Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are australians generally ignorant?

Are australians generally ignorant?

Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are australians generally ignorant?

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think us brits should take a long hard look at ourselves here in Oz.

We just did some grocery shopping 2 poms were in woolworths maroochydore moaning about the lack of cheese
Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We just did some grocery shopping 2 poms were in woolworths maroochydore moaning about the lack of cheese
Not me!! Honest!!!!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not me!! Honest!!!!
You should have been there, was a raffle in the pub we won a pack of "finest international biere"

Stella artois
Nastro Azzurro
Millers draught
heineken
Becks
Kronenbourg
Corona
Asahi, not sure what that is but it has lots of asian symbols on it

hic
Old Dec 10th 2005, 4:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We had the exact same thing happen last year and i'm a bit put off going this year, cos whats the point

Also theres no consideration given to screaming kids in the room either. It like they're all deaf or something

I would just like to say i'm not generalising and saying all Aussies are ignorant, just wondering if the values are the same at concerts etc? Just another great excuse for a knees up
Old Dec 10th 2005, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Ive heard it many a time but didnt believe it until tonight,it was our youngests Xmas concert at her Kindy tonight,great turnout but when the staff asked for everyone to quieten down at the start, most of the parents continued to chat,the wee souls, toddler & pre-school age sang their little hearts out but the parents kept on chatting ,louder than the kiddies could sing,even when Santa was shouting out the kids names to collect their pressies ,it was just a rammy
I video taped my daughter (well it was her first kindy performance!),watched it back & all you can hear is chatting
Do the parents just not bother about these kind of special occasions in their child's lives?? am i the weird one ??

I should of just served up my burnt puffs,dont suppose anyone would have bothered lol!!!

Donna.
Nope, only specifically so.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:42 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Asahi's a Japanese beer, originally from Osaka. The draught beer is real nice.

ADL
Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:54 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't comment on Xmas concerts as don't have any kids yet but have found Australians in general nothing but friendly and polite - here in the Bayside area I've even found people apologise unnecessarily when they almost bump into you in the supermarkets! Like some other posters all I've heard is British people loudly mouthing off about their dislikes in supermarkets and in the streets - I don't know why people can't accept the differences. However talking through a kiddie concert is just bang out of order as the kids work so hard in rehearsals - I can't understand why the school can't do something about that - its their place to speak out IMO. In Glasgow people were rude too but the majority are fine - I haven't noticed any massive differences that way - if it makes you really unhappy among other troubles then go home - at the end of the day its your decision if Australia makes you a happy person - if it upsets you then it can't really be worth it.

Lynn
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Can't comment on Xmas concerts as don't have any kids yet but have found Australians in general nothing but friendly and polite - here in the Bayside area I've even found people apologise unnecessarily when they almost bump into you in the supermarkets! Like some other posters all I've heard is British people loudly mouthing off about their dislikes in supermarkets and in the streets - I don't know why people can't accept the differences. However talking through a kiddie concert is just bang out of order as the kids work so hard in rehearsals - I can't understand why the school can't do something about that - its their place to speak out IMO. In Glasgow people were rude too but the majority are fine - I haven't noticed any massive differences that way - if it makes you really unhappy among other troubles then go home - at the end of the day its your decision if Australia makes you a happy person - if it upsets you then it can't really be worth it.

Lynn
I have to agree that the Australians are very friendly people. However after 2 1/2 years here I am yet to meet somebody with manors. You let somebody go through a door in front of you or move out of their way in a supermarket and you will never get thanked. Saying that I held open a door for a lady carrying shopping the other day and nearly fell over when she said thanks... but then she was English. The are no road manors and I hate trying to back out of car parking spaces as everybody will carry on squeezing past you and don't get me started on crossing a road with kids in the pouring rain

OK rant over
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
I have to agree that the Australians are very friendly people. However after 2 1/2 years here I am yet to meet somebody with manors. You let somebody go through a door in front of you or move out of their way in a supermarket and you will never get thanked. Saying that I held open a door for a lady carrying shopping the other day and nearly fell over when she said thanks... but then she was English. The are no road manors and I hate trying to back out of car parking spaces as everybody will carry on squeezing past you and don't get me started on crossing a road with kids in the pouring rain

OK rant over
LOL yeah your right about the road manners - road manners seem virtually non-existant!!! in saying that though I don't miss all the having to do hand signals by way of thank you - I think us Scots and English were almost too polite sometimes!!!! I've got used to the lack of manners already and I can't say it bothers me particularly - I don't take it personally its just the way they are and the way they were brought up - manners is a very British thing IMO - I always noticed how polite us brits were in Europe queuing for everything when many other nationalities like Germans and French simply barge to the front - it just dosen't work in the rest of the world - each to their own usually!!!

Embrace the changes,
Lynn
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:12 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun

Lynn
what do you mean? go home because people talked through a kids concert? a bit drastic me thinks.

Donna
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:39 am

what do you mean? go home because people talked through a kids concert? a bit drastic me thinks.

Donna
Not at all Donna -its just i've noticed you post a lot of angry threads - you don't seem very happy - maybe i've got it wrong though so don't take it personally - I agreed that it is rude for people to talk througha concert but let it wash over you - posting negative threads every time something upsets you can't be healthy - it just makes you even angrier.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:43 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Funny that this topic shold come up as I had an experience yesterday that made me wonder for a second...

Usual story, a queue as long as you like....in I walk with my package for DIMIA. In my attempt to find the end of the queue, I am met by a middle aged woman and her son, literally standing in my way and then moving to block me every time I moved to try to get to the end of the queue!! They were not actually in the queue but were looking for a place where they could write an address on a parcel they had to post!

Anyway......said woman turns to her son and says in an Australian accent, 'here, Matt, just stand in the queue for your mum will ya while I write this address over here'.......

Anyway, 10 minutes later, 'Matt' is at the front of the queue and frantically trying to get mums attention!! His turn comes, and what does he do? Looks at me worryingly and tries to block me from overtaking him and going to the counter......this must have gone on for 20 seconds or so whilst 'mum' ran from the other side of the PO barging everyone in the queue out of the way!!!

It was actually very comical to watch and seemed to amuse a great number of people in the queue.......also got me wondering, is this the way Aussies are? I thought that perhaps due to the well documented British arrogance and ignorance, this was her 'way' of getting her own back?

Who knows,,,sure made my trip to the PO a lot more amusing than normal though!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 8:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Are australians generally ignorant?

hic
Asahi is a Japanese beer. The company dates back to 1892.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 9:38 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread: there certainly does seem to be a distinct gap in parts of the "manners" department here.

Having been in Oz for only 14 months (God, is it *that* long already?) one hesitates to mention it - but Australians do appear to have a language gap where stringing the two words "thank" and "you" together consecutively is concerned!

It probably comes down to the old "lucky country" thing: what is yours is theirs and vv: a Brit, in a friend's house, would wait to be offered a drink. In Oz, the guest will probably just open your fridge and take one, as is his right. Thanks are not really required.

Just a difference in the "culture" if that's not too strong a word.....
Old Dec 10th 2005, 9:43 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Ive heard it many a time but didnt believe it until tonight,it was our youngests Xmas concert at her Kindy tonight,great turnout but when the staff asked for everyone to quieten down at the start, most of the parents continued to chat,the wee souls, toddler & pre-school age sang their little hearts out but the parents kept on chatting ,louder than the kiddies could sing,even when Santa was shouting out the kids names to collect their pressies ,it was just a rammy
I video taped my daughter (well it was her first kindy performance!),watched it back & all you can hear is chatting
Do the parents just not bother about these kind of special occasions in their child's lives?? am i the weird one ??

I should of just served up my burnt puffs,dont suppose anyone would have bothered lol!!!

Donna.
I can't say for the rest of Australia but here on the mid north coast I would agree with you, We have stopped going to the cinema now as they talk all through it, We went to a local show where they also talked all through it, makes you wonder why they go to these things if they aren’t interested in watching it. I also get shop staff talking to each other or staying on the phone even though they can see your waiting to be served. I even had the woman at the Chinese take away look up from her doodling, saw me waiting then walked away, came back a few minutes later to take my order. Yesterday went to the local barbers to get the mullet cut, it was 5 to 1pm and the guy was on his lunch, wasn't eating anything just sitting there, I went i sat down and waited and waited, at about 5 past he got up and said I can't cut your hair as I have a booking! Couldn't he have said that 10 minutes ago! Here on the mid north coast they certainly do business in a manor that I completely don't understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.