Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australias Friendliest City?

Australias Friendliest City?

Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

wildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nicewildbriz is just really nice
Default Australias Friendliest City?

Hi
We are a family of five, 3 boys (one with special needs 11yo). We have Australian citizenship and want to return as we miss the tremendous lifestyle but didn't find Brisbane too friendly in general (sorry Brisbanites).
Are there any members who have had experience in living in Melbourne, Adelaide and / or Perth?
We will most likely give Sydney a miss as we get the impression that there is very little help for kids with special needs in state education (Brisbane was very poor).
All in all Australia is our home, we just need to make up our minds on where to settle over there.
Please tell us about your thoughts and experiences?
Tom
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all
Default Re: Australias Friendliest City?

I found Perth very friendly. But the environment didn't suit me.

We are in Tas now, they are friendlier in Summer.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:29 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wildbriz
Hi
We are a family of five, 3 boys (one with special needs 11yo). We have Australian citizenship and want to return as we miss the tremendous lifestyle but didn't find Brisbane too friendly in general (sorry Brisbanites).
Are there any members who have had experience in living in Melbourne, Adelaide and / or Perth?
We will most likely give Sydney a miss as we get the impression that there is very little help for kids with special needs in state education (Brisbane was very poor).
All in all Australia is our home, we just need to make up our minds on where to settle over there.
Tom
F-off to Melbourne then, we ARE friendly.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been anywhere else in Australia to compare, so I won't

We live in Adelaide and I have yet to meet anyone who isn't friendly. It's one of the most affordable places to live in Australia and is pretty central to everywhere else in Australia so holidays around Australia are easily accesible from here. One thing I will say though is look at the job situation as I know a few people that had to move interstate because they couldn't find work in their field.

I find the schools my kids go to pretty good, and my daughter attends a Montessori school which is absolutely fantastic. I can't really help much with the special needs stuff, but you can find some info here: http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/speced/pag...alneeds/intro/
Old Jan 12th 2008, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know why it is but people always forget Canberra!

IMHO we have a pretty good special ed provision with a range of options from special schools through units in mainstream schools to inclusion support in mainstream. People who come here with special needs kids are generally very appreciative of the level of support that their kids get however there are always a few who whinge because with the best will in the world the provisions may not be perfect.

As for being friendly - I dont know that any cities are particularly friendly, it sort of goes against the grain, you are more likely to get friendliness in smaller towns where most folk know most other folk. City suburbia is usually full of working families who dont have that much time for socializing. Our schools are friendly - especially primary schools - who encourage community participation and welcome involved parents.

Employment opportunities are pretty good if the Canberra Times is anything to go by and as Aus citizens you will have the benefit of possible government employment.

Just a thought!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 1:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildbriz
Hi
Tom
You don't seriously think that one city is going to be "friendlier" than the next do you ?

But I understand the comment regarding special needs, but I believe from what a friend explained to me the problem is fairly endemic in the Australian education system nationwide.