Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Australians boring?

Are Australians boring?

Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Australians boring?

Originally Posted by Sasha Fierce
Also I have a strong accent and have to speak slower and occasionally repeat things which I get tierd of doing.
You won't be the first, and you won't be the last....! This would be a major stumbling block at times...cheers
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I find the Australian accent a major stumbling block.....I find it hard to listen to at times.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I find the Australian accent a major stumbling block.....I find it hard to listen to at times.
Depends on the sort of Australian you meet, surely? Most I hear are easy to understand.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Depends on the sort of Australian you meet, surely? Most I hear are easy to understand.
They are easy enough to understand...it is simply an awful accent.....especially those that squeak at the end of every sentence.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They are easy enough to understand...it is simply an awful accent.....especially those that squeak at the end of every sentence.
Can we have an example?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Can we have an example?
No.....just listen to a few.

The rising intonation should be banned or the speakers deported to Norfolk island or somewhere dismal like Perth as punishment
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No.....just listen to a few.

The rising intonation should be banned or the speakers deported to Norfolk island or somewhere dismal like Perth as punishment
Aha...yes the rising intonation. Seems prominent in the young and female, and perhaps suburban.

Deport them to Perth where they can do battle with Geordie...Brummie....
stand back and light the touch paper...perhaps. Then we will see who is the bestest at being dullest...(or rather barely intelligible!)

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 17th 2012 at 10:31 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Aha...yes the rising intonation. Seems prominent in the young and female, and perhaps suburban.
Think you hit the nail on the head there. Sometimes known as the sentence ending inflection which kind of sounds like it should be a question but is usually a statement. More often than not found in the white female bogan.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beoz
Think you hit the nail on the head there. Sometimes known as the sentence ending inflection which kind of sounds like it should be a question but is usually a statement. More often than not found in the white female bogan.
Haha see you guys have got the patter
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually to be fair, it's in a fair amount of the population...just in varying degrees. At best, it doesn't make the accent hard to hear, or understand, but it might be an irritant.

It is also picked up slightly by migrant Britons (some who will deny they do it), and even, I believe...UK-based yoof who used to watch soaps...and even in the US????????

I find an Australianism of far more note is the guttural adenoidal emphasis - which is prominent, this time, in the male population...

At worst = massive Bogan (and irritant).

At best, can actually sound quite commanding and rich. See some prominent Australian statesman/pollies.

But we digress...

Originally Posted by itxrd
Haha see you guys have got the patter
You what, John?!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Actually to be fair, it's in a fair amount of the population...just in varying degrees. At best, it doesn't make the accent hard to hear, or understand, but it might be an irritant.

It is also picked up slightly by migrant Britons (some who will deny they do it), and even, I believe...UK-based yoof who used to watch soaps...and even in the US????????

I find an Australianism of far more note is the guttural adenoidal emphasis - which is prominent, this time, in the male population...

At worst = massive Bogan (and irritant).

At best, can actually sound quite commanding and rich. See some prominent Australian statesman/pollies.

But we digress...
Well I find a harsh Kiwi accent or an Essex accent more grating on the ears than a standard Aussie bogan accent.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I find a harsh Kiwi accent or an Essex accent more grating on the ears than a standard Aussie bogan accent.
I find many English accents grating due to the glottal stop, extreme accent, or a habit of failing to talk in sentences. At least the Australian drawl is slow. I've never had to ask an Australian to repeat something in a professional environment.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:29 am
Just Joined

chochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to allchochobnob is a name known to all

I'd agree. I personally find Australians dull but that's probably because my world and background was so eccentric that the aggressive culture of conformity here grates on me a bit.

Australia isn't a great place to be demonstratively 'different' an awful lot of people here feel threatened by those that they can't place in a neat mental box and who think differently to them.

There's an English guy in my office, an old school toff in his 30's, lovely guy, he's witty, funny, highly literate, camp but a massive ladykiller and alway well dressed in that kind of fey caddish English way (mustard cords and tweed) and frigging smart. He's about as far from 'Australian' as you can get.

Pretty much all the Aussies think he's a knob and say so. His extreme Englishness and individual confidence seems to offend them on a spiritual level. He doesn't care what anyone thinks of him and it shows. He turned up to our christmas party dressed as Pharlap which gives you an idea...

The Brits, Indians, Americans, Europeans and Asians, think he's an absolute legend.

I can't help thinking this say something about Aussies.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chochobnob
I'd agree. I personally find Australians dull but that's probably because my world and background was so eccentric that the aggressive culture of conformity here grates on me a bit.

Australia isn't a great place to be demonstratively 'different' an awful lot of people here feel threatened by those that they can't place in a neat mental box and who think differently to them.

There's an English guy in my office, an old school toff in his 30's, lovely guy, he's witty, funny, highly literate, camp but a massive ladykiller and alway well dressed in that kind of fey caddish English way (mustard cords and tweed) and frigging smart. He's about as far from 'Australian' as you can get.

Pretty much all the Aussies think he's a knob and say so. His extreme Englishness and individual confidence seems to offend them on a spiritual level. He doesn't care what anyone thinks of him and it shows. He turned up to our christmas party dressed as Pharlap which gives you an idea...

The Brits, Indians, Americans, Europeans and Asians, think he's an absolute legend.

I can't help thinking this say something about Aussies.
I've met some eccentric, literate Australians. But I can see where you are coming from; it might also say something about the people you work with. I think there are plenty of well educated and interesting Australians - you just have to find them. A lot of it is demographic.

I've worn tweed to the office, and I might even be considered eccentric by my mates... (but levelled with a healthy degree of worldiness and down to earth). In Melbourne, there are plenty of dandies.

I remember people in the UK would certainly think you a toff if you so much as did any of the above..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 20th 2012 at 1:10 am.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BTW - to add balance - yes I think Australian suburbanites can be conformist and perhaps 'boring' - but I can't be sure they are any worse than their direct UK equivalent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.