Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are australians generally ignorant?

Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:12 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Are australians generally ignorant?

Ive heard it many a time but didnt believe it until tonight,it was our youngests Xmas concert at her Kindy tonight,great turnout but when the staff asked for everyone to quieten down at the start, most of the parents continued to chat,the wee souls, toddler & pre-school age sang their little hearts out but the parents kept on chatting ,louder than the kiddies could sing,even when Santa was shouting out the kids names to collect their pressies ,it was just a rammy
I video taped my daughter (well it was her first kindy performance!),watched it back & all you can hear is chatting
Do the parents just not bother about these kind of special occasions in their child's lives?? am i the weird one ??

I should of just served up my burnt puffs,dont suppose anyone would have bothered lol!!!

Donna.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:18 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are australians generally ignorant?

We get this in the UK too We had our KS1 performance yesterday and we had really tried to get the little ones to concentrate but when you have parents calling out their name so they can take a photo We had mobile phones going off and some people laughed so loud when one of the little ones made a mistake that the poor wee soul walked off stage crying. It is really scary for them and they are shown no respect or respect for the decent parent who do want to hear.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:27 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

its easy. all u do is get a big dummy card with the words "QUIET PLEASE"
written in red
trust me it will work.
just walk in front of the parents as the kids are about to start. now if anyone starts to chat. stand up and stamp your foot once lifting the dummy card.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:30 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

take your child out of the ghetto school
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:31 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Are australians generally ignorant?

Originally Posted by madsad
No, but thankyou for asking so nicely.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:37 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No, but thankyou for asking so nicely.
yes sometimes Im shameful of being a bloody brit
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:37 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
We get this in the UK too We had our KS1 performance yesterday and we had really tried to get the little ones to concentrate but when you have parents calling out their name so they can take a photo We had mobile phones going off and some people laughed so loud when one of the little ones made a mistake that the poor wee soul walked off stage crying. It is really scary for them and they are shown no respect or respect for the decent parent who do want to hear.

Its horrible isn't it,i dont mean to generalise Australians in general but this is the first time i have witnessed behaviour like this.
Ive went through nearly 17 years of school plays,concerts,party's etc & yes there's always one or two loud mouths amongst them,but the parents tonight just didnt seem to give a hoot

Donna.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:39 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

We've just got back from our 3 weeks in Brisbane and surrounding areas.
I can't comment on the something like Madsads experience but we found that anyone we spoke to was really friendly and very helpful. This ranged from someone working in a coffee shop to the bank manager (who you would expect to be helpful!)

We went with the attitude if you need to find something out just ask anyone and believe me we did ask anyone! The conversations I had with people like the local bottle shop bloke, the school principal, the hotel laundry worker who doubled as the car park attendant were wide and ranging, we spoke to all and sundry and everyone was helpful.
You're going to get the odd few I suppose but that's the case wherever you are.

Rich
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:49 am

You're going to get the odd few I suppose but that's the case wherever you are.

Yes,your right. It has just been the first time i have experienced this kind of attitude at what i regard a special occasion for kiddies & their parents.

Donna.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Ive heard it many a time but didnt believe it until tonight,it was our youngests Xmas concert at her Kindy tonight,great turnout but when the staff asked for everyone to quieten down at the start, most of the parents continued to chat,the wee souls, toddler & pre-school age sang their little hearts out but the parents kept on chatting ,louder than the kiddies could sing,even when Santa was shouting out the kids names to collect their pressies ,it was just a rammy
I video taped my daughter (well it was her first kindy performance!),watched it back & all you can hear is chatting
Do the parents just not bother about these kind of special occasions in their child's lives?? am i the weird one ??

I should of just served up my burnt puffs,dont suppose anyone would have bothered lol!!!

Donna.
Just tell them to shut up with a smile. Trust me they would. It's how things are done.

I reckon that when I get back to the UK I will have a black eye within 10mins because I am used to being direct now
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Just tell them to shut up with a smile. Trust me they would. It's how things are done.

I reckon that when I get back to the UK I will have a black eye within 10mins because I am used to being direct now
Lol!! i can relate to that,you wouldnt last 2 mins!

Donna.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

No I dont think Australians are generally ignorant based on your child's school performance. I do however think that generally British people are arrogant though.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 11:58 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them to shut the fluck up
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Tell them to shut the fluck up
Who?

Donna.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:07 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

i dont mean to generalise Australians in general ...Donna.
You sure? Take a look at the subject title...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.