British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   autocad jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/autocad-jobs-544922/)

mickpower75 Jun 24th 2008 12:51 pm

autocad jobs

Hi i am moving to tapping area next oct and was wondering is ther anyone who can give me adive on cad jobs or help me find one.
I dont have any qualifications for it but i have been working in cad for 15 years during my time i worked under an Architect for 5 years getting an ONC in building materails.Then i moved into the storage side with Dexion and trade suppliers of the Dexion products at the moment i am working for a company who manufactures Mezzanine floors i am currently the office manager over seeing the CAD drawings making sure they are ok to go out to the Fabricators.

Sorry to ramble on a bit but i thought as much info as posssiblew might help me secure some help in a posisition within the above industries.

Or if anyone can help put me in the right direction

Many thanks Mick

Paul & June Jun 24th 2008 1:54 pm

Re: autocad jobs

I think you should have no problem getting a job. There are loads advertised on what is going to be your bible http://www.seek.com.au. I'm going to Perth to hopefully get a job as a Mechanical Design Draftsman using the CAD too. You can load all your details on there. Good luck, to us both.

mickpower75 Jun 24th 2008 2:07 pm

many thanks i have added this to my desktop

when are you off then and were in Perth

Paul & June Jun 24th 2008 2:22 pm

Off hopefully August/September. We hope to be around Duncraig area.

TheRutters Jun 26th 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mickpower75 (Post 6498849)
many thanks i have added this to my desktop

when are you off then and were in Perth

Paul & Mick....drop me a PM if you're interested in a job. If you have TEKLA or MicroStation experience, even better

Shaun&Dee Jun 30th 2008 2:42 am

I'm in Cairns and you shouldn't have a problem. Not sure about salary though?

oliver1982 Jun 30th 2008 6:35 am

Yep watch out as there are some dodgy companies.

Was offered a job with a a major house design&build company in Brisbane where they said that ALL of their CAD workers are on much less then $20 an hour. With a high staff turnover too, "three drawings a day or you're out".

At least they were honest. I didn't take the job.

maxtye Jun 30th 2008 9:43 pm

Sorry to Hijack this thread.

I've been using X-steel for seven years on very complex projects, looking to move to Oz in 2009.

Any help would be great.

TheRutters Jun 30th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by maxtye (Post 6520421)
Sorry to Hijack this thread.

I've been using X-steel for seven years on very complex projects, looking to move to Oz in 2009.

Any help would be great.

maxtye,

There's a long way to go between now and 2009, but using a little insider knowledge, I reckon there'll be even greater demand then than now for your skills.

Xsteel's a very popular package out here and a bugger to learn properly.

Any particular reason for leaving it till 2009?

Amazulu Jul 1st 2008 2:57 am

The CAD package of choice for the resources industry in Australia is Microstation. Autocad comes a very distance second. Get up to speed on Microstation and you will give yourself more options. For 3D many different packages are used - Steel Plant, PDS, Navisworks etc.

maxtye Jul 1st 2008 8:12 am

Originally Posted by TheRutters (Post 6520449)
maxtye,

There's a long way to go between now and 2009, but using a little insider knowledge, I reckon there'll be even greater demand then than now for your skills.

Xsteel's a very popular package out here and a bugger to learn properly.

Any particular reason for leaving it till 2009?

We've got a holiday to Cyprus booked for late October, so assuming the house goes on the market in November & sells pretty soon then we would be looking at early 2009.

There are a few issues to resolve, my wife's parents are wanting to come with us & the housing market is in a mess in the UK.

xzibit Jul 1st 2008 8:45 am

On the Microstation website, it says it's easy to learn with minimal training, so I'll stick with AutoCAD until I get there, and then learn it as I'm not buying it.

I've seen plenty of places advertising for AutoCAD users though, so it can't be unpopular.

I want to try and get a job in surveying instead of Architecture when I get out there though, as after 8 years sat in an office, it'll be good to be outside, plus I do about 3/4 surveys a month at the mo, so I'm up on using the latest total stations from Leica.

cowpey Jul 11th 2008 5:24 am

mu hubby can get you a job straight away...but its in Bunbury.south west wa....and its lovely down here! surf wine beaches what more could you want!!:)

skoots76 Jul 11th 2008 8:26 am

Hi all,

Im off to Adelaide next year and hoping to get a job as a draftsman in auto cad Im a qualified mechanical engineer with 9 years experience and now doing my diploma in autocad design. Currently I work for the health protection agency as a calibration technician (Lab equipment) & cant decide on what job route to take. Is there any Calibration companies in Adelaide or is it safer to go down the CAD route?
Does anyone know about autocad jobs in Adelaide ie; ease of getting a job,salary and any other info would be great.

regards Ian

mickpower75 Jul 11th 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 6521120)
The CAD package of choice for the resources industry in Australia is Microstation. Autocad comes a very distance second. Get up to speed on Microstation and you will give yourself more options. For 3D many different packages are used - Steel Plant, PDS, Navisworks etc.

hi there can you help me i am cluded up on Autocad but am wondering what
is the current version of microstation i would need to be cluded up on for arrival in Oz.
is this a bolt on to autocad