Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Australian Working Rich?

The Australian Working Rich?

Old Dec 9th 2002, 2:19 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Australian Working Rich?

Well sod me I must be one of these or maybe not I thought I was the working poor.? The second letter forgot to add the UK to his list of immigrants from poorer countries I think?

"The fact that skilled emigration outflows are matched by inflows illustrates that just as many skilled professionals from poorer counties, such as India, China, and New Zealand, are willing to emigrate to Australia to improve their standard of living. "

Bogged in the emigration food chain

I READ with interest your two stories (Inquirer, The Nation 7-8/12) about one million of our population being overseas. Of course as a percentage of our professionals, it would be much higher.

Firstly, how about some vision and leadership in this country to develop our skills and research base to provide opportunities at home. I recall that the ALP's poorly presented knowledge nation was ridiculed but I didn't see a Coalition alternative. Secondly, instead of fearing migrants coming to Sydney, as Bob Carr seems to do, how about being glad that migrants want to come to Sydney and continue to make this a vibrant city.

How about investing in infrastructure that would enable Sydney to cope with an increased population and become an even more global city. Then our young professionals might have opportunities here. Do we want to become a global version of some existing regional areas where the population is either very young or retired, while adults in the prime of their careers are somewhere else?

Instead of hoping that one day these people, in whose education Australia has invested heavily, might want to come back to Australia, let's make sure that they do.

Do not let the prospect of returning to earn the lower valued Aussie dollar and the more limited employment opportunities be too daunting for them.
Kay Kan
Cheltenham, NSW

THE link between the number of skilled Australian professionals working overseas and the economic difficulties experienced by the "working rich" (7/12) should be clear to anyone reading the articles.

Engineers, IT professionals, academics, and doctors can all be classed as "working rich", and their move to the US and Europe is economic migration – an attempt to achieve better salaries and standard of living in countries that value their skills more. The fact that skilled emigration outflows are matched by inflows illustrates that just as many skilled professionals from poorer counties, such as India, China, and New Zealand, are willing to emigrate to Australia to improve their standard of living.

Examine the engineering departments of universities across Australia, and you will find that most academics are immigrants, and most PhD students move overseas after graduation. Australia could achieve a net inflow by paying skilled professionals more, reducing tax in the $60,000 to $100,000 range, or both. Will either of these happen? Probably not, and the most likely scenario is that Australia will remain entrenched in the middle of the skilled emigration food chain.
Michael Eckert
Ashfield, NSW

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 9th 2002 at 2:23 am.
Old Dec 9th 2002, 4:50 am
sydneyrose

Default Re: The Australian Working Rich?

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Well sod me I must be one of these or maybe not I thought I was the working poor.? The second letter forgot to add the UK to his list of immigrants from poorer countries I think?

"The fact that skilled emigration outflows are matched by inflows illustrates that just as many skilled professionals from poorer counties, such as India, China, and New Zealand, are willing to emigrate to Australia to improve their standard of living. "

Bogged in the emigration food chain

I READ with interest your two stories (Inquirer, The Nation 7-8/12) about one million of our population being overseas. Of course as a percentage of our professionals, it would be much higher.

Firstly, how about some vision and leadership in this country to develop our skills and research base to provide opportunities at home. I recall that the ALP's poorly presented knowledge nation was ridiculed but I didn't see a Coalition alternative. Secondly, instead of fearing migrants coming to Sydney, as Bob Carr seems to do, how about being glad that migrants want to come to Sydney and continue to make this a vibrant city.

How about investing in infrastructure that would enable Sydney to cope with an increased population and become an even more global city. Then our young professionals might have opportunities here. Do we want to become a global version of some existing regional areas where the population is either very young or retired, while adults in the prime of their careers are somewhere else?

Instead of hoping that one day these people, in whose education Australia has invested heavily, might want to come back to Australia, let's make sure that they do.

Do not let the prospect of returning to earn the lower valued Aussie dollar and the more limited employment opportunities be too daunting for them.
Kay Kan
Cheltenham, NSW

THE link between the number of skilled Australian professionals working overseas and the economic difficulties experienced by the "working rich" (7/12) should be clear to anyone reading the articles.

Engineers, IT professionals, academics, and doctors can all be classed as "working rich", and their move to the US and Europe is economic migration – an attempt to achieve better salaries and standard of living in countries that value their skills more. The fact that skilled emigration outflows are matched by inflows illustrates that just as many skilled professionals from poorer counties, such as India, China, and New Zealand, are willing to emigrate to Australia to improve their standard of living.

Examine the engineering departments of universities across Australia, and you will find that most academics are immigrants, and most PhD students move overseas after graduation. Australia could achieve a net inflow by paying skilled professionals more, reducing tax in the $60,000 to $100,000 range, or both. Will either of these happen? Probably not, and the most likely scenario is that Australia will remain entrenched in the middle of the skilled emigration food chain.
Michael Eckert
Ashfield, NSW
tis is the transfer from the life is good thread

british immigration has been the mainstay of immigration to oz and most british immigrants have taken the migration in their stride
it has been marred however by an endemic minority of belligerent disruptive, often racist and bigotted british migrants who have given the majority a bad name and who were often despised by non british migrants who came to oz to escape this sort of bigotry in their homelands.

my concern about this forum is that there are posters who clearly do not understand that oz is a broad church, and that they will have to comply with the standards of a large migrant community
the picture portrayed, to be blunt, is that people are unhappy with societal changes in the uk, and oz is getting the racists, the bigots and the segregationists
correct me if I am wrong
my current mood is that there should be a moratorium on british immigration until we clear up this matter.

if you want a recipe for tripe a la nicoise, I will post it pb. I never eat this stuff

Old Dec 9th 2002, 4:55 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sydneyrose
tis is the transfer from the life is good thread

my concern about this forum is that there are posters who clearly do not understand that oz is a broad church, and that they will have to comply with the standards of a large migrant community
the picture portrayed, to be blunt, is that people are unhappy with societal changes in the uk, and oz is getting the racists, the bigots and the segregationists
correct me if I am wrong
my current mood is that there should be a moratorium on british immigration until we clear up this matter.

if you want a recipe for tripe a la nicoise, I will post it pb. I never eat this stuff
Rose as always very interesting so we Brits are at fault yet again , just when will the Abbos become excepted as full Australians and not outcasts.Thanks for offer of tripe recipe most welcome.
Old Dec 9th 2002, 5:05 am
sydneyrose

Rose as always very interesting so we Brits are at fault yet again , just when will the Abbos become excepted as full Australians and not outcasts.Thanks for offer of tripe recipe most welcome.

i have never tried to hide our historical mistreatment of aborigines, PB
and as you know I have a personal interest through a family member
it seems to me you are wilfully clouding the issue. I am not typecasting britons. migrants in a big migrant society like oz have to cooperate - with other migrants as well as old timers.
if some british migrants have incompatible beliefs and values to this then they need to reevaluate their reasons for migration
SOME british migrants not MAJORITY
my view of british migration is overall positive. I think most australians would hold the same view.

Old Dec 9th 2002, 5:13 am
Banned

i have never tried to hide our historical mistreatment of aborigines, PB
and as you know I have a personal interest through a family member
it seems to me you are wilfully clouding the issue. I am not typecasting britons. migrants in a big migrant society like oz have to cooperate - with other migrants as well as old timers.
if some british migrants have incompatible beliefs and values to this then they need to reevaluate their reasons for migration
SOME british migrants not MAJORITY
my view of british migration is overall positive. I think most australians would hold the same view.
I think you are a very well educated charming lady who puts over some very interesting points of view , well worth reading I wish I had more time to put together better replies but work gets in the way.Best Wishes PB

Old Dec 9th 2002, 5:19 am
sydneyrose

I think you are a very well educated charming lady who puts over some very interesting points of view , well worth reading I wish I had more time to put together better replies but work gets in the way.Best Wishes PB

I am not charming, as you well know
but will leave you to work

I hope you are not into too many subversive activities
attending nights of the poms
and waving foreign flags

ASIO might bug your golf buggy

Old Dec 9th 2002, 5:45 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I am not charming, as you well know
but will leave you to work

I hope you are not into too many subversive activities
attending nights of the poms
and waving foreign flags

ASIO might bug your golf buggy
Are you refering to the "Last night of the proms" in Perth.

Jesus, it makes my teeth itch seeing it on at the Albert Hall, what the hell is going on having something similar in Perth?

I'd rather have a root canal filling without anaesthetic than go to that.

"Land of hope and glory" don't make me laugh
Old Dec 9th 2002, 11:04 pm
Banned

Originally posted by renth
Are you refering to the "Last night of the proms" in Perth.

Jesus, it makes my teeth itch seeing it on at the Albert Hall, what the hell is going on having something similar in Perth?

I'd rather have a root canal filling without anaesthetic than go to that.

"Land of hope and glory" don't make me laugh

We true born Brits are a proud race and even aboard wave the flag in big numbers the Last Night of the Proms in Perth is sold out months before .
You I take it you are stateless because if you have no country of birth thats makes you a none person , if you think by moving to Australia it makes you an Aussie forget it.
The World Cup bought out more England fans than any other nation here most pubs where packed out with true Brits ,even small children who were born here choose to wear England shirts and a god forbid Man Utd ones , it still the case that good Queen Betty rules over this country and without Great Britian they would be no Australia .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 9th 2002 at 11:12 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2002, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

michael29 is an unknown quantity at this point

We true born Brits are a proud race and even aboard wave the flag in big numbers the Last Night of the Proms in Perth is sold out months before .
You I take it you are stateless because if you have no country of birth thats makes you a none person , if you think by moving to Australia it makes you an Aussie forget it.
The World Cup bought out more England fans than any other nation here most pubs where packed out with true Brits ,even small children who were born here choose to wear England shirts and a god forbid Man Utd ones , it still the case that good Queen Betty rules over this country and without Great Britian they would be no Australia .
Your good at talking crap all your life PB,sorry but queen betty has three things to do with Australia the first ones nothing and i'll leave the other two for guess work.The so called queen does absolutely nothing for this country and pretty much nothing for the UK except for a mild tourist attraction.The monarchys a bigger joke than the crap they always end up in.
Old Dec 11th 2002, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE][SIZE=1][i].

correct me if I am wrong

Hi,In the uk papers this morning Jack straw has reavealed that in may2004 they will grant full working rights to the ten countries about to join the eu.He also denies that there will be an influx of migrants.The government have the right to pospone this for seven years but have decided to open the gates before other eu members.Let`s get this straight first`I`M NOT RACIST.Anybody in the uk at the moment who voices any sort of descent on these issues is automatically considered rasist.A recent poll showed 75% of britons worried about the loss of control of immigration and our borders.We live in a very overly populated south east and our concerns about space,quality of living etc are the reasons along with security why we want to move to oz(adelaide)We along with most people who are migrating have lived all our lives in a multicultural society in the uk without problems with race ,therefor Icant see this being a problem for most british migrants.Australia has a managed migration policy which seems to work although like the uk they talk of growth in numbers where we should be looking at maintaining population numbers to continue our quality of life.If people from the uk mention the illegal immigrants etc it`s because of the overcrowding,lack of facility arguement rather than racism.South australia is about 4 times the size of the uk (not to mention how many times larger than the south east)with only 1.5 million population.We already have numbers in the south east of asylum seekers,etc which must ,although not officially admitted,getting close to that number nobody knows.A school in the midlands also has been reported today bottom of performance tables because of 22 languages being spoken and a small minority having english as a first language.To escape things like this families want to migrate but again this does not make them racist they are looking for a better quality of life in a place they believe will be protected from over population. jockney
Old Dec 12th 2002, 3:23 am
Banned

Originally posted by michael29
Your good at talking crap all your life PB,sorry but queen betty has three things to do with Australia the first ones nothing and i'll leave the other two for guess work.The so called queen does absolutely nothing for this country and pretty much nothing for the UK except for a mild tourist attraction.The monarchys a bigger joke than the crap they always end up in.
You Sir have no idea about the democracy in which you live ,the Queens forces protect you and her goverment sets the laws and collects the Taxes in the UK and Australia.
Australians voted to keep good Queen Betty so they must trust her more than anyone born here?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Dec 12th 2002 at 3:26 am.
Old Dec 12th 2002, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

michael29 is an unknown quantity at this point

You Sir have no idea about the democracy in which you live ,the Queens forces protect you and her goverment sets the laws and collects the Taxes in the UK and Australia.
Australians voted to keep good Queen Betty so they must trust her more than anyone born here?

Sorry pb but Australia is protected by the Australian Armed Forces "read the coat of arms".As for the referendom Australians voted on republic issues not on wether they like the queen.Anyhow the vote had no bearing what so ever on the everyday person because Australia is already independant and no doubt its not a question of if but more like when it will be republic.I told you before to stop smoking that stuff it has a wearing effect on your brain,the days of handing taxes to the queen are over you old fool.
Old Dec 13th 2002, 12:58 am
Banned

Originally posted by michael29
Sorry pb but Australia is protected by the Australian Armed Forces "read the coat of arms".As for the referendom Australians voted on republic issues not on wether they like the queen.Anyhow the vote had no bearing what so ever on the everyday person because Australia is already independant and no doubt its not a question of if but more like when it will be republic.I told you before to stop smoking that stuff it has a wearing effect on your brain,the days of handing taxes to the queen are over you old fool.
You still are in the dark the head of state wears a crown , the armed forces swear an oath to the Queen all taxes are collected by HM Tax office, all public land is crown land also Australia is not a republic , has that sunk in?
Australia is independant but how ever way you want to put it The Queen remains head of State , she draws far bigger crowds when on tour than little Johnny or any other Australian .
The fact that Australians voted to keep her says everything , it must be a case of no Australian is fit to be head of state?

Old Dec 13th 2002, 1:55 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Although not a royalist myself, far from it! I wish someone would get rid of her and her no good scrounging family ( I'm being traitorous.! but I don't recognise her as my queen either, or that idiot of a son., who calls himself prince of Wales).

I have to agree that Australia would have become a republic if the voting system was fair in Aus. People voted to stay with the queen, because the choice of a head of state was to be chosen by the politicians and not the general public. People do not trust politicians.. the voting was unfair, so they stayed with "better the devil you know", not because they are royalists. Pity we couldn't have the vote in Britain whether to keep her. How "we" can call ourselves in Britain democratic I never know.. have we had a choice whether we want the Queen. Has Wales ever had a choice whether we wanted an English royal puppet of a family... I think not.. democracy, what a joke!

I've actually never met an Australian person who's a Royalist, I know they're out there somewhere, but I haven't met one.
I'm all for a Republic, whether it's Australia, Wales, Scotland etc.. at least Australia was given a vote about a republic, even if the voting system was unfair.. which is more than what I and my countrymen have had. Britain can never call herself democratic until we are given a vote on the monarchy.

Anyway PB is right about one thing, It is the ROYAL Australian army and they do swear an oath to the Queen.

Why do you think the Aussies went to the Falklands? they sent a ship over.. not much choice in the matter.

Britain protects this country, (so does America by agreement). And truth be known, there's absolutely no way Australia could solely defend herself if invaded, they have not got the manpower, or equipment.

cheers
Old Dec 13th 2002, 3:04 am
Banned

Originally posted by Ceri

I've actually never met an Australian person who's a Royalist, I know they're out there somewhere, but I haven't met one.
I'm all for a Republic, whether it's Australia, Wales, Scotland etc.. at least Australia was given a vote about a republic, even if the voting system was unfair.. which is more than what I and my countrymen have had. Britain can never call herself democratic until we are given a vote on the monarchy.

Anyway PB is right about one thing, It is the ROYAL Australian army and they do swear an oath to the Queen.

Why do you think the Aussies went to the Falklands? they sent a ship over.. not much choice in the matter.

Britain protects this country, (so does America by agreement). And truth be known, there's absolutely no way Australia could solely defend herself if invaded, they have not got the manpower, or equipment.

cheers

Well being dragged up by rabid Tories I tend to be left wing ,but having seen how Republics work I think a Constitutional Monarchy does a far better job.
Never met a pollie yet who looked after anyone bar themself , the Queen is there in order to prevent dictators taking over she is a safe guard worth keeping .
We my Welsh lovely will agree to disagree on this ,but there are groups in Australia that are pro Monarchy god bless them.

Australia
The Monarchist League of Australia
Australians for Constitutional Monarchy
Queenslanders for Constitutional Monarchy
The Australian National Flag Association
The Australian Republic Unpluged
For the Sovereignty of the People
Australia : A Sovereign Commonwealth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.