Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AV goods...what to leave behind and what to take along?

AV goods...what to leave behind and what to take along?

Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default AV goods...what to leave behind and what to take along?

Hi, Mr HugoB here,

I have searched the forums and tbh, cant find anything on digital tv.

Does anyone know if my SKy Digital receiver and terrestrial (freeview) digital reciever will work in Oz? I am assuming no, due to the different audio frequency

I believe I can get my TV to work if we get an Oz Video?

So is everyone leaving their TV's, videos, Digital receivers and just taking dvd players and Xboxes?
Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:46 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AV goods...what to leave behind and what to take along?

Originally posted by HugoB
Hi, Mr HugoB here,

Does anyone know if my SKy Digital receiver and terrestrial (freeview) digital reciever will work in Oz? I am assuming no, due to the different audio frequency

So is everyone leaving their TV's, videos, Digital receivers and just taking dvd players and Xboxes?
yo hugo (sorry) i am takin integrated digital tv playstation dvd player an buyin oz vid not sure if any freeview in oz though
Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar question ,Our shipping guy said it was worth taking our small tv and dvd player if only for playing the childrens tapes on .He also said Disney films were harder to get in Aus .
Can I take from this that the tv and Dvd player will work if only to play the girls english dvds ?

In answer to one of your questions I believe (from previous posts )if you connect a Aus video player to your english tv it will work.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:52 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wengerboy
yo hugo (sorry) i am takin integrated digital tv playstation dvd player an buyin oz vid not sure if any freeview in oz though
Digital TV in oz uses a different standard to the euro one... Be certain its compatible!
Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:55 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by snowhite
Our shipping guy ... Disney films were harder to get in Aus.
Definately hard to get here... Disney movies are only re-distributed every 7 years. (eg they remanufacture a new batch of tapes/DVDs every 7 years).
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

craigstacey is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar question ,Our shipping guy said it was worth taking our small tv and dvd player if only for playing the childrens tapes on .He also said Disney films were harder to get in Aus .
Can I take from this that the tv and Dvd player will work if only to play the girls english dvds ?

In answer to one of your questions I believe (from previous posts )if you connect a Aus video player to your english tv it will work.
Most DVD players can be changed to all region via the handset so will work with Aus/NZ region 4 discs.
LMK your DVD name & model no. & I'll send you a link (if there is one!)
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

snowhite is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks craigstacey I have already tried some suggested ways to get the zone changed but they didnt work its a really cheap player from somerfields .

akura ADV1415

I dont mind if it wont play Aussie dvds all we need for the girls is for it to play their English DVDs ????????
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:23 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no digital satellite or cable TV. Terrestrial digital here also has high definition broadcasts which I doubt your receiver will handle. You never know but I doubt it.

BTW to get the full benefits of HDTV you need an HDTV. They are not cheap but the few programs broadcast on the format look stunning.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

auzzieuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

From my experience of moving to Oz before.

We took a lot of our UK electical stuff and all we had to do is change the plugs. We even had an english four-gang extension socket that we changed the plug on so we didn't have to change all the plugs, and they worked.

The English DVD player will work if you change the plug, but i am pretty sure it will just be limited to Region 2 ( Europe ) DVD's. Unless you shop around for a region free DVD player !!
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks craigstacey I have already tried some suggested ways to get the zone changed but they didnt work its a really cheap player from somerfields .

akura ADV1415

I dont mind if it wont play Aussie dvds all we need for the girls is for it to play their English DVDs ????????
I've always found cheap supermarket DVD players the best for compatibility with all sorts of media/region coding etc. Got a Lennox from Safeway and not found anything it won't play.

Your Akura will certainly play their English DVD's, on either English or Aussie TV set.

Link for multi region here (but sounds like you may well already have it..?)
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php...t=Akura+ADV14S
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:31 pm
Dumb Blonde

I want out is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by craigstacey
I've always found cheap supermarket DVD players the best for compatibility with all sorts of media/region coding etc. Got a Lennox from Safeway and not found anything it won't play.

Your Akura will certainly play their English DVD's, on either English or Aussie TV set.

Link for multi region here (but sounds like you may well already have it..?)
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php...t=Akura+ADV14S
I used this one, they charge you a couple of quid then e-mail the code to you

www.dvdcodes.co.uk
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by I want out
I used this one, they charge you a couple of quid then e-mail the code to you

www.dvdcodes.co.uk
www.dvdrhelp.com

Literally hundreds of codes for pretty much every DVD player on sale worldwide & all free
Just do a search under DVD players.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:59 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Try this for size Hugo:-

Try the search field and put in "Television" or "Satellite".
Found all sorts of info in previous threads.
(some contradictory)
This one one posting which had a lot of techie stuff:-

22 Apr 2002 09:13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Will your UK TV work in Australia ? - yes, it might
Hi
As etlniwd suggests, you need to check if your UK TV supports "PAL B/G" instead of the usual PAL I.

It's not just the sound, in some cases you can't get the picture either. Here's the detail:

PAL I, used in the UK, is 625 lines, UHF

PAL G is 625 lines UHF but with a different audio frequency. Most channels in Oz are PAL G, so an older UK TV and even some quite modern ones will only display the picture. A cheap modification can be made to get the sound working in your UK VCR or UK TV by a TV engineer in the know.

PAL B is 625 lines, VHF with the same audio frequency as PAL G. If you move to an area in OZ like Brisbane, (but not the Gold Coast), where some TV channels are VHF, then your standard PAL I UK TV won't get these channels at all, and modification is really out of the question.

If your TV is "multisystem" (Panasonic and Grundig make some), then it should support all of the PAL formats, and also SECAM and NTSC.

Regardless, you can still use your UK TV by connecting to an Australian VCR (available cheaply as low as $199), and connect it to your TV using a/v cables such as Scart, composite or S Video cable, and you quickly get used to having to use two remotes - one for the tv for volume and one for the vcr for the channels. If you get cable, satellite or an Australian games system over here, these will all work fine too as long as you connect using these a/v cables. If you instead tried to connect using the normal ariel lead and tune in, you will not get the sound unless you have had the TV modified.

If however your TV does not have any audio/Video or Scart sockets on the back, i.e. it ONLY has an ariel lead - then I would definitely not recommend bringing it, and it will have zero resale value here. You might consider bringing it if you intend ONLY to connect it up to a UK games system or perhaps a UK VCR for playing tapes only.

Note, IF you are buying a DVD player - DVDs and DVD players bought in England are Region code2. DVDs and DVD players bought in Australia are region code4. (region 1 for USA). Although the TV systems are the same for UK and Australia, the DVD player will not allow you to play a disc from a different region - and most shops will neglect to tell you that discs from another country won't play. DVDs are cheaper out here by the way! The answer is to have a modified player that is "Region Code Free" or "Region select / auto select" or "All regions". Just don't buy a player that is locked on one region! which is what most retail stores will only sell. Many players can be modified, which no doubt affects warranty and costs around £60-£100 I think. Much easier to buy a code free or selectable region player - and sometimes the very cheapest players from Hong Kong or Taiwan are code free. But you can get upmarket players like Pioneer or Sony that are region free as well by purchasing mail order - just search for "code free dvd" on the net.

I've got various info up at http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au
Tim

Old Feb 1st 2004, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

DVD/XBox is not a problem (Both are multiregion ) It's digital TV I am curious about.

If, as you say, there is no digital TV, then I'll get rid of it before I go, I just wonder if, ever Oz does get Digital TV, would it work, ie what system(s) are they considereing?
Old Feb 1st 2004, 9:55 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HugoB
Hi, Mr HugoB here,

perhaps i seem rude and i apologise if i dont.... why take sky with ya its a different system, sell it and buy a new 1 m8 ffs

AUssie tv is shite, its all american soaps and comedy shows , the news is quite funny at times , alas most aussies dont watch tv

why

cos its CRAP !!! sky or NOT !