Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian weather

Australian weather

Old Jan 9th 2003, 12:59 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian weather

For those who seem to think of nothing else which seems to be most on this forum.

AUSTRALIA proved itself to be a nation of meteorological extremes yesterday as temperatures soared, dust storms swirled, lightning struck and fires raged in different areas of the country.

In western NSW, a spectacular dust storm swirled from Louth, south of Bourke, to Wilcannia, coating everything in its path in fine dust and reducing visibility to 200m at times.

In Victoria, lightning across the northeastern alpine region was blamed for sparking more than 50 bushfires in national parkland. The fires were concentrated in steep and inaccessible bushland around Mount Buffalo and Bright.

Firefighters were also battling three blazes in Holey Plains National Park near Sale in East Gippsland.

At Sydney's Taronga Zoo, keepers had their hoses at the ready, cooling the animals down as temperatures reached 39C in some parts of the city before a severe storm swept in, bringing with it heavy rain, hail, lighting and winds gusting to 50 knots.

Up to 7000 homes in Sydney were left without electricity as the violent storm tore down power lines in the northern and southern suburbs.

The storms were a mixed blessing for the NSW Rural Fire Service, which battled to put out more than 20 blazes in the Blue Mountains and Kosciuszko national parks, with the majority of the fires started by lightning and then fanned by high winds.

On Queensland's Gold Coast, where temperatures reached 30C, people headed to the beaches for a cool respite.

Ian Anderson, from the National Meteorological Centre, said the high temperatures were not unseasonal, but Australia could expect hot and cold bursts to continue for the next two months.

"When the cold front comes over, it swings round and off the sea which brings cooler temperatures," Mr Anderson said. "But after about three days the front will swing off the land, which will then bring in the hotter temperatures."

Perth reached 35C yesterday. Exmouth, in Western Australia's far north, soared to 45C. Darwin reached 33C, Brisbane was 29C, Canberra got to 34C, but Adelaide (23C), Melbourne (21C) and Hobart (19C) escaped the real swelter.

At the other end of the scale, Borroloola, southeast of Darwin, was drenched by a monsoonal downpour, receiving 164mm of rain in the 24 hours to 9am yesterday.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

You can come and help me build a snowman if you want
Old Jan 9th 2003, 1:45 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rossi
You can come and help me build a snowman if you want

Why not ever heard of the Snowy Mountains in Australia, come to Victoria in winter should be well in with your skills good for skiing there too.

Old Jan 9th 2003, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

That's where I'm hoping to go ... Frankston to start with as that's where the in laws are
I'm only worried about the beer, thinking of importing a few kegs with me as I've heard the ales not up to much
Old Jan 9th 2003, 2:01 am
Banned

Originally posted by Rossi
That's where I'm hoping to go ... Frankston to start with as that's where the in laws are
I'm only worried about the beer, thinking of importing a few kegs with me as I've heard the ales not up to much
VB will rot your liver but most Aussie pubs stock Brit Beers now but they are pricy saying that the local stuffs not cheap , good luck with your outlaws.

Old Jan 9th 2003, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Beware the 'Ides of March'...

This story happened about a month ago, in a little town in Victoria, and even though it sounds like an Alfred Hitchcock tale it's real. This guy was on the side of the road near Terang, hitch hiking, on a very dark night and in the middle of a storm.

The night was black and no cars went by. The storm was so strong, he could hardly see a few feet ahead of him.

Suddenly he saw a car coming towards him. It stopped. The guy, without thinking about it, got in the car, closed the door and and then realized there was nobody behind the wheel.

The car started slowly. The guy looks at the road and sees a curve coming his way. Scared he starts to pray begging for his life. He hasn't come out of shock, when just before he hits the curve, a hand appears thru the window and moves the wheel.

The guy, paralyzed in terror, watches how the hand appears everytime they get to a curve.

The guy, gathering strength, gets out of the car and runs to the nearest town.

Wet and in shock, he goes to a pub and asks for two shots of whiskey, and starts telling everybody about the horrible experience he just went thru.

A silence enveloped everybody when they realized the guy is crying and isn't drunk.

About half an hour later, two blokes walked in the same pub and one said to the other.

"Look Bill, there's the w**ker that got in the car when we were pushing it!!!

[Had to leave the swearword in cos it's part of the story].
Old Jan 9th 2003, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
VB will rot your liver but most Aussie pubs stock Brit Beers now but they are pricy saying that the local stuffs not cheap , good luck with your outlaws.

Must admit that VBis the only beer I have ever had that gives me a realy bad hangover whilst drinking the first pot... I wonder what they put in it that dont agree with me...
Old Jan 9th 2003, 11:55 pm
2thick

Default Re: Australian weather

For those who seem to think of nothing else which seems to be most on this forum.

Get a life - what's your excuse over 950 posts? All done in your employer's time I suppose. Way past my bedtime for your self-indulgent cr*p

Tomorrow doubtlessly will be the same on the posting front currently sitting at the same barometric pressure over PB

2thick

Old Jan 10th 2003, 12:32 am
Banned

Originally posted by 2thick
Get a life - what's your excuse over 950 posts? All done in your employer's time I suppose. Way past my bedtime for your self-indulgent cr*p

Tomorrow doubtlessly will be the same on the posting front currently sitting at the same barometric pressure over PB

2thick
Do you think I would waste my own time whats your excuse ? my employer is quite happy with my output but thats their problem work and internet do not mix.
Whats wrong with self indulgent crap thats what this forum is all about most seem to use if for just that , if you do not like it do not bother to reply .

Old Jan 10th 2003, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheer up PB, he's merely doing a wind-up job on you. As for me I here to at least try to help those who really need some help: also self-indulgently because frankly I find this forum a lot more amusing than the West Australian (Whilst waiting to go to work in 30 mins or so)

au revoir

DPR
Old Jan 10th 2003, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by 2thick

2thick
actually being two thick will help u in australia-as the national IQ average is about two-a very intelectual society-u will do well
Old Jan 10th 2003, 9:11 am
2thick

Originally posted by Twofingersalute
actually being two thick will help u in australia-as the national IQ average is about two-a very intelectual society-u will do well
Jeez what with your inability to differentiate between "too" and "two" and your great spelling you must fit in like a pea in a pod - see ya soon

2thick

Old Jan 10th 2003, 10:21 am
Just Joined

michael29 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Twofingersalute
actually being two thick will help u in australia-as the national IQ average is about two-a very intelectual society-u will do well [/QUOTE
Well your statement pretty much sums you up really,you should learn some grammer and some spelling before labelling others unintelligent.
Old Jan 11th 2003, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

"At Sydney's Taronga Zoo, keepers had their hoses at the ready, cooling the animals down as temperatures reached 39C in some parts of the city before a severe storm swept in, bringing with it heavy rain, hail, lighting and winds gusting to 50 knots.

Up to 7000 homes in Sydney were left without electricity as the violent storm tore down power lines in the northern and southern suburbs."

When did this happen? We live near Sydney and its news to me. Yes we have had some hot days and have had some downpours which everyone welcomed (20mm in one hour in Sydney one day) but nothing major or am I in the wrong country. 39c, we've had 45c here a couple of times (hills district always seems to be about 5c hotter than Sydney) but its bearable and you know by night time it cools off and the next day it can drop to 25c. Hosing off animals in this heat I would think would be the norm, we used to run a dog boarding kennels back in England and I remember hosing everything down to cool the dogs off, standard stuff really so wouldn't worry about it. Yes it gets windy here too but so does every country doesn't it? Anyway, weather men can't seem to get it right here but we are enjoying the weather and haven't had a day when we have complained about it. We were a bit dissapointed when it rained on and off on boxing day though as we had bought the kids fishing rods for christmas and we were all set to go fishing, still we went the day after anyway and had a fabulous time.
Old Jan 11th 2003, 9:43 am
2thick

Do you think I would waste my own time whats your excuse ? my employer is quite happy with my output but thats their problem work and internet do not mix.
Whats wrong with self indulgent crap thats what this forum is all about most seem to use if for just that , if you do not like it do not bother to reply .

Do you really think your employer is happy with your output. Sounds more like they got rid of the better people and kept the mediocre workers so they could pay them badly - quite likely from the sounds of your attitude and obvious deep loyalty and devotion to the enterprise - and you wonder why you get paid so badly.

My excuse - in your 'company' with your level of debate or excuse for rational discourse, I realise I am not actually the thickest after all. You make me feel quite bright - THANKS

cheers

2thick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.