Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Australian Working Rich?

The Australian Working Rich?

Old Dec 13th 2002, 4:53 am
sydneyrose

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Well being dragged up by rabid Tories I tend to be left wing ,but having seen how Republics work I think a Constitutional Monarchy does a far better job.
Never met a pollie yet who looked after anyone bar themself , the Queen is there in order to prevent dictators taking over she is a safe guard worth keeping .
We my Welsh lovely will agree to disagree on this ,but there are groups in Australia that are pro Monarchy god bless them.

Australia
The Monarchist League of Australia
Australians for Constitutional Monarchy
Queenslanders for Constitutional Monarchy
The Australian National Flag Association
The Australian Republic Unpluged
For the Sovereignty of the People
Australia : A Sovereign Commonwealth

so how is the campaign going, PB

are you winning hearts and minds to your cause?

Old Dec 13th 2002, 5:29 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sydneyrose
so how is the campaign going, PB

are you winning hearts and minds to your cause?
Rose you are a girl , bit of banter makes the day go faster.

Old Dec 13th 2002, 5:48 am
sydneyrose

Rose you are a girl , bit of banter makes the day go faster.

I have to walk the dogs
but before I go

don't deter them all from migrating!
but canada as an alternative looks appealing in my lonely planet
not hot, and I don't think they would have redbacks
and they would fight being american clones
and they are monarchists

and there is a lovely picture here of a moose

but you would have to practise your cricket

Old Dec 13th 2002, 8:48 am
sydneyrose

Default Re: The Australian Working Rich?

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by jockney
[i].

my concern about this forum is that there are posters who clearly do not understand that oz is a broad church, and that they will have to comply with the standards of a large migrant community
the picture portrayed, to be blunt, is that people are unhappy with societal changes in the uk, and oz is getting the racists, the bigots and the segregationists
correct me if I am wrong
my current mood is that there should be a moratorium on british immigration until we clear up this matter.

Hi,In the uk papers this morning Jack straw has reavealed that in may2004 they will grant full working rights to the ten countries about to join the eu.He also denies that there will be an influx of migrants.The government have the right to pospone this for seven years but have decided to open the gates before other eu members.Let`s get this straight first`I`M NOT RACIST.Anybody in the uk at the moment who voices any sort of descent on these issues is automatically considered rasist.A recent poll showed 75% of britons worried about the loss of control of immigration and our borders.We live in a very overly populated south east and our concerns about space,quality of living etc are the reasons along with security why we want to move to oz(adelaide)We along with most people who are migrating have lived all our lives in a multicultural society in the uk without problems with race ,therefor Icant see this being a problem for most british migrants.Australia has a managed migration policy which seems to work although like the uk they talk of growth in numbers where we should be looking at maintaining population numbers to continue our quality of life.If people from the uk mention the illegal immigrants etc it`s because of the overcrowding,lack of facility arguement rather than racism.South australia is about 4 times the size of the uk (not to mention how many times larger than the south east)with only 1.5 million population.We already have numbers in the south east of asylum seekers,etc which must ,although not officially admitted,getting close to that number nobody knows.A school in the midlands also has been reported today bottom of performance tables because of 22 languages being spoken and a small minority having english as a first language.To escape things like this families want to migrate but again this does not make them racist they are looking for a better quality of life in a place they believe will be protected from over population. jockney
thankyou for your reply

I entered this forum by accident - I was looking for travel information for canada - and then I was so outraged by some racist postings: in particular about oz children, aborigines and other oz migrants that I replied. I also interrupted some threads, and I am genuinely sorry about that, it was in reply to a particular perth poster who eats tripe and speaks it as well.
I have focussed on the asia pacific in recent years and have not travelled to the uk for a while (although I follow international news) so have not seen at first hand the effects of illegal immigration that you describe. It certainly caused a furore here, with a ruthless group of criminals prepared to have their clients die at sea, the immigrants themselves had some determined and violent elements, and increasingly extreme measures by the oz government, which included locking up children in detention centres. Also questioned here was the failure of leadership in UNHCR in protecting the meaning of the 1951 convention from corruptive practices of people smugglers. We also had a neighbour (Indonesia) unable to quell the people smuggling. Some of this may replicate what you have been experiencing, some not. We have the added issue that unlike the uk, we have a legal refugee intake and very large legal migrant intake and the arrival of illegal immigrants threatened to subvert these programmes. In Sydney, it was the migrant communities who particularly voiced concern about illegal immigration.
I feel that any society based on the rule of law is going to have problems accepting migration organised by criminals. It also seems that the demographics of this migration is young male and that can cause social problems to the host community. I can understand why people in the uk might be worried about this and it is a pity if, as you say, people cannot voice this worry without being called racists.
That, however, was not what I meant. I was concerned about the racist remarks in some of the threads. I find it deeply offensive, for example that racist remarks were made about our children. And our children now are really quite a "blended" population of the older english/scots/irish migrations and the postwar migration, some of whom have arrived with simply terrible refugee stories. I have ex refugees in my family.
Adelaide is a lovely city. If you get the chance, try a trip up through the Flinders to Wilpena Pound and Arkaroola. It gives a fascinating contrast between an 'english' city and the sheer vastness of the outback.
best wishes
Rose

Old Dec 13th 2002, 8:56 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Queen is there in order to prevent dictators taking over she is a safe guard worth keeping .

You are kidding right???? Lol and you say you are married to a Scottish lass! (get your mrs on here… she will know better)

PB the Queen and everything she stands for is dictatorship!!!, fair enough she's an English Queen, you can keep her if you want, but please don't tell me my history... You English can keep her if you want, after all she's your queen. But don't tell me about Dictatorship!, you can not say that to any welsh, Scottish, or Irish person.
Take a look at the union Jack... ever wonder why Wales is not there? don't talk about dictatorship to us. We did not sign the act of union.

Did you know we us welsh.. our flag was not recognised until the 70's.(not officially recognised by HM). but we have one of the oldest flags in the world still in use today (plus one of the oldest languages in Europe)

My grandfather during school got rapped? Slapped for speaking welsh... and told to speak queens English .. modern history. we still today... census -- get this what ethnic are you? census in Britain ' English, Scottish, Irish, Indian, Pakistani, etc,, or other!!" there was no box for Wales... which we kicked up about ... so please don't tell me about the Queen stops dictatorship... it's laughable! Who is the Prince of Wales? And Why???? lol

Read your history.. See what your so-called monarchy did do to us Welsh( I'm surprised at you PB, married to a scot, you should know better). Owain Glyndwr to you... true hero. Have a look at your monarchy see what they did to ours .Llewellyn last prince of Wales... true prince not the puppet Englishman with big ears... invasion, murder. loss of rights, why do you think I am speaking English?? eh? "The Act of Union"... what a joke... we did not sign. no choice in the matter. So you can stick your English monarchy where the sun don't shine ( sorry ,PB , I am totally an anti monarchist, and till the day I die I'm an Independent Wales)

PB, I can't agree with you on this one... the queen , the monarchy deserves to be shot!

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Dec 13th 2002 at 9:26 am.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 9:40 am
2thick

Originally posted by Ceri
PB the Queen and everything she stands for is dictatorship!!!, fair enough she's an English Queen, you can keep her if you want, but please don't tell me my history... You English can keep her if you want, after all she's your queen. But don't tell me about Dictatorship!, you can not say that to any welsh, Scottish, or Irish person.
Take a look at the union Jack... ever wonder why Wales is not there? don't talk about dictatorship to us. We did not sign the act of union.

Did you know we us welsh.. our flag was not recognised until the 70's.(not officially recognised by HM). but we have one of the oldest flags in the world still in use today (plus one of the oldest languages in Europe)

My grandfather during school got rapped? Slapped for speaking welsh... and told to speak queens English .. modern history. we still today... census -- get this what ethnic are you? census in Britain ' English, Scottish, Irish, Indian, Pakistani, etc,, or other!!" there was no box for Wales... which we kicked up about ... so please don't tell me about the Queen stops dictatorship... it's laughable! Who is the Prince of Wales? And Why???? lol

Read your history.. See what your so-called monarchy did do to us Welsh( I'm surprised at you PB, married to a scot, you should know better). Owain Glyndwr to you... true hero. Have a look at your monarchy see what they did to ours .Llewellyn last prince of Wales... true prince not the puppet Englishman with big ears... invasion, murder. loss of rights, why do you think I am speaking English?? eh? "The Act of Union"... what a joke... we did not sign. no choice in the matter. So you can stick your English monarchy where the sun don't shine ( sorry ,PB , I am totally an anti monarchist, and till the day I die I'm an Independent Wales)

PB, I can't agree with you on this one... the queen , the monarchy deserves to be shot!

cheers
What an incredibly well balanced rant; a chip on both shoulders lol. Next you'll be suggesting we scrap English and start conducting world affiars in Welsh lol

Old Dec 13th 2002, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

cheers
Ceri, I totally agree with you on this one, I am English but am ashamed and embarrassed by the Monarchy, nothing but hypocrites and spongers to say the least!

Marlo
Old Dec 13th 2002, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree that Australia would have become a republic if the voting system was fair in Aus. People voted to stay with the queen, because the choice of a head of state was to be chosen by the politicians and not the general public. People do not trust politicians.. the voting was unfair, so they stayed with "better the devil you know", not because they are royalists.
Exactly Ceri. I only voted against the republic in the last referendum because I didn't like the dog's breakfast being offered. I had planned to vote to toss Betty in the bin, along with her dysfunctional inbred family, but little Johnnie buggered up the questions so as to get the result HE wanted. All my friends were the same. None of us are Royalists. They're viewed as irrelevant, outdated, amusing at best.

Britain protects this country,
Really? Hmm, you've got a lot more confidence than I do. But I hope you're right. Although, if it's all the same with you, I feel a bit more confident about the Yanks what with all their bloody great big hardware. Plus, they're a lot closer. It'd be days before the Brits got here to help us. Then they might hit some rock on the way and have to be rescued.

And truth be known, there's absolutely no way Australia could solely defend herself if invaded, they have not got the manpower, or equipment.
You're probably right, especially with the sneaky feral brainwashed nutcases out there. They don't play by the rules anymore.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to walk the dogs
but before I go

don't deter them all from migrating!
but canada as an alternative looks appealing in my lonely planet
not hot, and I don't think they would have redbacks
No, no redbacks, but bears are a worry especially if you like to go out for a walk in the woods with the dogs. Make lots of noise and if you see a cute fuzzy wuzzy bear cub, run like HELL. Because Big Mama Bear will be nearby ready to rip you to shreds. Sometimes though, they get hungry and mankind has infringed on their territory so you find them in your backyard, trying to open the rubbish bin. Or in the schoolyard after recess or lunch feeding on leftovers in the bins. Regretfully, they get shot by wildlife control people. Sad sight to see a treed bear get shot, falling to the ground like a ton of bricks. Dead. One of my worst memories of living in Canada. But a fantastic country nevertheless.

and they would fight being american clones
Losing battle since the buggers are right next door. Their TV stations are beamed into 90% of Canadian households. Radio stations too. And I noticed that during the last few years I was there, even the blasted Canadian newspapers were using that lazy American spelling for words like behaviour and labour, dropping the "u".

and they are monarchists
Especially now, after she dropped the puck at a hockey game in October. That's ICE hockey - the religion of Canada. She's become their Pope, even if she did looked a tad puzzled at the time. Wish we had ice hockey here, instead of that boring cricket. Hockey's fast and the skill amazing. Cricket's a bunch of blokes standing around waiting for something to happen. Too long. Who's got 3 days to keep track of a game? Christ, I can't focus on something for longer then 3 hours, let alone 3 days. Thank God for the rugby and footie or I'd fall asleep watching sport here.

and there is a lovely picture here of a moose
Yes, they are cute. Beavers too. Rocky & Bullwinkle. Named my dog after them (Rocky).

but you would have to practise your cricket
Forget the cricket. Practise your skating, eh.
Old Dec 16th 2002, 12:50 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

You are kidding right???? Lol and you say you are married to a Scottish lass! (get your mrs on here… she will know better)

PB the Queen and everything she stands for is dictatorship!!!, fair enough she's an English Queen, you can keep her if you want, but please don't tell me my history... You English can keep her if you want, after all she's your queen. But don't tell me about , you can not say that to any welsh, Scottish, or Irish person.

cheers

The Queen had a Scottish Mother as I remind my outlaws , I do wonder where Wales , Scotland and Northern Ireland would be now without the English to keep them?
The Queen only comes in to play when Democracy fails , this stops a Hitler ever getting in to power.
All the countries that work in the world have a system based on the British Mother of Parliments , a Mr Cromwell tried and failed to make Britain the worlds first Republic we Brits do not like Dictatorship!
The Queen loves Wales so much she give you her Eldest son, what more could you want.
Best Wishes PB

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 16th 2002 at 12:54 am.
Old Dec 16th 2002, 12:53 am
Banned

Originally posted by Marlo
Ceri, I totally agree with you on this one, I am English but am ashamed and embarrassed by the Monarchy, nothing but hypocrites and spongers to say the least!

Marlo

Have you met what passes for an average pollie in Australia , I think the Royal family wins out right.
Old Dec 16th 2002, 1:05 am
Banned

Originally posted by Perth Helena
Exactly Ceri. I only voted against the republic in the last referendum because I didn't like the dog's breakfast being offered. I had planned to vote to toss Betty in the bin, along with her dysfunctional inbred family, but little Johnnie buggered up the questions so as to get the result HE wanted. All my friends were the same. None of us are Royalists. They're viewed as irrelevant, outdated, amusing at best.

Really? Hmm, you've got a lot more confidence than I do. But I hope you're right. Although, if it's all the same with you, I feel a bit more confident about the Yanks what with all their bloody great big hardware. Plus, they're a lot closer. It'd be days before the Brits got here to help us. Then they might hit some rock on the way and have to be rescued.

You're probably right, especially with the sneaky feral brainwashed nutcases out there. They don't play by the rules anymore.

The Brits had to Ferry your piss pot Army to East Timor and were the first to land no Yanks there at all?
So no Republic because no Australian can not come up with anything better than Betty , sounds about right.

Old Dec 16th 2002, 4:43 am
Banned

Default Re: The Australian Working Rich?

thankyou for your reply

I entered this forum by accident - I was looking for travel information for canada - and then I was so outraged by some racist postings: in particular about oz children, aborigines and other oz migrants that I replied. I also interrupted some threads, and I am genuinely sorry about that, it was in reply to a particular perth poster who eats tripe and speaks it as well.
I have focussed on the asia pacific in recent years and have not travelled to the uk for a while (although I follow international news) so have not seen at first hand the effects of illegal immigration that you describe. It certainly caused a furore here, with a ruthless group of criminals prepared to have their clients die at sea, the immigrants themselves had some determined and violent elements, and increasingly extreme measures by the oz government, which included locking up children in detention centres. Also questioned here was the failure of leadership in UNHCR in protecting the meaning of the 1951 convention from corruptive practices of people smugglers. We also had a neighbour (Indonesia) unable to quell the people smuggling. Some of this may replicate what you have been experiencing, some not. We have the added issue that unlike the uk, we have a legal refugee intake and very large legal migrant intake and the arrival of illegal immigrants threatened to subvert these programmes. In Sydney, it was the migrant communities who particularly voiced concern about illegal immigration.
I feel that any society based on the rule of law is going to have problems accepting migration organised by criminals. It also seems that the demographics of this migration is young male and that can cause social problems to the host community. I can understand why people in the uk might be worried about this and it is a pity if, as you say, people cannot voice this worry without being called racists.
That, however, was not what I meant. I was concerned about the racist remarks in some of the threads. I find it deeply offensive, for example that racist remarks were made about our children. And our children now are really quite a "blended" population of the older english/scots/irish migrations and the postwar migration, some of whom have arrived with simply terrible refugee stories. I have ex refugees in my family.
Adelaide is a lovely city. If you get the chance, try a trip up through the Flinders to Wilpena Pound and Arkaroola. It gives a fascinating contrast between an 'english' city and the sheer vastness of the outback.
best wishes
Rose
Thanks for the mention Rose , you always put your point across so well Australia could do with a lot more like you , ever thought about living in Perth this hick Town could do with you.

Old Dec 16th 2002, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

>> The Brits had to Ferry your piss pot Army to East Timor and were the first to land no Yanks there at all?
So no Republic because no Australian can not come up with anything better than Betty , sounds about right.

You talk such nonsense PB, now tell me how britain won the Falklands war eh? I'm afraid the days of the brits going it alone are long gone (and I think you already know this).

The answer is - "With a little help from my (yankee) friends" - best sung loudly in a Ringo Starr voice.

As for the usefulness/importance of the royal family, well these true anecdotes should speak loud and clear:

Some of Prince Philip's best moments:

1) After accepting a gift off a Kenyan native he replied "You are a woman aren't you?"

2) After the Dunblane massacre : "If a cricketer decided to go into a school and batter people to death with his bat, are we going to ban cricket bats?"

3) "If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an aeroplane, or swims and is not a submarine the Cantonese will eat it"

4) On a World Wildlife Fund visit he refused to touch a Koala bear as "It will be riddled with ghastly diseases"

5) Suggested locals were cannibals on a visit to Papua New Guinea by asking a British student "You managed not to get eaten then?"

6) Asked a wealthy Cayman Islander "You're all descended from pirates aren't you?"

7) Asked a Scottish driving instructor "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough for them to pass"

8) Told a group of deaf school children at a fund raising event standing next to a Jamaican steel drum band "Deaf? No wonder you are deaf standing so close to that racket"

9) On a visit to China he described Peking as "ghastly" and said that if you stay too long there you will become "slitty eyed"

10) Told a student in Budapest that "You can't have been in Budapest that long because you haven't got a pot-belly"

11) In India visiting a site where the British army in the years of the Empire had slaughtered Indian civilians, He was shown a plaque commemorating the 2000 killed to which he quipped "No, no, we didn't slaughter that many"

12) Told a mother who had recently lost two sons in a house fire that "smoke alarms are a damn nuisance"

13) On a visit to a large factory he told a group of workers that a fuse box "looks like it has been put in by an Indian"

In 1996 he caused an outcry among gun law reformers when he said: "There's no evidence that people who use weapons for sport are any more dangerous than people who use golf clubs or
tennis rackets or cricket bats."

The Prince angered local residents in Lockerbie when on a visit to the town in 1993, he said to a man who lived in a road where 11 people had been killed by wreckage from the Pan Am jumbo
jet: "People usually say that after a fire it is water damage that is the worst. We are still trying to dry out Windsor Castle."

He said of Canada: "We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."

At the height of the recession in 1981 he said: "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."

In 1966 he provoked outrage by saying: "British women can't cook."

Personal remarks have annoyed singing stars. In 1969 The Duke said to Tom Jones after the Royal Variety Performance: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?".

Prince Philip's joke to a blind girl at an award ceremony: 'A blind man walked into a pub and swung his guide dog around his head by the tail. He told the barman 'I'm just having a look
around'.'

Prince Philip on his daughter, Princess Anne: 'If it doesn't fart or eat hay, she isn't interested.

Rule Britannia?

Last edited by madmancunian; Dec 17th 2002 at 1:49 am.
Old Dec 16th 2002, 1:44 pm
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road

Brilliant. Do you collect these or is there a "little book of royal gaffes"? If so, I want one for christmas

Originally posted by madmancunian
>>

As for the usefulness/importance of the royal family, well these true anacdotes should speak load and clear:

Some of Prince Philip's best moments:

1) After accepting a gift off a Kenyan native he replied "You are a woman aren't you?"

2) After the Dunblane massacre : "If a cricketer decided to go into a school and batter people to death with his bat, are we going to ban cricket bats?"

3) "If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an aeroplane, or swims and is not a submarine the Cantonese will eat it"

4) On a World Wildlife Fund visit he refused to touch a Koala bear as "It will be riddled with ghastly diseases"

5) Suggested locals were cannibals on a visit to Papua New Guinea by asking a British student "You managed not to get eaten then?"

6) Asked a wealthy Cayman Islander "You're all descended from pirates aren't you?"

7) Asked a Scottish driving instructor "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough for them to pass"

8) Told a group of deaf school children at a fund raising event standing next to a Jamaican steel drum band "Deaf? No wonder you are deaf standing so close to that racket"

9) On a visit to China he described Peking as "ghastly" and said that if you stay too long there you will become "slitty eyed"

10) Told a student in Budapest that "You can't have been in Budapest that long because you haven't got a pot-belly"

11) In India visiting a site where the British army in the years of the Empire had slaughtered Indian civilians, He was shown a plaque commemorating the 2000 killed to which he quipped "No, no, we didn't slaughter that many"

12) Told a mother who had recently lost two sons in a house fire that "smoke alarms are a damn nuisance"

13) On a visit to a large factory he told a group of workers that a fuse box "looks like it has been put in by an Indian"

In 1996 he caused an outcry among gun law reformers when he said: "There's no evidence that people who use weapons for sport are any more dangerous than people who use golf clubs or
tennis rackets or cricket bats."

The Prince angered local residents in Lockerbie when on a visit to the town in 1993, he said to a man who lived in a road where 11 people had been killed by wreckage from the Pan Am jumbo
jet: "People usually say that after a fire it is water damage that is the worst. We are still trying to dry out Windsor Castle."

He said of Canada: "We don't come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves."

At the height of the recession in 1981 he said: "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."

In 1966 he provoked outrage by saying: "British women can't cook."

Personal remarks have annoyed singing stars. In 1969 The Duke said to Tom Jones after the Royal Variety Performance: "What do you gargle with, pebbles?".

Prince Philip's joke to a blind girl at an award ceremony: 'A blind man walked into a pub and swung his guide dog around his head by the tail. He told the barman 'I'm just having a look
around'.'

Prince Philip on his daughter, Princess Anne: 'If it doesn't fart or eat hay, she isn't interested.

Rule Britannia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.