Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Work Experience ??

Australian Work Experience ??

Old May 12th 2010, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

SethMonster is on a distinguished road
Question Australian Work Experience ??

Now I've been in Perth for almost 3 weeks now. Loving the beaches. No bad things about the city.

I'm an Accountant with exp. from London and Mumbai, and I've been getting this from recruitment agents that unless I have Australian work exp. I do not have much chance of getting a job here.

1. Is this really true ?
2. If it is, how have people overcome this obstacle ?

Also, I've come here keeping in mind that I may have to change cities to find the one suited to me. What in your opinion seems to be the best city for a career in Accounting/Finance, and for someone who is 26 and single ??

Thanks for the help !!

Seth
Old May 12th 2010, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Work Experience ??

I am sure there are roles for accountants in all the major cities in Australia and surely in Perth. I think which city is best would depend upon the sector, I for example have always been an accountant in financial services so it makes sense for me to be in Sydney.

I am not in Australia yet, but I have made some enquiries and nobody has told me that it would be very hard to get a role without Australia experience, however I qualified 16 years ago and have a background in large multinationals which probably is helping me.

You are quite young and so must be recently qualified and not have that much experience in general never mind in Australia, it is probably that that is making things a little bit more difficult. But I don't think you should give up, if nobody could get a job in Australia without experience then all the independent skilled migrants would be unemployed! I recommend you particularly highlight your London experience (employers seem to like mine), pursue the junior roles and hopefully your persistence will pay off in the end.

Good luck.
Old May 12th 2010, 8:46 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SethMonster
Now I've been in Perth for almost 3 weeks now. Loving the beaches. No bad things about the city.

I'm an Accountant with exp. from London and Mumbai, and I've been getting this from recruitment agents that unless I have Australian work exp. I do not have much chance of getting a job here.

1. Is this really true ?
2. If it is, how have people overcome this obstacle ?

Also, I've come here keeping in mind that I may have to change cities to find the one suited to me. What in your opinion seems to be the best city for a career in Accounting/Finance, and for someone who is 26 and single ??

Thanks for the help !!

Seth
If that's what the recruiters have been telling you it means that they don't think they could get a placement fee from placing you, which in turn probably means that you are light on experience.

You would have better chances if you picked up the phone and approached firms yourself instead of sitting on the beach.
Old May 12th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

SethMonster is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I'll do just that. ......time to open the yellow pages.

I have only recently qualified so I guess I'll have to try a direct approach as compared to going through recruitment agents.