straightforward. The display home had 2 prices, the "basic price" and the "as displayed price". We went for the "as displayed" as it was within budget at just over $200,000, and that included everything that you saw in the display home, including driveway. On top of that we told them what extras we wanted, including ducted air conditioning which we knew we probably wouldn't have, but had them include it anyway, and when we got the first draft of the contract, where everything is itemised and costed separately, went throught it with a fine tooth comb and took out stuff that we thought unecessary or could do without including the air conditioning which came in at 12 grand. After 2 more drafts, we finally agreed to go to contract at $208,000. There were a couple of variations that we had to pay along the way, but we knew about those from the outset, so that wasnt a problem. Total cost $219,000. As far as site costs went, that was all included in the contract price, the only thing that put the site costs up slightly was the result of the soilt test which came back highly reactive, but that was about the only nasty surprise along the way.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:43 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

i think that sounds like bloody good value to me. even if you spent another 30 grand on it for better fixtures and fittings. a house of that size and design up here in cairns would be close to 400000 at the moment.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
i think that sounds like bloody good value to me. even if you spent another 30 grand on it for better fixtures and fittings. a house of that size and design up here in cairns would be close to 400000 at the moment.
$400,000? I am assuming that would include the land as well.

I've just checked out the AV jennings site and the house the OP posted says "from" $207,000 and does not include site costs. That price is also only for the very basic of fixtures and fittings. You could easily add on another 50K or so. just simple things like extra plug sockets and light fittings. they never supply enough and any extra you want comes at a price.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:44 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by sassie
$400,000? I am assuming that would include the land as well.

I've just checked out the AV jennings site and the house the OP posted says "from" $207,000 and does not include site costs. That price is also only for the very basic of fixtures and fittings. You could easily add on another 50K or so. just simple things like extra plug sockets and light fittings. they never supply enough and any extra you want comes at a price.
does tht $50k include site costs as well?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

does tht $50k include site costs as well?
depends on how much you want to upgrade? 50k was just a guideline and could well exceed that.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

clan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really niceclan_campbell is just really nice

Thats a coincidence - we started looking at this property last night
with a view to buying ! If you look at the details, depending on the
facade you choose only this design has the 3 garages, the other two
facades have the double garage. What appealed to us about this design
is that the overall depth is 17.7 metres as opposed to the 20-22 metres
the other designs tended to be. This lets us make better use of the plot.

Where abouts in sydney are you looking to build ?

Cheers

Neil
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:35 pm
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

I think these houses are great but anyone got any rough ideas of average plots of land. I know this is a bit of a daft question but im only talking roughly. Average size plot in an average area big enough to stick a pool in aswell??

Stu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.