Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Authentic Indian?

Authentic Indian?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:58 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default Authentic Indian?

Just a quick one,
My brother lives down in Sydney and has me to ask if anyone knows of a decent curry house within Sydney Centre area.
He lives in Ashfield.
Hes been there 3 years and still has not found a good one, so any help would be greatly appreciated and tasted.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:57 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Authentic Indian?

Originally Posted by leannefr
Just a quick one,
My brother lives down in Sydney and has me to ask if anyone knows of a decent curry house within Sydney Centre area.
He lives in Ashfield.
Hes been there 3 years and still has not found a good one, so any help would be greatly appreciated and tasted.
There was one in Penrith a few years back, some Indian friends of ours said it was the next best thing to being back home (India), but it was nothing like UK Indian food

Penrith would be about 40 mins drive west of Ashfield, but I can't remember what it was called now. And i've just realised how time flies Those few years were actually 10 years ago !!

I've been to some good Thai places in Sydney centre, but can't think of any Indian places off hand.

Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:02 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I know its not much help for Sydney, but we found a good Indian on the South Bank in Brisbane. One onion bhaji starter order was enough to feed a family of four for a week though.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:14 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Authentic Indian?

Originally Posted by worzel
I know its not much help for Sydney, but we found a good Indian on the South Bank in Brisbane. One onion bhaji starter order was enough to feed a family of four for a week though.
If you're going to Brisbane at all... try out this place
http://www.foodcity.com.au/tajbengal/

Went there about 3 1/2 yrs ago and also went back there again this year - ate at the restaurant lots of times They do very nice Tandoori King Prawns

Sorry it's not Sydney!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:19 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

When we ere on the Gold Coast last year, we found are great Indian in the complex attached to Mirage Hotel on The Spit at Southport.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That's nice, does it have a name
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:00 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's nice, does it have a name
No idea. But if you cross the river by the museum with a dinosaur on it (by the TAFE I think) and turn left past where the market is etc it is probably 10 minutes walk and is upstairs in a large complex of other bars and restaurants overlooking the river.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:35 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

my extensive research in Melbourne leads me to believe that the Indian Australian population are in fact from a different area of India, hence the lack of popadoms,onion and chutney .
There is however a terrific curry place on Balcombe Rd Beaumauris.The guy and his wife are from the UK and his food is to die for .
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Manly Gashead is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Authentic Indian?

Some decent curry houses in Sydney include:

Malabar - Crows Nest
Indian Pearl - Manly
Sagar - Surrey Hills
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there

Do you know what it's called? My husband would love to know of a good place. We have found a couple, one is very average and other was pretty good but none yet that are "to die for"

Originally Posted by melbournehelp
my extensive research in Melbourne leads me to believe that the Indian Australian population are in fact from a different area of India, hence the lack of popadoms,onion and chutney .
There is however a terrific curry place on Balcombe Rd Beaumauris.The guy and his wife are from the UK and his food is to die for .
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

No idea. But if you cross the river by the museum with a dinosaur on it (by the TAFE I think) and turn left past where the market is etc it is probably 10 minutes walk and is upstairs in a large complex of other bars and restaurants overlooking the river.

Ohhhh...I have been to that restaurant a couple of times and the curry's were excellent.

The bar below it used to be called Ned Kelly's...Not sure if it still is. Its at the Boardwalk end of Southbank.

I also would definatly recommend it, although its been a few years since I was last there...
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:12 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

oh my mouth is watering already! I love Indian food and will really miss it when I go to Brisbane next December - have already bookmarked the link!

Will be walking along south bank salivating!

Lynn
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:17 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
oh my mouth is watering already! I love Indian food and will really miss it when I go to Brisbane next December - have already bookmarked the link!

Will be walking along south bank salivating!

Lynn

according to this link: http://directory.ourbrisbane.com/dir...ies/12646.html there are 48 listed Indian Restaurants in Brisbane.. it is also worth going down to the Fortitude Valley, as there are loads of Asian/Indian shops down there - along with Yum Cha restaurants!!! Can't wait til we are back in Brissie and can try them all again!!!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:24 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

And if you want "authentic" English style Indian near Brisbane, there is a new place recently opened in Birkdale - The Spice Avenue Balti restaurant. Owned and run by the same people who run the Spice Avenue in Wolverhampton. Not quite the full English experience - I did not see a table of 12 drunken blokes eating vindaloo, necking bottles of Cobra and throwing up in the toilets - but the food tastes nice.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:34 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DagBoy
And if you want "authentic" English style Indian near Brisbane, there is a new place recently opened in Birkdale - The Spice Avenue Balti restaurant. Owned and run by the same people who run the Spice Avenue in Wolverhampton. Not quite the full English experience - I did not see a table of 12 drunken blokes eating vindaloo, necking bottles of Cobra and throwing up in the toilets - but the food tastes nice.

Cheers,

DagBoy
A fine post DagBoy, you know how to start my day with smile

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.