Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

autism in brisbane

autism in brisbane

Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

scott01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default autism in brisbane

hi. how good are the autism facilities in Brisbane as my son has autism.

thanks scott
Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:02 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: autism in brisbane

Not sure about the school programs but a friend of mine has a son (now 10) with autism and he made incredible progress through an early intervention program (AEIOU). I do know they paid a fair bit of money to get extra support and also paid for speech therapy and other support. He had some limited assistance at primary school but mainly his parents worked very hard with him and privately accessed support to give him a good chance of reaching his potential.

I expect it may depend on where you live and the severity of your son's autism - often if it is mild then support is very hard to get.

Best of luck!
Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scott01
hi. how good are the autism facilities in Brisbane as my son has autism.

thanks scott
I think that you're going to have to focus on the visa part before worrying about the facilities. If your son has autism requiring special ed he may not pass the medical.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think that you're going to have to focus on the visa part before worrying about the facilities. If your son has autism requiring special ed he may not pass the medical.
Yup, that'll be the issue! Talk to one of the agents who specialize in medical conditions (George Lombard and Peter Bollard are the two most usually cited in this regard)

Support will generally be needs based but will likely be much less than you want or have experienced in UK