Default Australia's Shame

http://www.smh.com.au/multimedia/200...ame/start.html
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia's Shame

44 views and no comments?

Go on! Be brave.

It's not all sunshine, beaches and BBQ's here.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:23 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Didnt watch the film but I like your avatar...
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Didnt watch the film but I like your avatar...
Watch the film. It moves more.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in Oz, (yet) but everything I have read about the indigenous people of Australia reflects the crap deal they have been dealt. The problem is vast, the mortality and morbidity figures are horrendous when compared to the rest of the population and no one seems to have a clue where to start helping these people.
When we visited Oz, and spoke to various locals, all of them spoke in derogatory terms about the Aboriginal people, giving an distinct impression that they would rather pretend they do not exist.
BUT
as I said at the beginning, I do not live in Oz and I am sure others who do have different experiences and opinions.

Sammy
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Very sobering. Anyone in Perth interested in the indigenous story should visit the Katta Djinoong exhibition in the West Australian Museum. It says a lot about the cultural imperialism of white settlers and what basically amounted to ethnic cleansing of local people.

Mark
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the video. But you make no comment.

What are your views? Or are you just posting this to get the bleeding hearts or misinformed going.

Keel
Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:25 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I'll make comment.
It's like watching a film from a third world country. Australia should do more to help the aboriginal children have a chance in life.

I have to say though that I have seen some fairly shocking sights here in the Uk in my job as a mental health nurse.
My Dad works for SSAFA and he helps out ex servicemen and war widows who live with nothing.

It's all too easy to be ignorant of what actually goes on in our own countries
(Aus and U.K)
Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Cooper Clan is on a distinguished road

Very thought provoking!!!

And I for one do not condone this sort of treatment and will continue my 'equal' treatment of my fellow man which ever country or neighbourhood I live in.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

I asked my friend who has just visited, she lives in Sydney but travels around Australia a fair bit, i asked her if attitudes have changed about the aboriganies, she said that they had and the white australians respected them.

when i was in Australia in 1991 I stayed with the Aboriginals on a communal site, the conditions wernt fit for animals the people were spat at on the street and usually condemned as drunks and layabouts, which was not true, I lived with them and in all my time there they were the nicest most welcoming people, it made me sick to her red neck australians in the outback speak about them in that way.

If i thought it could happen Id say give Australia back to them, they are a nobal and proud people, peaceful and at one with the world and the enviroment. Maybe the world could take a leaf out of their book.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:41 pm
Banned

dingoboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Aboriginies only make up 2% of the population but own 50% of the country, if your white you need a permit or passport to travel into these lands. Aboriginies get a billion dollars a year from the governemnt and millions in mining royalties, its not the fault of white Australians if alot of them waste this money instead of improving their living conditions. l like the way some Brits go on about how racist white Aussies are, wasn't it in fact Britian that invaded OZ 200 years ago and the British army redcoats that massacred all the Aboriginies and stole their land.
The indians in the USA were treated just as badly as the Aboriginies but no ones says white americans are racist because of it but everyone says white Aussies are racists because of what happens to aboriginies 100 years ago

Last edited by dingoboy; Aug 21st 2007 at 7:46 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:44 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

They need to help them selves.

It goes on there are only 200 odd homes for a few thousand people.

Ive gone and built houses in the middle of OZ. They dont last long, and by long it can be just days before there destroyed.

I did see alot of empty beer cans. So who needs the water.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:14 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingoboy
Aboriginies only make up 2% of the population but own 50% of the country, if your white you need a permit or passport to travel into these lands. Aboriginies get a billion dollars a year from the governemnt and millions in mining royalties, its not the fault of white Australians if alot of them waste this money instead of improving their living conditions. l like the way some Brits go on about how racist white Aussies are, wasn't it in fact Britian that invaded OZ 200 years ago and the British army redcoats that massacred all the Aboriginies and stole their land.
The indians in the USA were treated just as badly as the Aboriginies but no ones says white americans are racist because of it but everyone says white Aussies are racists because of what happens to aboriginies 100 years ago
Your comments may not be popular with some people on here, however I do agree with you and it sums up for me the position. It makes me angry when people talk of the injustices suffered by the aboriginal communities as if its the personal responsibility of each white man.

Its a complicated issue as with any human story of a culture.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
44 views and no comments?

Go on! Be brave.

It's not all sunshine, beaches and BBQ's here.

Good on you for posting it, Australian lifestyle:curse: has a more sinister meaning for many australians.

Congrats too to the SMH they did another video piece about 2 weeks ago its quite graphic and on children and how they live. If people think there are shi!holes to live in the UK watch that.

Noted on the video the little fella whos amazing because he can read and write to national standards, our middle sons grade 7 teacher taught out there, she would tell the white kids about life there, great respect for her for telling it as it is.

Brissy State Library had an exhibition on the aboriginal children, took our kids down and they were invited to do art/messages for a book which is to be published showing white australians support for aboriginals.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:52 pm
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
peaceful and at one with the world and the enviroment. Maybe the world could take a leaf out of their book.
A reading of The Fatal Shore might disabuse you of that notion. The aborigines first encountered in NSW had a fondness for tribal warfare, rape, kidnap and thought nothing of torching several square miles of bush in order to rustle up three rats for dinner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.