Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AUSTRALIA'S airports have been firmly established as "no joking" zones

AUSTRALIA'S airports have been firmly established as "no joking" zones

Old Jul 7th 2005, 12:34 am
ABCDiamond

Default AUSTRALIA'S airports have been firmly established as "no joking" zones

Be aware about joking about bombs etc at the Airports.

AUSTRALIA'S airports have been firmly established as "no joking" zones, with inappropriate comments landing more than 70 people in hot water since March.

Warning that remarks made even in jest could result in a $5500 fine, federal police said yesterday that the passengers had been detained and questioned for making comments at check-in counters, screening points and other airport locations.

Five had been convicted and fined up to $3000.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...55E421,00.html

Old Jul 7th 2005, 1:02 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: AUSTRALIA'S airports have been firmly established as "no joking" zones

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Be aware about joking about bombs etc at the Airports.

AUSTRALIA'S airports have been firmly established as "no joking" zones, with inappropriate comments landing more than 70 people in hot water since March.

Warning that remarks made even in jest could result in a $5500 fine, federal police said yesterday that the passengers had been detained and questioned for making comments at check-in counters, screening points and other airport locations.

Five had been convicted and fined up to $3000.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/c...55E421,00.html
Amazingly stupid.
What made me laugh was this:
The local warning not to indulge in the national pastime comes in addition to warnings about the danger of exercising Aussie humour overseas.
National pastime?
Exercising Aussie humour overseas?
Old Jul 7th 2005, 1:19 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: AUSTRALIA'S airports have been firmly established as "no joking" zones

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Amazingly stupid.
What made me laugh was this:

National pastime?
Exercising Aussie humour overseas?
It's even worse in the United States though, one former Adelaide teacher spent 10 days in jail and was fined $3000 after a comment he made prompted a terror alert that shut down a US airport.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's even worse in the United States though, one former Adelaide teacher spent 10 days in jail and was fined $3000 after a comment he made prompted a terror alert that shut down a US airport.
They showed an example of this on 'Airport' (UK). Some American chap had a violin in a case, and when asked, 'what's in your case, said 'a gun'. Didn't go down very well, and he just didn't get that he had done anything wrong!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
They showed an example of this on 'Airport' (UK). Some American chap had a violin in a case, and when asked, 'what's in your case, said 'a gun'. Didn't go down very well, and he just didn't get that he had done anything wrong!

I saw that episode and still cant understand why people think it is funny in this day and age and, when they do get pulled up for it, they dont understand why?

I have had to give my Hubby a few stern looks when approaching Check In on a couple of our trips as I know he is biting down on his tongue so hard in the attempt not to say something along those lines!!

Hels