Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australians are the richest people in the world

Australians are the richest people in the world

Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Australians are the richest people in the world

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbu...n-world-report

Comments?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australians are the richest people in the world

I would have thought that places like Saudi Arabia and other oil rich states would have thrown up these stats. Isn't Luxembourg and Monaco supposedly wealthy as well.

Australia has been the Wealthiest Country before... back in the early 1900's.... Not that most of it's inhabitants would feel wealthy. I guess thats relative though.

I was genuinely shocked how cheaply my father is selling his very well kept and well provisioned 3bed 2 bath house in Prestatyn (Frith beach way sub 100k). So when you look at stats like that... combined with the fact that the majority of people in Aus must bump the house price stats up by living in Cities.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:26 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I can well believe that the average Aussie is worth $220,000 when you take into account equity in a house plus superannuation - what I find hard to believe is that other developed countries aren't as well off.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I can well believe that the average Aussie is worth $220,000 when you take into account equity in a house plus superannuation - what I find hard to believe is that other developed countries aren't as well off.
I think it relates to low credit card debt and small education loans
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand a family being worth $220,000 when you take into account home equity, future superannuation, cars etc but as has been said surely the same applies to most Western nations ? It's not actually money in the pocket is it ?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Exchange rate fluctuations have influenced the results as well.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I can understand a family being worth $220,000 when you take into account home equity, future superannuation, cars etc but as has been said surely the same applies to most Western nations ? It's not actually money in the pocket is it ?
It will be money in your pocket soon ? How's that sale going...any luck yet?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:44 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

But 12 months ago we were being told how Australians had the highest level of household debt in the world ? Now they are the richest in the world.

Originally Posted by Icecube
I think it relates to low credit card debt and small education loans
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:45 pm
Banned

Soon for some of course but not for many others.
Sale ? The house isn't on the market yet.

Originally Posted by fish.01
It will be money in your pocket soon ? How's that sale going...any luck yet?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

$220k is the median figure - not the average. Richest country with an average of $220k each is Switzerland. Australia is number 2 on averages.

My theory is it's entirely due to super. As super is compulsory and held in your name, it's tangible and countable and can be offset against other debt (for the purposes of this survey - not in reality).

Not so easy in countries with no compulsory super and where people rely more on a central pension source.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
Soon for some of course but not for many others.
Sale ? The house isn't on the market yet.
Oh my mistake, I thought it went on a while ago...maybe you were just discussing what it was worth and I assumed it was on.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:08 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
$220k is the median figure - not the average. Richest country with an average of $220k each is Switzerland. Australia is number 2 on averages.

My theory is it's entirely due to super. As super is compulsory and held in your name, it's tangible and countable and can be offset against other debt (for the purposes of this survey - not in reality).

Not so easy in countries with no compulsory super and where people rely more on a central pension source.
Makes sense. The exchange rate adds a massive skew to the stats as well which would only make an Aussie richer if he was shopping abroad for everything rather than faced with local prices.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyC

While I think super would play it part I would think housing equity is by far the biggest contributor. I think the fact that Australian wealth has "quadrupled over the past decade" supports this. I would imagine if house prices drop so will this figure though it is surprising the gap we have against some countries. And as I mentioned the exchange rate would add 20% or so depending on when they did the survey.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Australians are the richest people in the world

Originally Posted by Icecube
I'm bucking the trend.

Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:24 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on your penchant for bananas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.