British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australian working holiday visa question? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australian-working-holiday-visa-question-109578/)

chrisbridge Jul 18th 2002 9:15 am

Australian working holiday visa question?

Hi.

I'm hoping to head over to Australia to work (in IT) for 2 years or so...maybe more if I like it.

Basically I thought that my best approach would be to go for a family sponsored migration visa (am just about to submit my skills assessment). The reason for this was that I thought it would give me the flexibility to head over and apply for any job rather than having to find a role, from here in the UK, with a company who would be prepared to give me business sponsorship.

As a 'fall back' I contacted a company called Lester Associates, that some of you may know. They have told me that, having seen my CV, they would be prepared to provide me with business sponsorship if I could get my self an initial 3 month IT contract. Does anyone know if I could get such a contract off the back of a working holiday visa (i.e. are there restrictions on the type of work you can do on this visa?)?

If I can do this has anyone got any views on whether this might be a better approach to the migration visa application - It's obviously less hassle as far as form filling goes. My concern is that I've never worked through an agency before, and I don't know what these guys are like....

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

George Lombard Jul 18th 2002 9:20 pm

Re: Australian working holiday visa question?

Hi Chris,

There are a lot more outsourcing companies than Lesters. Try www.freespirit.com.au
for just one other example, and I am sure if you ask for others on this ng you will
receive the names of dozens.

Basically all of these companies are pre qualified business sponsors, and they all
work the same way. You come up with the employer, and they give you the visa. In most
cases the employer and you would be better off with a direct sponsor relationship,
but there is the convenience factor.

Best to come on your working holiday visa and accept sponsorship if necessary.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au chrisbridge wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
    >Hi.
    >
    >I'm hoping to head over to Australia to work (in IT) for 2 years or so...maybe more
    >if I like it.
    >
    >Basically I thought that my best approach would be to go for a family sponsored
    >migration visa (am just about to submit my skills assessment). The reason for this
    >was that I thought it would give me the flexibility to head over and apply for any
    >job rather than having to find a role, from here in the UK, with a company who would
    >be prepared to give me business sponsorship.
    >
    >As a 'fall back' I contacted a company called Lester Associates, that some of you
    >may know. They have told me that, having seen my CV, they would be prepared to
    >provide me with business sponsorship if I could get my self an initial 3 month IT
    >contract. Does anyone know if I could get such a contract off the back of a
    >working holiday visa (i.e. are there restrictions on the type of work you can do
    >on this visa?)?
    >
    >If I can do this has anyone got any views on whether this might be a better approach
    >to the migration visa application - It's obviously less hassle as far as form
    >filling goes. My concern is that I've never worked through an agency before, and I
    >don't know what these guys are like....
    >
    >Any thoughts much appreciated.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Chris
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Graham Jul 20th 2002 10:20 am

Re: Australian working holiday visa question?

chrisbridge <[email protected]> wrote:

> My concern is that I've never worked through an agency before, and I don't know
    > what these guys are like....

I don't know what the Aussie version of Lesters is like but I've used the London
branch for the last six years. Found them to be pretty efficient.

Cheers Graham
--
Even Sainsburys have refused to give Steve Bruce a loyalty card.

mail at mistfall dot com