Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Automatic License ?

Automatic License ?

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Automatic License ?

My partner has an 'automatic only' license over here in the UK. I just wonder how it works in Oz, the same?

I'm under the impression you have to do some sort of a test when you get to Oz before you can drive, can somebody in the know please explain?

Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Automatic License ?

Originally Posted by Jim2004
My partner has an 'automatic only' license over here in the UK. I just wonder how it works in Oz, the same?

I'm under the impression you have to do some sort of a test when you get to Oz before you can drive, can somebody in the know please explain?

Thanks
Depends what state you are going to SA and VIC you only need to change your UK to Aus, paperwork exercise, any other state you need to do a theory exam on computer, not sure about the automatics only bit, Aus has a lot of Automatics any way so I suppose it would be OK.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:06 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Thanks
Not sure where you are planning to go but I remembered this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280274

Also try looking on the RTA website and see if there's anything on there about automatics. Hope it helps.

Last edited by TheRossers; Feb 2nd 2005 at 4:09 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:45 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Thanks
Am running tight to time for work, so please excuse the brevity, but, yes, you can hold an automatic only licence here. It'll be a normal licence with an endorsement on it saying that your partner is only licenced for cars with an automatic transmission.

As mentioned above, testing depends on which state you're heading for.

Must dash ...

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:50 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about conversion but someone who passes their test in an auto must wait a year until they are licensed for manuals in NSW.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Ok sounds like her license will be the same as here, that's fine, we only ever drive auto's

As to what state, well we hope to be out at the Gold Coast by the end of the year, so Queensland.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:26 pm
ABCDiamond

Ok sounds like her license will be the same as here, that's fine, we only ever drive auto's

As to what state, well we hope to be out at the Gold Coast by the end of the year, so Queensland.
You will just have to do the theory test here, to get the QLD licence.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You will just have to do the theory test here, to get the QLD licence.
Ok thanks.

Any idea what the test consists of, is it the same as the UK theory test? I think that's multiple choice questions on Highway Code etc

Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:45 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Ok thanks.

Any idea what the test consists of, is it the same as the UK theory test? I think that's multiple choice questions on Highway Code etc

Cheers

Very similar to the UK one - you can see samples online, though there is no online test as such, but NSW & VIC have ones you could practice on if you wanted, I believe they're very similar

QLD Licence
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Very similar to the UK one - you can see samples online, though there is no online test as such, but NSW & VIC have ones you could practice on if you wanted, I believe they're very similar

QLD Licence

Excellent, thanks for that. I'll see if I can find the NSW or VIC ones and give a go. I like to think I'll be ok, but you never know!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:08 am
Account Closed

And just on another note, does anybody know if the Motorcycle part of the license is the same?

I have a full motorcycle license in the UK. I don't actually get on bikes now after a near fatal crash a few years back, but I never said i'd keep away from them forever!

Just curious

Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:23 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

And just on another note, does anybody know if the Motorcycle part of the license is the same?

I have a full motorcycle license in the UK. I don't actually get on bikes now after a near fatal crash a few years back, but I never said i'd keep away from them forever!

Just curious

Thanks
Hi,

I had car and motorcycle licence in the UK and just had to do one theory test to get both here in Victoria (note that you don't have to do the theory test any more).

I think in other states you may have to do some additional questions for the motocycle.

Regards
Alistair
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 3:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hi,

I had car and motorcycle licence in the UK and just had to do one theory test to get both here in Victoria (note that you don't have to do the theory test any more).

I think in other states you may have to do some additional questions for the motocycle.

Regards
Alistair
Ok thanks for that Alistair. I'll get in touch with Queensland and see what they have to say.

Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough

i put a similar thread on here a while ago and some one replied and said that if you're in nsw, wa or vic, you can change your license straight over without taking a test, he said he paid $19 and that this came in in jan 2005
shell
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:51 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ShellnTez
i put a similar thread on here a while ago and some one replied and said that if you're in nsw, wa or vic, you can change your license straight over without taking a test, he said he paid $19 and that this came in in jan 2005
shell

How I understand it also - I have emailed QLD transport, but they say no sign of a change here at the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.