Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australians returning from Overseas - medicare - what you need to bring with you!

Australians returning from Overseas - medicare - what you need to bring with you!

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Robmichellef is on a distinguished road
Default Australians returning from Overseas - medicare - what you need to bring with you!

I have just returned from a reccie from Brisbane in August. I was warned that it would be more difficult for me (been in UK for 16 years) to get medicare than it will for my pommie husband. So I asked at medicare and they gave me a form.

If you have resided outside Australia for less than 5 years all you need is Documentioation to confirm te date you orginally left.

If you have resided outside Australia for longer than 5 years you need documention to confirm tha you have now returned to reusme residence. These must show that you have severed ties from your previouse country of residence. List to follow

Certified copies of the documents should be presened togethre with a completed enrolement form, declaration of residency forms and a cerified photocopy of Australian passport for all persons listed. If you cannot do this, enrolment cannot proceed.

Examples At least on from each, but try to provided more!

DOCUMENTIATION FROM PREVIOUSE COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE CONFIMING

Sale of property
cancellation of lease of rental
sale of business
termination of employment
transfer of personal and houshold effects
closure of bank accounts, health or other insurance
cancellation of membership sport/licensed clubs
cancellation of social security benefits

DOCUMENTATION FROM ASUTRALIA CONFIRMING

purchase of proper for residence
purchase of business
commencement of employment
long-term accommodation lease agreement
children attending school
telelpone, gas or elec accounts for same address
helatho or othe insuranc documents

THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS MAY ALSO ASSIST IN ESTABLIGHING RESIDENCY

Australian driver licence issued since arriving back in oz
car or house hold furniture purchase inboices
bank account opened sith arriving back in OZ
membershipe of shots or licensed clubs

DOCUMENT MUST BE ORGINAL OR COPIES THAT HAVE BEEN CERTIFIED BY A JUSTICE OF THE PEACE

Hope this helps!

Michelle.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australians returning from Overseas - medicare - what you need to bring with you!

What a bloody nightmare! I have thrown away quite a few of the things on the first list so don't no what I am going to do....

I would like to know why they need some of this.

(Just can't wait to get back to that bloody Aussie bureaucracy!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Australians returning from Overseas - medicare - what you need to bring with you!

I know, what a nightmare... I don't know when we will rent as we are staying with my parents in Tweed, who knows when I will get a job - no soon judging by all my typos in my thread!

Where are you going too? We are moving to Brissie in Jan 2006 after 16 years away... very scary! but exciting at the same time.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robmichellef
I know, what a nightmare... I don't know when we will rent as we are staying with my parents in Tweed, who knows when I will get a job - no soon judging by all my typos in my thread!

Where are you going too? We are moving to Brissie in Jan 2006 after 16 years away... very scary! but exciting at the same time.
Just out of interest, We are off in November. Hubby not lived there since 1983 (for six months) so he needs the above documentation - cheers for that, but we have two girls who are dual nationality. Do we need anything in particular to get them on Medicare cos obviously they don't have all that paperwork or do they just get dobbed on the form with me or him

BTW noticed the spelling but assumed you were dyslexic so wasn't going to say anything

Also don't know if you're interested but there are a few of us from round here (bit of Herts) going up to the Northampton meet tomorrow. Probably a bit late notice but thought I would mention it.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

That really nice of you to invite, unfortunately we can't make it as we are at 3 years old party, but she does throw rather good parties that often go well into the night!

I have two kids (5 and 3) who also are dual citz. I would hope that they just come under me... guess we'll have to all be really well if I can't get medicare! Still I can alway claim as Brit. I suspect it just depends who you get at the time. I know one lady had a real nightmare, which prompted me to ask. I can't believe I didn't ask about the kids... to many eggs in one basket I guess.

When and where are you off too? Is there a herts (ish) lot that meet up? Sounds like a nice idea.

Regards Michelle
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When and where are you off too? Is there a herts (ish) lot that meet up? Sounds like a nice idea.

Regards Michelle
Hopefully be gone by mid November. Buyer in rented until then Then off to sunny Gold Coast.

Sue (Sue and Mick) were talking about another Herts meet. Must try and fit one in before November. There are quite a few of us round here. Before we have had them at a pub between Hertford and Welwyn Garden but there was someone who was in Hemel without transport (can't remember who though ) Maybe we could do one nearer this side. Hubby works shifts but I am used to going without him. Is there anywhere around you that is family friendly with nice grub? Can't think of anywhere around me.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

We are going to Melb (not Sydney which we left 13 years ago) on TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are initially staying with relos and will have to sort this Medicare thing out on arrival. I've been told there is a letter you have to get from the Oz Consulate in London which tells Medicare how long you have been away - but haven't done anything about this either!!!!!

We have 3 kids all born here and don't know implications for them either!!

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!!

O
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Hopefully be gone by mid November. Buyer in rented until then Then off to sunny Gold Coast.

Sue (Sue and Mick) were talking about another Herts meet. Must try and fit one in before November. There are quite a few of us round here. Before we have had them at a pub between Hertford and Welwyn Garden but there was someone who was in Hemel without transport (can't remember who though ) Maybe we could do one nearer this side. Hubby works shifts but I am used to going without him. Is there anywhere around you that is family friendly with nice grub? Can't think of anywhere around me.

Where abouts are you?

There are some nice pubs, one with a bouncy castle (not sure for how long) one with a nice playground and anothre with a small farm/playground - we are always up for the pub, need to get lots of visits in before we go!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OzSheila
We are going to Melb (not Sydney which we left 13 years ago) on TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are initially staying with relos and will have to sort this Medicare thing out on arrival. I've been told there is a letter you have to get from the Oz Consulate in London which tells Medicare how long you have been away - but haven't done anything about this either!!!!!

We have 3 kids all born here and don't know implications for them either!!

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!!

O

Oh my god! How are you, I was wreck when I went out in August (Rob stayed at home) I just don't want to imagine how I will be in December! It's the first I've heard about this letter from the consulate - not sure how they would know or care - just how much they can charge! All the best for Tuesday - my thoughts will be with you! I'd send karma but I have know idea how!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:47 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I have just returned from a reccie from Brisbane in August. I was warned that it would be more difficult for me (been in UK for 16 years) to get medicare than it will for my pommie husband. So I asked at medicare and they gave me a form.

If you have resided outside Australia for less than 5 years all you need is Documentioation to confirm te date you orginally left.

If you have resided outside Australia for longer than 5 years you need documention to confirm tha you have now returned to reusme residence. These must show that you have severed ties from your previouse country of residence. List to follow

Certified copies of the documents should be presened togethre with a completed enrolement form, declaration of residency forms and a cerified photocopy of Australian passport for all persons listed. If you cannot do this, enrolment cannot proceed.

Examples At least on from each, but try to provided more!

DOCUMENTIATION FROM PREVIOUSE COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE CONFIMING

Sale of property
cancellation of lease of rental
sale of business
termination of employment
transfer of personal and houshold effects
closure of bank accounts, health or other insurance
cancellation of membership sport/licensed clubs
cancellation of social security benefits

DOCUMENTATION FROM ASUTRALIA CONFIRMING

purchase of proper for residence
purchase of business
commencement of employment
long-term accommodation lease agreement
children attending school
telelpone, gas or elec accounts for same address
helatho or othe insuranc documents

THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS MAY ALSO ASSIST IN ESTABLIGHING RESIDENCY

Australian driver licence issued since arriving back in oz
car or house hold furniture purchase inboices
bank account opened sith arriving back in OZ
membershipe of shots or licensed clubs

DOCUMENT MUST BE ORGINAL OR COPIES THAT HAVE BEEN CERTIFIED BY A JUSTICE OF THE PEACE

Hope this helps!

Michelle.
The rules have changed in the last 17 months then, cos I just rocked up with OZ passport, OZ bank card and German driving licence and got my medicare card (took a lot longer than scottish hubby's (9 wks vs 2 wks) but deffo didnt have to give the docco's you describe.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Where abouts are you?

There are some nice pubs, one with a bouncy castle (not sure for how long) one with a nice playground and anothre with a small farm/playground - we are always up for the pub, need to get lots of visits in before we go!
We are in Harpenden. There is also Gillian (SME) in Redbourn/St Albans; Paul (Jim2004) in Watford and various others (sorry guys )
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

If you have resided .................................................. ..

Hope this helps!

Michelle.
Hi

This may be a bit daft, but why did they say you needed to prove this?

If you are an Australian, surely you are entitled to Medicare benefits?

I am really curious!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 6:50 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Popped into the Medicare office in Sydney while on hols 3 years go and they found me on the system in 30 secs flat from when i was in Perth in 93 !
Got a refund for prescription no hassles!!
just had to show passport .
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh my god! How are you, I was wreck when I went out in August (Rob stayed at home) I just don't want to imagine how I will be in December! It's the first I've heard about this letter from the consulate - not sure how they would know or care - just how much they can charge! All the best for Tuesday - my thoughts will be with you! I'd send karma but I have know idea how!
Well, lets just say there is alot of shouting going on in the house!!! All very stressed in our own ways. To complicate matters hubby commuting between Melb and London for next six months!!! Then again it may be a good thing - we are calling it our "get out clause".

Only really returning home for children's education and to give them atleast some Aussie upbringing but from our point of view not sure if we are doing the right thing. Despite all its faults we quite like living here........time will tell...

Thanks for thoughts - need anything we can come by!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I only heard about the letter from the Consulate because my father went into a health insurance company and they told him. Will deal with on my arrival. At the moment have more pressing concerns!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi

This may be a bit daft, but why did they say you needed to prove this?

If you are an Australian, surely you are entitled to Medicare benefits?

I am really curious!

Exactly, I thought so as well. I always get my moles checked out when I am in OZ as they take it a bit more seriously ... to say the very least. When I tried to claim back using my medicare card I was told that because I hadn't 'used and abused' (my words!) the system since 1989 I had to prove where I had been living and that I had severed all ties from the UK. In the end I claimed under my British passport. It was only because someone else had mentioned that they had problems that I thought to ask. Another thing to add to the list of things to do! HOpe this helps. Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.