Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australias Rich Families

Wikiposts

Australias Rich Families

Old May 14th 2005, 9:29 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Australias Rich Families

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The fact that I just can't be bothered to get of my backside and look for something
And unless I can enjoy what I do, I just won't do it, "anymore"
So what could it be?

1. Where there's mooney there's mook!
OR
2. Where there's mook there's mooney!
Old May 15th 2005, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
So what could it be?

1. Where there's mooney there's mook!
OR
2. Where there's mook there's mooney!

Watch out, your closer to the mark than you realise, twas only t'other week, that I found out that our Chatham freind is indeed a 'pikey' He is quiet likely to turn up around your gaffe, with his caravan, and start selling off everything that aint nailed down.

No offence abcd
Old May 15th 2005, 10:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Watch out, your closer to the mark than you realise, twas only t'other week, that I found out that our Chatham freind is indeed a 'pikey' He is quiet likely to turn up around your gaffe, with his caravan, and start selling off everything that aint nailed down.

No offence abcd
Close in some ways
I was actually in Rochester
And many years ago I was the toast of a local pub, when I became the cause of a group of "caravan dwellers" to move on

And as for "selling of everything", well, I have started many various businesses in my time

Old May 15th 2005, 11:02 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Close in some ways
I was actually in Rochester
And many years ago I was the toast of a local pub, when I became the cause of a group of "caravan dwellers" to move on

And as for "selling of everything", well, I have started many various businesses in my time
My business, based on Intellectual Property patent rights, looks after itself largely. Don't even have to bank the cheques anymore - electronic. Other minor business interests which require little time. Should take up more active business interests but also "unless I can enjoy what I do, I just won't do it, "anymore"". Any ideas of what you might enjoy?
Old May 15th 2005, 11:56 am
ABCDiamond

Any ideas of what you might enjoy?
Not sure now

I think I have got too addicted to this site to be able to go back to work again

My main reasons for working have been:
  1. To help people
  2. To meet people and make friends
  3. To make money
Now that the third one is no longer needed, and the first two get done by these forums, the only reason to go to work would be "to have a change of scenery"

Mind you I have been talking about looking for something part time for a while, maybe I should actually look and see what's about

Old May 15th 2005, 12:14 pm
Banned

Not sure now

I think I have got too addicted to this site to be able to go back to work again

My main reasons for working have been:
  1. To help people
  2. To meet people and make friends
  3. To make money
Now that the third one is no longer needed, and the first two get done by these forums, the only reason to go to work would be "to have a change of scenery"

Mind you I have been talking about looking for something part time for a while, maybe I should actually look and see what's about
Would business mentoring do it? If you came in contact with a younger person with a good business idea (and with more propensity to wiggle the buns), you could offer seed capital as well and achieve all three objectives. State governments and chambers of commerce have mentoring programs.
Old May 15th 2005, 1:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Would business mentoring do it? If you came in contact with a younger person with a good business idea (and with more propensity to wiggle the buns), you could offer seed capital as well and achieve all three objectives. State governments and chambers of commerce have mentoring programs.
I have actually given that some very serious consideration, as I reckon that would suit me right down to the ground.
I may just look it it a bit more

Old May 15th 2005, 3:31 pm
Badge

I agree that anything over 70K is a good salary and this is often acheived by 2 income earners. What costs is all the extras you feel you have to participate in. There is a definition of relative poverty vs absolute poverty. Most people say they are poor because they are poor relative to everyone else yet may actually have a good quality of life and less stress than the high income earner.

I think the entire situation is pertinent to just about every country. The biggest problem is that people WANT everything and now. The more you earn, the more you spend etc - the classic wage spiral. My brother in London earns UKB14000 and you know, he actually has more DVDs and cool things than I've ever been able to buy. Sure he doesn't have a mortgage, granted.

It's a social problem I reckon.

People have to calculate the wages they will need to pay their rent or mortgage, feed and clothe themselves and their families. Everything else is a bonus, and this is the case even in the 3rd world.

One of the problems is that there are migrants in the UK who have done very well in recent years, and they've become acustomed to it, and they want to maintain and improve this lifestyle in Australia and maybe, just maybe probably can't do it for all their best intentions. They then complain bitterly when the sun and sea don't make up for it.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; May 15th 2005 at 3:34 pm.

Old May 16th 2005, 5:31 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Badge
I agree that anything over 70K is a good salary and this is often acheived by 2 income earners. What costs is all the extras you feel you have to participate in. There is a definition of relative poverty vs absolute poverty. Most people say they are poor because they are poor relative to everyone else yet may actually have a good quality of life and less stress than the high income earner.

I think the entire situation is pertinent to just about every country. The biggest problem is that people WANT everything and now. The more you earn, the more you spend etc - the classic wage spiral. My brother in London earns UKB14000 and you know, he actually has more DVDs and cool things than I've ever been able to buy. Sure he doesn't have a mortgage, granted.

It's a social problem I reckon.

People have to calculate the wages they will need to pay their rent or mortgage, feed and clothe themselves and their families. Everything else is a bonus, and this is the case even in the 3rd world.

One of the problems is that there are migrants in the UK who have done very well in recent years, and they've become acustomed to it, and they want to maintain and improve this lifestyle in Australia and maybe, just maybe probably can't do it for all their best intentions. They then complain bitterly when the sun and sea don't make up for it.

Badge
Never a true word said. I have seen a whole new affluence in the UK since early 1997 and yes even with a mortgage free life and a bit of dosh in Australia, it would be hard to have the same in Oz . . then there is the lack of family support and friends. I have also seen a decline of morals, standards and general niceness to the fellow man . . replaced by greed, laziness and a huge compo culture.

We had some fab BBQ's when we lived in Oz, surrounded by lovely friends but I would have given my back teeth to have my UK family there to share, that would have been perfect.

M

M

Old May 16th 2005, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Never a true word said. I have seen a whole new affluence in the UK since early 1997 and yes even with a mortgage free life and a bit of dosh in Australia, it would be hard to have the same in Oz . . then there is the lack of family support and friends. I have also seen a decline of morals, standards and general niceness to the fellow man . . replaced by greed, laziness and a huge compo culture.

M

I've got to admit, at the time of my last holiday, circa '87, I felt a lot better off than most of my extended family members, from a financial point of view and especially a lifestyle point of view. However when the same cousins came over about two years ago, With their Gadgets, and owning villas in spain, fully fitted out bars in their houses, lots of weekend trips to europe, golfing weekends, houses paid off etc etc, I was a tad suprised. So I think you a spot on re the post '97 affluence in the UK Merlot, especially if you compare People of a Similar level in Aussie.
Old May 17th 2005, 9:20 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've got to admit, at the time of my last holiday, circa '87, I felt a lot better off than most of my extended family members, from a financial point of view and especially a lifestyle point of view. However when the same cousins came over about two years ago, With their Gadgets, and owning villas in spain, fully fitted out bars in their houses, lots of weekend trips to europe, golfing weekends, houses paid off etc etc, I was a tad suprised. So I think you a spot on re the post '97 affluence in the UK Merlot, especially if you compare People of a Similar level in Aussie.
A lot has happened since 1997 - incredible isn't it? There was a kind of wave of confidence over the country 1997,1998,1999,2000.

I actually think Blair has done quite well, even if it would have happened without him anyway - he doesn't necessarily need the credit.

Since 1997 alot of people (the people who had already bought their homes) have done very well. The poorer have got poorer.

Badge

Old May 17th 2005, 9:32 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
A lot has happened since 1997 - incredible isn't it? There was a kind of wave of confidence over the country 1997,1998,1999,2000.

I actually think Blair has done quite well, even if it would have happened without him anyway - he doesn't necessarily need the credit.

Since 1997 alot of people (the people who had already bought their homes) have done very well. The poorer have got poorer.

Badge
IMO Gordon Brown's decision to make the BOE independant was certainly a factor in lowering Britains long term interest rates. As you say the macro economy is mainly out of politicians hands.
Old May 17th 2005, 11:49 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by bondipom
IMO Gordon Brown's decision to make the BOE independant was certainly a factor in lowering Britains long term interest rates. As you say the macro economy is mainly out of politicians hands.
Indeed, I almost mentioned that - probably the best thing they ever did

B