autocad jobs

Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: autocad jobs

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Here at FMG/Worley Parsons, the boys use Microstation version 8.2. It's a completely different CAD system to Autocad.
If you want to earn the big candy in Australia you will need Microstation.
You working at FMG in the Hyatt? I work for Worley too. With regard to Autocad there's tons of work in WA/Queensland, and whoever was saying about $20 an hour that is the biggest rip off ever, beginner trainees are on $25 in Perth. Microstation is a bonus and no it is nothing to do with Autocad, they're completely different packages, although work on same principles. Most large scale mining and oil gas use PDS and Microstation, although some turning towards Autoplant which we use. You have to know 3D to get the big bucks, good design knowledge and be able to understand and design from P&IDs. Perth jobs go from $35-$100 an hour d.o.e. right now, it's boom town.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
You working at FMG in the Hyatt? I work for Worley too. With regard to Autocad there's tons of work in WA/Queensland, and whoever was saying about $20 an hour that is the biggest rip off ever, beginner trainees are on $25 in Perth. Microstation is a bonus and no it is nothing to do with Autocad, they're completely different packages, although work on same principles. Most large scale mining and oil gas use PDS and Microstation, although some turning towards Autoplant which we use. You have to know 3D to get the big bucks, good design knowledge and be able to understand and design from P&IDs. Perth jobs go from $35-$100 an hour d.o.e. right now, it's boom town.
Yeah, I'm at the Hyatt. My youngest, 18yo, school leaver trainee is on $40k. Other trainees, 20yo are on nearly $70k. Senior designers are on $85/hr ($200kpa with bonus). CAD operators at least $60ph ($140kpa with bonus). Rates will be going up at the end of the year again too.

It's all good at the moment.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:10 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
My husband works for Transfield Worley and they use PDMS which is becoming increasingly popular over here and is also paying big money for designers because they just can't get decent ones.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The latest Ambit engineering salary index for WA. For Qld rates would be slightly less,and for the rest of the country, quite a bit less.
A draftsperson earning $90-$105k a year? Where do I sign?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
A draftsperson earning $90-$105k a year? Where do I sign?
In reality, as a contractor, it's more than that. Probably $30-40k more.

Do the TAFE and the training. Get the experience. The candy will start rolling in.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 31st 2008 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

pacey is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Sounds like a good time to retrain! What kind of quals do you need for this sort of position, realistically? In terms of background and experience.

Also, to repeat my earlier question - do any of you work with visualisation artists, or are they not really required?

$30-50k extra would certainly be enough to convince me to retrain.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pacey
Wow. Sounds like a good time to retrain! What kind of quals do you need for this sort of position, realistically? In terms of background and experience.

Also, to repeat my earlier question - do any of you work with visualisation artists, or are they not really required?

Yes you can get $40k to start off, rising to about $70k+ after 3 or 4 years, but it is experience and knowledge that get the big bucks - i'm earning good money now, certainly not high levels but its taken 10 years to get here so like anything don't expect to jump straight into big money, and companies are outsourcing a lot of the easy tracing work, as I said you've got to do 3D, have a good knowledge of the engineering - as for visualisation artists not sure what you mean, if its 3D rendering and modelling then we do all that ourselves
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by pacey

Most of the senior designers are ex-sparkies. A trade is a great stepping stone into engineering.
For a CAD Monkey (operator), no previous experience is required. You would need computer literacy, and a desire to learn. You would need to do a 1 year TAFE engineering course - it's easy peasy, or get a traineeship with an engineering outfit. My trainees do 3 years. After that, it's just work and get experience. Ultimately, CAD is just another tool - like Excel, Word, a spanner, paintbrush etc - that enables you to do your job. Experience and knowledge are the things that count - and these are things that take time to acqure.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

pacey is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your replies guys. I'm already a well-versed 3D and 2D graphic artist, so think i'll stick with it if there's no direct transition to architectural 3D work.

Jimbo: yep, i meant 3d modelling, lighting, texturing, rendering etc for press materials, brochures etc etc.