Reload this Page >

Australian work and Medicard Number help

Australian work and Medicard Number help

Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

daryllee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian work and Medicard Number help

Hi everyone

Hope someone can steer me right, I am an Australian living in London and wanting to come back to live shortly to Australia. I have been away a very long time and want to know if someone can give the me the contact to get a work number (not sure what it's called there -here it's called a 'national insurance number')....I would have had a number at somepoint in my past but that was pre-computer age.

Also I think I'm supposed to have a Medicard number to get work there....is there a contact that someone can give to apply for one.

Anything else that I am missing I would appreciate the advice.

many thanks: Daryl
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australian work and Medicard Number help

Sorry can't help on the contacts but try searching TFN or Tax File Number on Google to find a contact for getting your Aussie NI number.

With regards to Medicare I've never been asked for my number to get a job only as proof of ID to get me up to the 100 points for bank applications. Once you get back head into a local medicare office (I guess with your Ausie passport and possibly proof you have been away but are now back to live) and they should be able to help.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Australian work and Medicard Number help

Originally Posted by daryllee
want to know if someone can give the me the contact to get a work number (not sure what it's called there -here it's called a 'national insurance number')....I would have had a number at somepoint in my past but that was pre-computer age.
Do you mean a Tax File Number (TFN)? You'll need the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for that. Just get in touch with them; they should still have your original number on file.

You don't need a Medicare number to work, and you would have had one when you left Australia anyway. What did you do with your original Medicare card? I held onto mine like grim death during my years in the UK, and exchanged it for a new one when I returned home. Took me about 10 minutes, if that.

Just walk into your local Medicare office and ask them to guide you through the process. You'll never need to quote the number, but you can use the card as a form of ID, which is very helpful (I think it counts as 25 points).

Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You don't need a Medicare number to work, and you would have had one when you left Australia anyway. What did you do with your original Medicare card?
Medicare cards didn't exist before 1983.

If the OP left for the UK before then, he would never have had one.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:35 am
ABCDiamond

If you had worked in Australia before, you would have had a Tax file Number, and that number stays with you for life.
The ATO can give you your original number again.

If you cannot find your TFN or would like to update your details, phone 13 28 61 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.
http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content/4716.htm

Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:06 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Medicare cards didn't exist before 1983.

If the OP left for the UK before then, he would never have had one.
Crikey, I didn't think he'd been away that long.

In that case, all he needs to do is rock up to the local Medicare office and prove he's an Australian citizen.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

daryllee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone...I left for old blighty in 1979 to check out the music scene and never came back. So never had a medicard (thanks all for the advice/help).

Daryl
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:18 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daryllee
Thanks everyone...I left for old blighty in 1979 to check out the music scene and never came back. So never had a medicard (thanks all for the advice/help).

Daryl
Dont worry not much has changed...
kidding... on a more serious note would be very interesting to get your view on things when you return. Changes for the better/worse etc.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
In that case, all he needs to do is rock up to the local Medicare office and prove he's an Australian citizen.
He also will have to prove that he has moved to Australia and is not just visiting.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:59 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by JAJ
He also will have to prove that he has moved to Australia and is not just visiting.
Ah yes, I had to do that too. A letter from Centrelink, a letter from our electricity provider and our house/contents insurance policy was more than enough for the job.

Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
My wife and I just did a stat dec right there in the Medicare office - they had a JP on hand to witness it. Easy Peasy.

The OP won't have a TFN - they only came into existence in the late 80's I think. Shouldn't take too long to get one.

The hardest thing to get in the short term is proof of address - you need it for lots of things.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by James516
My wife and I just did a stat dec right there in the Medicare office - they had a JP on hand to witness it. Easy Peasy.

The OP won't have a TFN - they only came into existence in the late 80's I think. Shouldn't take too long to get one.

The hardest thing to get in the short term is proof of address - you need it for lots of things.
Actually the first TFN's were issued in the 1930's, but they did something to update the system in 1988

I've been trying to recall if I had a TFN in 1986 or not...