Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Working Hours

Australian Working Hours

Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough
Default Australian Working Hours

Currently working as a site engineer on a building site in Scotland and the hours are approx. 8am till 5.30pm. Hoping to be making the move within the next 2 years and looking for some info. regarding what the normal working hours are.

Any answers would be much appreciated
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

KingKenny7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Working Hours

Hi,

The working hours that I do and my mates do are the same as the UK . I work 8:30am to 5pm in an office. My mate who's a brickie works 7am till 4pm. Although he will finish the odd days early like hairey arsed brickie do !
Hope that helps
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Cheers for that KK. I thought that that would be the case for office based staff.

I'm kinda hoping with the better weather / high temperatures that the hours on site are somewhat shorter than here!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:48 pm
ANNE&JAY

ANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud ofANNE&JAY has much to be proud of

Hi,

My hubby is an electrician and normal working hours are from 7am until 4pm monday to friday. He is asked most weeks to do overtime where he usually starts an hour earlier and finish a hour later.

Anne
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
Currently working as a site engineer on a building site in Scotland and the hours are approx. 8am till 5.30pm. Hoping to be making the move within the next 2 years and looking for some info. regarding what the normal working hours are.

Any answers would be much appreciated

Latest project, offcially are 7 - 4 but anyone above chippie status turns up at 6.30 and nobody leaves till after 4.30. Usually on a job you get one work break of about 20/30 minutes, that started a few years back and seemed to stick. But so far on this one nobody is taking any breaks its cup of tea at the desk while you work.

Dont believe the laid back crap its years out of date.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

My hubby is a chippy and before we came I think we both bought into the idea that he would start early and be finished by lunch time! Well that fantasy is over!

Most weeks he works six day's and on an un-occupied site he has gone in on a Sunday!

He leaves the house as early as 5.30 sometimes and often doesn't get in til 6/6.30.

Some times he can hardly stay awake to eat his tea!

Makes us a little touchy when people tell us how well off and rich we are and how traddies rip everyone off and are lazy.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but you did ask.

Good Luck

T
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:33 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

OH is a chippy not on building sites working in a boat yard, 7am to 4.30pm .. 3pm on Fridays morning and afternoon tea breaks and half hour lunch, very laid back place

Last edited by Possums; Jul 24th 2008 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Don't much like the sound of that Ozzy!!!

I used to have to leave the house at 5.30 and never got back till 7.30 at night. I quit that when my daughter was born and went freelance by starting my own company. The tax breaks are far better this way as well!!!

Does anone know if that option is available over there? It's a bit risky to start off with right away I suppose but once I'm settled I'd much rather go down that route again.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a myth that aussies dont work much, in truth they work pretty much the same as UK hours.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Believe it or not I'm a teacher who works from 7 until 5 each day of the week. Working these hours means that I don't need to work too often over holiday periods. Between 7 and 5pm I very rarely get a break of more than 5 minutes. Breaks and lunch times are always taken up by chasing kids for matches, duties or dealing with poor behaviour. I also have staff to deal with. Don't feel sorry for me though because I actually enjoy the challenge. We have had some Aussies working temporary of late and they say that they have never needed or been expected to work as hard in Aus - start at 7 - 7.30 and finish at 3 and have more breaks and more planning time. Just an alternative contribution but I have no experience of it yet!!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Believe it or not I'm a teacher who works from 7 until 5 each day of the week. Working these hours means that I don't need to work too often over holiday periods. Between 7 and 5pm I very rarely get a break of more than 5 minutes. Breaks and lunch times are always taken up by chasing kids for matches, duties or dealing with poor behaviour. I also have staff to deal with. Don't feel sorry for me though because I actually enjoy the challenge. We have had some Aussies working temporary of late and they say that they have never needed or been expected to work as hard in Aus - start at 7 - 7.30 and finish at 3 and have more breaks and more planning time. Just an alternative contribution but I have no experience of it yet!!

My brother a UK teacher is here at the moment, will be back teaching in september. He cannot believe the primary school, took him down to pick youngest up most days day this week, most teachers out the carpark at 2.35 with the kids, he also couldnt believe what was considered professional work wear grubby shorts and shirts, unshaven men, ponytails and tatts on display, teachers smoking in carpark. This is a state school, we have been in private and it was very different, longer hours, uniforms on teachers etc.

Must add tho, state education looks due for a bit of an overhaul, after majority of qld kids didnt meet expected standards in the year 7 tests. But yes would agree with what the aussie teachers in the UK have told you, our sons got an overseas exchange teacher at the mo, he cant belive how 'relaxed' it all is.

However I would not apply these working hours to much else, aussie papers constantly report aussies work the longest hours in OECD countries.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
Don't much like the sound of that Ozzy!!!

I used to have to leave the house at 5.30 and never got back till 7.30 at night. I quit that when my daughter was born and went freelance by starting my own company. The tax breaks are far better this way as well!!!

Does anone know if that option is available over there? It's a bit risky to start off with right away I suppose but once I'm settled I'd much rather go down that route again.
Hi,

Hubby is a sub-contractor self employed chippy - as are most on domestic housing sites that he has worked on. Some are in gangs - especially for the framing etc. The only workers taken on salary would be supervisors and possibly maintenance carpenters but then that would be allot less per hour. On the whole the only option for us was that he got his contractors license asap. So basically if your a tradie self employed sub contactor is largely all thats on offer. Along with that you become your own project manager and have to keep the work ongoing - which can feel hairy - no work no pay etc.

Have to say he still wouldn't go back to blighty, so that says something
Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:02 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Working as a fitter.

6am - 2.30pm: Mon - Thurs

6am - 12pm: Fri

Can't complain.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 7:21 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I work 8-5pm with an hour for lunch.

Our company do not pay overtime and if we have a big project on (not that often), we might have to work a weekend - I am working tomorrow.

The time is taken back in lieu, for instance I shall take (if my boss agrees), next Thu/Fri afternoon off to spend it with Mr PP. I would rather take two half days as I am protective over my workload and hate coming back to any sort of mess.

Our company is flexible and if I come in early (most days as Im an early bird), I can leave early or take a longer lunch break if I need to.

They have a casual and flexible approach in our office but it has to work both ways and you are expected to go the extra mile if need be.

Im just taking it easy today as it is going to be a tough week next week with probably a late night on Monday but its all give and take really.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:44 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ANNE&JAY
Hi,

My hubby is an electrician and normal working hours are from 7am until 4pm monday to friday. He is asked most weeks to do overtime where he usually starts an hour earlier and finish a hour later.

Anne
im a spark and its 7 till 3 mon to thurs and 7 till 1 on a friday. get paid 38 hrs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.