Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Australians a different race?

View Poll Results: Are Non indigenous Australians a different race to the British?
Yes, Australians are a different race
60.29%
No, Australians are the same basic race as the British
39.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Are Australians a different race?

Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:41 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Australians a different race?

This is a poll to find out how many of you consider that Australians are a different race to the British. I'm talking about the majority non indigenous people. Not Aboriginals.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 3:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Australians a different race?

Voted yes, simply because not everyone here has a "British" background. The whole set up (temperature, lifestyle, geographical location etc) is different from the UK and over the years where ever the people have come from their attitude and behaviour have changed whether for the better or worse is irrelevant (that is a personal attitude).

Just because we drive on the left and speak "English" does not make Australia "British".
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I think we are culturally and morally very similar. Oh and we both like sport and beer . Sense of humour slightly different but all in all on the same path.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:37 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Voted yes, simply because not everyone here has a "British" background. The whole set up (temperature, lifestyle, geographical location etc) is different from the UK and over the years where ever the people have come from their attitude and behaviour have changed whether for the better or worse is irrelevant (that is a personal attitude).

Just because we drive on the left and speak "English" does not make Australia "British".
This is no different from the Cornish, Might look and sound like a different race but they aren't. Just because some stock moved 12000km away, 200 years isn't enough time for them to have evolved into a different race. I've no doubt they will eventually become a race of their own, but they are no more a unique race than the Americans are.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 6:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

No Australians are not a different race. Although the term race is very much argued by scientists as to the description of what it actually means, it still has the tendancy to be broadly catagorised as a group of people bearing the same visual traits such as skin colour or features (eyes, shape, colour etc). Since Australians are mostly of a white european decent they cannot really be distinguished easily from Europeans in physical traits.

Now - culturally thats a completely different bag - but as to race no especially as Australians are an immigrant culture. Afterall, I dont think me becoming an Australian citizen will change my race.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 7:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
This is no different from the Cornish, Might look and sound like a different race but they aren't. Just because some stock moved 12000km away, 200 years isn't enough time for them to have evolved into a different race. I've no doubt they will eventually become a race of their own, but they are no more a unique race than the Americans are.
Presumably then the same could be said for the British - I know it's a fair while since I was at school but I seem to remember being taught that we "The British" were made up up many different nationalities and there were no definite original inhabitants of the British Isles

To be honest, at the end of the day (there must be another rubbish saying) I don't actually care. I know I am English. I know I live in Australia. What nationality anyone else is, is irrelevant to how I perceive them.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 8:39 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Presumably then the same could be said for the British - I know it's a fair while since I was at school but I seem to remember being taught that we "The British" were made up up many different nationalities and there were no definite original inhabitants of the British Isles

To be honest, at the end of the day (there must be another rubbish saying) I don't actually care. I know I am English. I know I live in Australia. What nationality anyone else is, is irrelevant to how I perceive them.
I agree it is all rubbish, but the reason for the thread is the argument I'm having in another thread where I'm being called a racist bigot. If I was to say I think all British work to hard and neglect their families I acording to some would be a racist bigot. And yes I don't class the British as a race either although they have more of a claim on the term than the Australians at the moment. I do class white anglo saxons as a race as I also class Aboriginals as a race, But a few generations removed from pommyland does not make the Australians a race.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=arkon]This is no different from the Cornish, Might look and sound like a different race but they aren't. QUOTE]

Who me ?

Yoo be upsettin them thar prejudices me dear 'ol ma an er ma befor er taut me.

Tis sumwot of a shok I can tell ee. Makin me think yoo ar.

An I alwis thawt I wuz frum a spezial breed me ansome.

Eaven an earth tis gonna be a thawtfall nite.

Where's Denzilfumi ?

E'll ave an opinion on this fur sure.

E's a istorian scolar in is spare time.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

This is a poll to find out how many of you consider that Australians are a different race to the British. I'm talking about the majority non indigenous people. Not Aboriginals.
Are you going to have a follow up poll to see how many of us consider that Britains are a different race to the Saxons, Normans or Romans?

Please no flames, it's just a Sunday morning jest...
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:12 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Are you going to have a follow up poll to see how many of us consider that Britains are a different race to the Saxons, Normans or Romans?

I'm sorry Scott I take serious issue with those comments.

It's evening not morning
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:36 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by ScottDavis

But I've been here a year now and now can't tell if your jesting or not unless you use a smiley! My sense of humour is slowly being eroded. Think I need a monty python fix.....
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Re: Are Australians a different race?

But I've been here a year now and now can't tell if your jesting or not unless you use a smiley! My sense of humour is slowly being eroded. Think I need a monty python fix.....
<--- points to smiley in post
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

They're a multi-racial society so much the same as UK. Culturally they differ quite a lot, so don't know how to vote
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Not enough option's on the Poll there should be "Are Australians a broad mix of culturally and racially diverse people living in the same country?"
Old Mar 5th 2006, 10:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by cresta57
Not enough option's on the Poll there should be "Are Australians a broad mix of culturally and racially diverse people living in the same country?"
Would I fit it there then ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.