Reload this Page >

Austrlia Vs Canada

Austrlia Vs Canada

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Austrlia Vs Canada

Originally Posted by bcworld
I didn't say that.......show me where I did.
You are hilarious....

Nite now everyone....
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:24 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

I didn't say that.......show me where I did.
no you did'nt say that, but you said 'cultural vacuum'.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mohogony
Was it a hoover (sorry couldnt resist)

Now I really am leaving, but I will be back....
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

There was also the 'some areas' bit!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
You are hilarious....

Nite now everyone....
Don't forget your electric blanket!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't forget your electric blanket!
Stop it before I pee my pants.....
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by feitr
I'm not sure Canada is all it is cracked up to be (although depends where you are currently i guess). Immigrating shouldn't be a problem (there are tons and tons here) but i wouldn't necessarily think Canada is in a better position economically. I'm in Alberta and w/ oil dropping $100 a barrel over the last while i believe it has cost the treasury something like $13billion, not to mention the money lose from things like the Heritage fund due to market crash. 15k jobs are meant to be lost, and alot of the jobs are pretty crappy anyways wage wise (although better than other parts of canada). + things like construction which was booming even last year will basically shut down for 09-10. Your average unskilled job will probably net you like $12-16/hr, working in construction would probalby be like $16-$25 and i don't see it being super easy picking up a skilled job with the layoffs that are coming (what do you do?). By comparison, rent is like $1k-$1.5k month sort of deal for an ok family home and homes are about $450 median i think (Calgary). idk i just see alot of immigrants come here and they are forced to work 2 jobs for like $12/hr each just to stratch by. As for skilled job wages i don't really know since i am just finishing my B.Sc and have therefore never had a "real job".

Then add to that that Canada is UGLY, unless you like the snow w/mountains sort of "beauty", with the exception of british columbia which i have to admit is a really nice province.

I'm actually thinking of the opposite (moving to Aus from Canada) although i am actually originally from NZ not UK (sue me). What really gets me is the winters. I am just completely sick and tired of snow (and i actually snowboard) on the ground for like 5 months/year and it is damn cold and although the summers are nice, everything is pretty ugly and it only lasts forl ike 4 months. But i know some ppl that actually like that.

How can anyone say Canada is Ugly...........I mean, come on! Lakes, Mountains, greenery...in the Summer.....Beautiful snowy mountains etc in Winter. If you mean some of the big cities, well, that applies worldwide!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Droughts don't last for ever they come and go, Australia is a very wealthy country and can solve the probelm either by using sea water by building de salination plants or building a pipeline from the north of the country where theres plenty of water to the south, everyone in OZ has plenty of water for drinking showering and washing its only you arent allowed to waste stacks of it on the garden or washing your car everyday.
The powers that be have let the infrastructure go, to such levels, that the Murray river down near Adelaide is just about dead. I was shocked when I saw it's green tinge two weeks ago.

Australia is a wealthy country, it probably will build the infrastructure, it's the pain that process takes on the way through thats a problem. The new Desalination plant, which is only just underway, of of Wonthaggi, despite it being the biggest in the world, will only supply 18pct of Melbournes Water. If this Climate warming stuff is real, and I'm on the fence with that particular debate, believing it to be a natural phenonoman, then we have some massive headaches looming.

I can remember when I first came here, even after the 82-84 drought that the sprinklers were on the gardens 24/7 just about all over Melbourne.

Its not the Drought, its the Infrastructure. It's going to cost bigtime, and things are going to get really bad, before people accept at least a tripling of their water rates.

This country is going to end up with the most expensive water supply in the world.... and then it will probably be restricted as well....It could be even worse if Victoria WA and SA have to carry the brunt of these costs.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 22nd 2009 at 12:50 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:05 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shafanm
hi Jaj. that was a good dose of vitamin on canda/australia.
I also saw an article somewhere which say that australian productivity is much higher than canada, although both GDP are similar, australia has achieve same with 40% lessor population

keep it up aussie
False

Total GDP
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...my-gdp-nominal

GDP per capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...gdp-per-capita

Median household income
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Plus the reason, I'm sure we are being lied too, is the current short term fix for Melbournes 2 years left water supply.... is wait for it..... To take more water out of the Murray, with the North/South Pipe line.

If I hadn't had seen the Murray down at Adelaide with my own eyes, I would have carried on believing that the people that were against this Pipeline from the Goulburn river .... which feeds the Murray, were greeny nutters worried about people digging up their paddocks, or profits for their farming communities.

Turns out that North/South Pipe line, is most likely a emergency supply for Melbourne, which would most likely kill the Murray around Adelaide for years and years.

Talk about running on empty !!!

Yes that kind of thing is enough to make me choose Toronto over Melbourne..... At present that is.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 22nd 2009 at 1:20 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:13 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shafanm
hi Jaj. that was a good dose of vitamin on canda/australia.
I also saw an article somewhere which say that australian productivity is much higher than canada, although both GDP are similar, australia has achieve same with 40% lessor population

keep it up aussie
That is of course false, Australia total GDP is proportionally lower than Canada's.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...my-gdp-nominal

GDP per caspita is about the same
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...gdp-per-capita

Median Household income

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

As well, most provinces have lovely long summers and beautiful fall days.....
Er, yeah I loved last fall...all 4-5 weeks of it. LOL. I've lived in Alberta (Edmonton) all my life. And although global warming is making the winters a little more tolerable, it is usually the case that winter here lasts from the end of October (kids trick or treating in the snow happens more often than not) until mid-April. Then we get spring in May. And if we're lucky the city has sucked all the gravel and sand off the road by June so it's not blowing around in our faces when we go for a walk on the days it's actually half decent weather. Then we get summer from June to end of August and the mozzies come out. Yay. And we get some nice 30C days when most of our houses don't have AC (why bother when we get as much winter as we do?) We get fall from September to mid-October and then we get to look forward to 6 months of winter again. Yippee.

It's fine if you're into skiing, snowshoeing, all that winter sport stuff, but I have never been, even living here as long as I have. I wouldn't say Canada is ugly, or bland, or a cultural wasteland. I'm still fond of the place. But I'd rather avoid shovelling snow for a while.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Plus the reason, I'm sure we are being lied too, is the current short term fix for Melbournes 2 years left water supply.... is wait for it..... To take more water out of the Murray, with the North/South Pipe line.

If I hadn't had seen the Murray down at Adelaide with my own eyes, I would have carried on believing that the people that were against this Pipeline from the .... which feeds the Murray, were greeny nutters worried about people digging up their paddocks, or profits for their farming communities.

Turns out that North/South Pipe line, is most likely a emergency supply for Melbourne, which would most likely kill the Murray around Adelaide for years and years.

Talk about running on empty !!!

Yes that kind of thing is enough to make me choose Toronto over Melbourne..... At present that is.
This is like deja-vu....seen this all before in Brisbane!

The state government procrastinated, politicised and mismanaged the situation to such an extent that Brisbane was put in very real danger of a water emergency - evacuation plans for SEQ were rumoured to have been drawn up!

The capacity of water in storage continued to fall 10-12% per year, year after year as infrastructure decisions were left on the fence and each successive rainy season failed to eventuate.

At Jun 2007, Brisbane's storages were at about 15% of capacity - the state government was prepared to let this fall to 5% prior to the desal plant coming on line (and providing only 1/5 of daily water needs), and even more worringly insisted that even at 1% the water in the dams would still be of suitable quality for drinking! Even then, this was dependant on Brisbane drinking by far and away the highest concentration of recycled sewage effulent anywhere in the world.....not something I have a problem with, but plenty of people do.

Fortunately for the government and people of SEQ, after years the drought broke in the winter of 2007 and Brisbane is now out of danger.....but this has nothing to do with the government being on top of the situation.

Melbourne I worry about more as it's probably much less likely to be subject to the kind of extreme rain events that south east Qld gets......like 700mm + in one day back in 2007!

Last edited by bcworld; Feb 22nd 2009 at 1:27 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is like deja-vu....seen this all before in Brisbane!

The state government procrastinated, politicised and mismanaged the situation to such an extent that Brisbane was put in very real danger of a water emergency - evacuation plans for SEQ were rumoured to have been drawn up!

The capacity of water in storage continued to fall 10-12% per year, year after year as infrastructure decisions were left on the fence and each successive rainy season failed to eventuate.

At Jun 2007, Brisbane's storages were at about 15% of capacity - the state government was prepared to let this fall to 5% prior to the desal plant coming on line (and providing only 1/5 of daily water needs), and even more worringly insisted that even at 1% the water in the dams would still be of suitable quality for drinking! Even then, this was dependant on Brisbane drinking by far and away the highest concentration of recycled sweage effulent anywhere in the world.....not something I have a problem with, but plenty of people do.

Fortunately for the government and people of SEQ, after years the drought broke in the winter of 2007 and Brisbane is now out of danger.....but this has nothing to do with the government being on top of the situation.

Melbourne I worry about more as it's probably much less likely to be subject to the kind of extreme rain events that south east Qld gets......like 700mm + in one day back in 2007!
If you equate the amount of people to water usage, there are now 25 pct more people in Melbourne than when I arrived 30 years ago, with the same amount of Water Infrastructure... I belive they may have built one small dam in that time I'm not sure. So taking that into account, plus it looks like rain patterns have changed permanently, even with this new Desalination plant, which apparently will double our rates, and supposedly supply 18pct extra we will still be 7pct behind where we were in 1980. The supposed experts reckon the rainful patterns have decreased permantly on top of this.

Personally I'm sure I could handle Torontos cold more than Brisbanes heat, or anywhere else where there is water, because the only places flush with water in Aus are Humid.....(apart from very temperate and oh so quiet Tasmania) so taking the above into account and If I were contemplating coming here to Australia..., would water be a factor in my Decision. Bloody Oath it would.

I wouldnt be suprised if there was a bit of tilt in people moving to Tassie in the next few years purely over the water issue. I may even contemplate this myself.... At least you can get to Melbournes night life in 50 mins and at a current cost of 30 bucks one way from Launceston. Dammit I've given away my escape plan

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 22nd 2009 at 1:36 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'll tell you exactly what the icing on the cake for me in these water matters were.

4-5 years ago, the powers that be started to get alarmed because the water supply was dipping below 50 pct. They said at the time, if this keeps up and usage stays the same, there will only be 5 years worth of water left. Since then there has been a water saving campaign. About 6 months ago, same kind of spokesman came on and said, oh we dont have to worry at present..... because usage has dropped presented his figures and said "Melbourne has plenty of water... at least 2 years worth" GREAT !!!

Talk about spin doctoring.

Plus the Vic Government is very reluctant to take people of off 3a restrictions, because at level 4 business gets affected, and people start to panic.

Yes so go to Canada eh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.