Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australians third worst in world for taking holidays

Old Apr 15th 2009, 11:43 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australians third worst in world for taking holidays

Australian workers, who received on average 19 days of leave in the last year, left three days of their total annual leave entitlement unused.

This is behind only Japan, whose workers took just eight days, and the US, whose workers took 10 annual leave days in the past year.

"Europeans famously move to Australia in search of a better and more relaxed lifestyle, but in fact our Vacation Deprivation survey shows that they are likely to have more time to spend with family and friends in their home country," Expedia spokeswoman Louise Crompton said.

"People working in European countries all have and take substantially more holidays than Australian workers and as a nation we are more than twice as likely not to take all of our allocated holidays than those working in Great Britain."
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:47 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Australians third worst in world for taking holidays

"Australians third worst in world for taking holidays"

An example of headlining again...

How many countries in the world ?
Are Australians really the third worst in the world ?

Looking at the actual figures from the report that is quoted "http://press.expedia.com/index.php?s=pageB" :

The three worst countries are shown as:
  1. Percentage of employed adults in the Netherlands that usually don’t take all of their vacation: 49%
  2. Percentage of employed adults in Italy that usually don’t take all of their vacation: 47%
  3. Percentage of employed adults in Austria that usually don’t take all of their vacation: 41%

2008 International Vacation Deprivation Survey:
This year vacation habits are analyzed among employed workers in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, and Austria. The results? American workers again receive and take the least amount of vacation when compared to their international counterparts.
Austria ? Yes, well I couldn't find Australia in the report....

Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:50 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
"Australians third worst in world for taking holidays"

An example of headlining again...

Looking at the actual figures from the report that is quoted "http://press.expedia.com/index.php?s=pageB" :

1. Percentage of employed adults in the Netherlands that usually don’t take all of their vacation: 49%
  2. Percentage of employed adults in Italy that usually don’t take all of their vacation: 47%
  3. Percentage of employed adults in Austria that usually don’t take all of their vacation: 41%

I bet the report doesn't take into account the fact that annual leave rolls over at the end of the year.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

lol - nor me. Downloaded the full report - not a mention of Australia.

Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I knew YOU would say that!

This story is about the 2009 report, you appear to be quoting figures from the 2008 version in which Australia was not included.

The 2009 report is accessible from the link you gave above.

http://www.expedia.com/daily/promos/...on/default.asp

http://media.expedia.com/media/conte...urvey_2009.pdf
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:05 am
Account Closed

So it's a survey of only 11 countries? Hardly a complete picture lol.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
The 2009 report is accessible from the link you gave above.
That link went straight to: 2008 International Vacation Deprivation Survey

The other links then went to:

For complete survey results please visit www.vacationdeprivation.com.

This link then took me to their site where they sell airline tickets...

Damn good advertising for them...

Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:29 am
ABCDiamond

OK... now I have got to the 2009 report...

Some interesting headlines in it.

Great Britain – The most under vacationed country in Europe.

Australia - The Ninth most holiday taking nation in the world

Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I bet the report doesn't take into account the fact that annual leave rolls over at the end of the year.
Don't all countries roll over annual leave so people can take long holidays ?

Talking about long holidays... Long Service Leave...

Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

OK... now I have got to the 2009 report...

Some interesting headlines in it.

Great Britain – The most under vacationed country in Europe.

Australia - The Ninth most holiday taking nation in the world
Heehee.......

So 'The most under vacationed country in Europe' enjoys 36% more vacation allowance than Australia and takes 50% more holiday overall! Eeeek.....no wonder I'm so tired after 2 weeks back at work!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Don't all countries roll over annual leave so people can take long holidays ?

Talking about long holidays... Long Service Leave...
In a word no.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Husband only gets two weeks a year and has to take them over Christmas when the place shuts down so we don't tend to go away. Damned if I'm paying Christmas Holiday prices No big deal, I'm five minutes from one of the best beaches in the country and 20 minutes from mountains - most weekends are a holiday and I don't have to pack.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I have 8 weeks leave a year

It's called "Living the dream"

Old Apr 16th 2009, 1:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Heehee.......

So 'The most under vacationed country in Europe' enjoys 36% more vacation allowance than Australia and takes 50% more holiday overall! Eeeek.....no wonder I'm so tired after 2 weeks back at work!
There is a major problem with the original figures.

The newspaper states that Australian workers, are only allocated on average 19 days of leave in the year.

The legal Minimum Leave Entitlement is actually quoted as:
20 days paid annual leave per year.
plus
10 days paid personal leave.
plus
6.5 days accrued annual leave every year for LSL.

Many people do save up their leave for longer holidays, and just have weekend breaks at places like Sydney or the Gold Coast, etc., ie: normal annual destinations for other countries

Old Apr 16th 2009, 2:11 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
most weekends are a holiday and I don't have to pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.