Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australians call it CV or a Resume?

Australians call it CV or a Resume?

Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:46 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australians call it CV or a Resume?

Originally Posted by Margaret3
i thought you were a train driver
I am actually a world reknowned cosmetic surgeon, known for my perky buttock lifting technique.

....and then of course, there's what I do when I am actually at work.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:51 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busterboy
I am actually a world reknowned cosmetic surgeon, known for my perky buttock lifting technique.

....and then of course, there's what I do when I am actually at work.

oh right that clears up the confusion
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

steve_and_gill will become famous soon enoughsteve_and_gill will become famous soon enough

The whole length of CV thing is something I'd love to get guidance on.

My CV is in the form:

name etc
summary (2 smallish para)
Skills (around a page)
Employment summary (bare details of dates and departments)
Employment Details (details of each position, tasks and a summary of notable achievements)
Education (professional and academic)
Hobbies & interests (which should just read working and getting a visa after the last year)
Web links to companies I have worked with or for of note.

All this comes out at a wopping 6 pages, but I've struggled to cut it down. I think I can thin the skills out based on specific job, but that is about all, and plus I want to show that I have loads of skills and can easily adapt to new technologies as I work on them.
My employment history is difficult, I have to use wooly terms because I worked for UK MOD and it was for research and development... Makes bullet points pretty difficult.

If a recruiter can skim those first two pages and see the skills and employment summary I kind of hope they will then either pass the sift or put aside to read the details, just because something is 6 pages doesn't mean you have to read it all or none at all.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

RobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant future

...I worked for UK MOD and it was for research and development... Makes bullet points...
Definitely midunderstood that the first time I read it!

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

steve_and_gill will become famous soon enoughsteve_and_gill will become famous soon enough

Did wonder about going for the joke, easy to make bullets, but not bullet points..

In sales you can say stuff like
* sold 300,000 units and increased turn over by 40%

I can't really say:
* did stuff that meant we had other stuff that helped do some stuff.

and get the same impact.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:42 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by live2learn
Hi there,

Just got a very simple question. When applying for a job or for immigrations purposes, the word CV or Resume is more common in Australia?

I think in UK they call it CV what do you think about Australia?

Please advise!

Thanks!

I was born and raised in Australia.

I call it a resume.

My father calls it a CV.

My mother often calls it a resume. My brother often says CV. And so on.

Anybody who tells you we say one word and not the other is wrong. We use them interchangeably. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' term.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
I was born and raised in Australia.

I call it a resume.

My father calls it a CV.

My mother often calls it a resume. My brother often says CV. And so on.

Anybody who tells you we say one word and not the other is wrong. We use them interchangeably. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' term.
Agree

Call it either one....but be aware that physically a resume really is a CV. ie very long and not a two page preci (sp??) (resume) of your life, but your life story (curriulum vitae).
Old Jul 29th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

msfi is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on industry, length and content. Resumes are shorter and briefer, more common in companies.

I work in government and mine is a CV because it lists -

experience - with brief bullets
education
short courses
professional involvement
memberships
publications
skills
referees

btw - someone mentioned hobbies - drop that!