Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Austravel - beware / avoid you decide ...

Austravel - beware / avoid you decide ...

Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

pom_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Austravel - beware / avoid you decide ...

We booked months ago to fly one-way on 16th January to Melbourne with Austravel & sent them copies of our visas which I scanned & printed myself after initially sending them via mail failed, & once they had spoken to Singapore Airlines they sent us a updated booking itinery stating 40 kilos per person & a basinette had been confirmed & we were all set to go.

So we decided to go visit my parents in Portugal for a week on 4th January, but the fun started the day before.. Our tickets arrived all stating 20 kilos!!

I called Austravel on the Saturday 3rd January & they advised I return them for re-issue. So I went to the PO & returned them Special Delivery. Once I was in Portugal they phoned to say they couldn't give us 40 kilos as they had not received a copy of our visas & that the person who initially dealt with our booking had left the company!! I advised them to look harder & that they had received them & the fact that a staff member had left was irrelevant & that I also had it in writing as they had re-sent the itinery. Eventually they called back (whilst I was a the top of the rock of Gibralter!!) informing me they had no copies & couldn't give us the extra allowance & I would need to resend them.It was then a case of us hunting round Gibralter for a decent photocopy shop that could pick up the detail on the visa's & fax them (for a mere £7.50). A few days later despite my chasing calls, they called to say the wife & 2 kids could have 40 kilos but not me as there was a "arrived in Australia stamp" on the opposite page to my visa in my passport. I still complained & asked for a manager to call me to explain the updated itinery etc. The same girl called back & MAKE NOTE HERE said something along the lines of our regional manager says: - it shouldn't have been put in writing but our terms & conditions state that even if we state in writing that you have been given an allowance we are entitled to withdraw or change this at any time!

I will never use or advise anyone to use Austravel again, you can decide for yourself...........

END OF MOAN ....
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:49 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Austravel - beware / avoid you decide ...

Originally posted by pom_uk
We booked months ago to fly one-way on 16th January to Melbourne with Austravel & sent them copies of our visas which I scanned & printed myself after initially sending them via mail failed, & once they had spoken to Singapore Airlines they sent us a updated booking itinery stating 40 kilos per person & a basinette had been confirmed & we were all set to go.

So we decided to go visit my parents in Portugal for a week on 4th January, but the fun started the day before.. Our tickets arrived all stating 20 kilos!!

I called Austravel on the Saturday 3rd January & they advised I return them for re-issue. So I went to the PO & returned them Special Delivery. Once I was in Portugal they phoned to say they couldn't give us 40 kilos as they had not received a copy of our visas & that the person who initially dealt with our booking had left the company!! I advised them to look harder & that they had received them & the fact that a staff member had left was irrelevant & that I also had it in writing as they had re-sent the itinery. Eventually they called back (whilst I was a the top of the rock of Gibralter!!) informing me they had no copies & couldn't give us the extra allowance & I would need to resend them.It was then a case of us hunting round Gibralter for a decent photocopy shop that could pick up the detail on the visa's & fax them (for a mere £7.50). A few days later despite my chasing calls, they called to say the wife & 2 kids could have 40 kilos but not me as there was a "arrived in Australia stamp" on the opposite page to my visa in my passport. I still complained & asked for a manager to call me to explain the updated itinery etc. The same girl called back & MAKE NOTE HERE said something along the lines of our regional manager says: - it shouldn't have been put in writing but our terms & conditions state that even if we state in writing that you have been given an allowance we are entitled to withdraw or change this at any time!

I will never use or advise anyone to use Austravel again, you can decide for yourself...........

END OF MOAN ....
Crickey mate...By the way you're going on anybody would think that you'd been planning this trip for ages and was moving to the other side of the world with a load of extra stuff to take.........

END OF SARCASM....
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Exclamation my advice

That's exactly what we were worried about as well. And your point makes it clear that agencies/airlines can't be trusted though in this case it sounds clearly to be the fault of Austravel. Guess you could badger the airline direct...

So for anyone else out there who are looking to make the move with extra baggage allowance is to travel via the states which will give you 64kg/person + 22kg/person cabin allowance. That's what we are doing on Friday. Costs are slightly more but worth it.

This obviously isn't gonna help you Pom_uk but may help others who are looking to go with max baggage.

Piers
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I also had a recent experience with Austravel too, admittedly much less important than pom_uk. They advertised cheap Emirates fares to Melbourne and I rang up and spoke to one of their 'sales consultants'. I gave the dates and destination and they came back with £499 plus taxes. Is that your best price says me, yes says the girl. I then checked Quest and they quoted £488 plus taxes.

The girl from Austravel subsequently phoned me back to ask if I wanted to proceed with a booking. No, I replied, I've just booked it with Quest because it was cheaper. How much did they quote she asked; £488 plus taxes says me. Oh, its just coming up as £488 on my computer says she. Yeah, that'll be right says me. I too won't be dealing with them in future.

OzTennis
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:03 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for the record... Baggage handlers in Australia won't touch a single piece of luggage that's over 32kgs. Workplace health & safety restrictions.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gavo
Just for the record... Baggage handlers in Australia won't touch a single piece of luggage that's over 32kgs. Workplace health & safety restrictions.
Good point, so if you have more than 32 kgs you make sure you put it in 2 (or 3) suitcases. It makes it easier for you to handle them as well.

OzTennis
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:06 pm
WBB

Originally posted by gavo

neither would i.

32kgs, that has to be 70 odd pound.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:08 pm
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

We emailed singapore air asking about this as we fly in 3 weeks and they told us as long as we have a visa stating that we can stay in aus indefinatly we can have 40kgs, we have that email printed with the tickets just in case
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:09 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by welshboybilly
neither would i.

32kgs, that has to be 70 odd pound.

Errr, yes Taff. But going by the weight thread the other day, that's about half the weight of your right leg, YFB.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:13 pm
WBB

Originally posted by chippy
Errr, yes Taff. But going by the weight thread the other day, that's about half the weight of your right leg, YFB.
i used to have a 6 pack but now i have a keg.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:19 pm
I'm lovin' it

i used to have a 6 pack but now i have a keg.

Booked the flight for your reccy yet? By the sound of things you're gonna need a couple of seats just for yourself.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:23 pm
WBB

Booked the flight for your reccy yet? By the sound of things you're gonna need a couple of seats just for yourself.

no visa yet mate, the postman is gonna have a grilling in the morning.

we will be booking the flights ASAP.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:24 pm
I'm lovin' it

no visa yet mate, the postman is gonna have a grilling in the morning.

we will be booking the flights ASAP.
Yeah...don't feed the dogs tonight.:scared:
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:31 pm
WBB

Yeah...don't feed the dogs tonight.:scared:

the tension is killing me, this morning was the usual assortment of bills and junk, my application has been with them a week 2mw and visa's have been issued in that time.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:35 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Hang on in there WBB - good things come to those who wait....and wait.....and wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.