Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Australians richer, but only a bit happier"

"Australians richer, but only a bit happier"

Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:59 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Cool "Australians richer, but only a bit happier"

http://www.smh.com.au/business/austr...413-1ddwt.html

Households may feel they are suffering under the burden of day-to-day living, but apparently Australians have never been wealthier.

New data suggests that individual wealth is at record highs and debt levels are at a four-year low.

The data - compiled by the Federal Treasury and the Australian Bureau of Statistics and released today - showed that private-sector wealth rose by 1.3 per cent in the final three months of last year to a record $6 trillion.

Commonwealth Securities (CommSec) calculates that per capita wealth increased $2600 on average in the December quarter to $266,600.

As such, CommSec chief economist Craig James believes consumers are more focused on perceptions rather than reality.

‘‘For most, the perception is that they are going backwards - the cost of living is rising, incomes aren’t keeping up and wealth levels are stagnating,’’ Mr James said. ‘‘But the reality is that incomes continue to grow at a faster pace than prices, while balance sheets are improving through record wealth levels and reduced debt levels.’’
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Australians richer, but only a bit happier"

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Meanwhile, in the UK
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-campaign.html
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:05 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

money/wealth can't buy happiness
and there are priceless things in Aussie life taken for granted
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by commonwealth
money/wealth can't buy happiness
and there are priceless things in Aussie life taken for granted
Just as there are priceless things in UK life that are taken for granted.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Meanwhile, same paper, same day -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...-Italians.html
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

I sat on a rock this afternoon in the sun catching whiting and flatheads all afternoon. I don't work yet but i am the happiest man alive
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:30 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

This survey must of been on a politician and not the working family as we are worse off now than five years ago,Australia is heading for a fall
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevski
This survey must of been on a politician and not the working family as we are worse off now than five years ago,Australia is heading for a fall
If everyone, or even most people, believe negatively then you might be right. Thats often what causes recessions - people lose confidence. Australia is fine. Be positive.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Wil_n_Marie is a jewel in the roughWil_n_Marie is a jewel in the roughWil_n_Marie is a jewel in the roughWil_n_Marie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by aussietobe
If everyone, or even most people, believe negatively then you might be right. Thats often what causes recessions - people lose confidence. Australia is fine. Be positive.
Inspirational post
Thank you
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

we are better off than five years ago, does that count?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:24 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 25 years.

Been told the same thing every year of those 25 years. Hasnt happened yet.

(Im better off as well)
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:41 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I've been getting worse off every year since about '98.

My highest rate of pay relative to my cost of living was just before I left the UK. Since then (12 years ago) its been on a downward trend. I if only I realised back then how luxurious it was to have 'excess income'!

Now, of course I must take some responsibility for this downfall. I chose to move to an country where my career options were limited and I was a less valued member of the workforce (I.T.). I chose to make career choices where non-work priorities were valued over career advancement and I also chose more recently to try and shift my skills to a less technical bias (i.e. less prosperous).

I also chose to have kids - which has had the greatest impact on the 'cost of living' side of the equation.....
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Generally it has got worse with an ever increasing number of folk going backwards as a result the increasing divide between the haves and have nots which has increased rather rapidly.

Smugness though has increased in leaps and bounds over the years.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:41 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Maybe some of the disaffected have taken advantage of the exchange rate.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:43 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
I sat on a rock this afternoon in the sun catching whiting and flatheads all afternoon. I don't work yet but i am the happiest man alive
Disgraceful behaviour!

How dare you go off enjoying yourself without calculating the relative cost of that enjoyment compared to at least 1 continent and 5 'first world' countries.

And to within 2 decimal places at that (please show your working).

Now, go away and think about what you have done.

You must read 3 daily newspapers in succession and say 5 'Hail Murdochs' as penance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.