Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AUSTUSY eligibility?

AUSTUSY eligibility?

Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Question AUSTUSY eligibility?

Hi everybody,

Apart from being over 25 Yrs old and studying full time and serving 104 weeks residence requirement, it has been said in centrelink website that "you must be studying an approved full-time course at an approved institution".

Is there a list for this APPROVED institutions/courses?

Are Master's degree course work students or Phd students eligible?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AUSTUSY eligibility?

http://www.facs.gov.au/guides_acts/s...-3.3.4.10.html may help

And this
What sort of full-time courses are approved for Austudy?
Generally, courses approved for Austudy include secondary education courses, undergraduate courses, diplomas, associate diplomas, TAFE courses and some post-graduate courses. From 1 January 2008 certain Masters courses that are required for professional entry will also be approved. Doctorates are not approved courses for Austudy. Usually, you cannot receive Austudy if you are attempting Year 12 for the third time.

from http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/st003_0907/$file/st003_0907en.rtf

Last edited by quoll; Mar 21st 2010 at 6:35 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by quoll
http://www.facs.gov.au/guides_acts/s...-3.3.4.10.html may help

And this
What sort of full-time courses are approved for Austudy?
Generally, courses approved for Austudy include secondary education courses, undergraduate courses, diplomas, associate diplomas, TAFE courses and some post-graduate courses. From 1 January 2008 certain Masters courses that are required for professional entry will also be approved. Doctorates are not approved courses for Austudy. Usually, you cannot receive Austudy if you are attempting Year 12 for the third time.

from http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/st003_0907/$file/st003_0907en.rtf

Thank you for the good links,

I went through them, but there is still a little ambiguity on the APPROVED COURSES term specially on Postgraduate courses.

When they say SOME postgraduate courses are approved, maybe they should define which Postgraduate courses exactly are approved.

By the way, they have mentioned if someone has more than 2500 dollars as LIQUID ASSET in his/her bank acc, he/she is not eligible for this payment! I think nowadays maybe more than 90 percent of the ppl have more than 2500 dollars in their bank account! Should all of them be deprived from this payment even if they don't have ANY other asset/money/salary other than 2500 dollars?!

Am I missing something here?

Thnx

Last edited by BARDI77; Mar 21st 2010 at 7:36 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BARDI77
I think nowadays maybe more than 90 percent of the ppl have more than 2500 dollars in their bank account! Should all of them be deprived from this payment even if they don't have ANY other asset/money/salary other than 2500 dollars?!

Thnx
Yes. If you have $2500 as liquid assets available with you, then it is a fair expectation that you make use of your own assets before availing of Social Security. The payment is for those who truly need it and clearly the government is of the opinion that if you have that much liquid assets, you should be using them first.

Nothing wrong as far as I see it.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColonialCousin
Yes. If you have $2500 as liquid assets available with you, then it is a fair expectation that you make use of your own assets before availing of Social Security. The payment is for those who truly need it and clearly the government is of the opinion that if you have that much liquid assets, you should be using them first.

Nothing wrong as far as I see it.
What if someone has only 15k in his/her bank account and nothing else in the world? ( No asset, no apartment, no nothing but 20k in his/her bank acc). I know a few ppl like this myself.

Compare the above person's situation which someone else situation which has only 2K in his/her bank account but has a 150K apartment. Based on Centrelink, the first one can't benefit from Austudy but the second person might be able to benefit from Austudy, which to me is quite unfair.

Last edited by BARDI77; Mar 21st 2010 at 11:07 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BARDI77
Thank you for the good links,

I went through them, but there is still a little ambiguity on the APPROVED COURSES term specially on Postgraduate courses.

When they say SOME postgraduate courses are approved, maybe they should define which Postgraduate courses exactly are approved.

By the way, they have mentioned if someone has more than 2500 dollars as LIQUID ASSET in his/her bank acc, he/she is not eligible for this payment! I think nowadays maybe more than 90 percent of the ppl have more than 2500 dollars in their bank account! Should all of them be deprived from this payment even if they don't have ANY other asset/money/salary other than 2500 dollars?!

Thnx
You obviously need to check out schedule 3 or whatever it is.

From the other quote it looks as if Masters by coursework required for professional entry (I can think of a Masters in Psychology which would fit this bill for example) is going to be approved but others may well not be. Looks like the PhD is out.

Looks like it is liquid assets of $5.5k for a single person for Austudy. That's a fair chunk of money! http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ets_liquid.htm

Last edited by quoll; Mar 21st 2010 at 11:26 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
You obviously need to check out schedule 3 or whatever it is.

From the other quote it looks as if Masters by coursework required for professional entry (I can think of a Masters in Psychology which would fit this bill for example) is going to be approved but others may well not be. Looks like the PhD is out.

Looks like it is liquid assets of $5.5k for a single person for Austudy. That's a fair chunk of money! http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ets_liquid.htm
Thank you.