Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian voting system

Australian voting system

Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian voting system

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Are you suggesting that the Oz Labor Party is slightly right of centre??? They seem as commie to me as any other Labour Party.

Just wondering.
No truly left of centre party could allow a Gina Rinehart to get obscenely rich off the back of national resources.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
There's a lot of professions that should be more like that sadly. And welcome back - it's been a while...

The issues of first past the post is certainly exaggerated by voter apathy, where you are essentially ending up with the candidate that the majority of the people who voted voted for.

PR is OK, but inevitably leads to lots of horrible splinter parties and consequently unstable governments. Have a look at Belgium as an example...

S
There are 2 mutually exclusive goals/aims in this debate.

1. Do we want a voting system that represents exactly how people vote?

or

2. Do we want a voting system that provides stable Government, by ignoring minor party representation?

PR brings instability due to massive minor party representation, but is more democratic.

First past the post allows candidates to win without majority support.

Preferential forces people to have a backup plan.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

StSabre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
What a great idea, gets my vote. I would also like to suggest politicians don't get paid to do the job. They do it for free for the love of the country.
What do you expect them to live on while they are running the country? How do you persuade businessmen/doctors/other professionals with the requisite skills to give up their current jobs to get involved?

Politicians in the UK were first paid so that it wasn't only the landed gentry with independent incomes that could be MPs.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:49 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StSabre
What do you expect them to live on while they are running the country? How do you persuade businessmen/doctors/other professionals with the requisite skills to give up their current jobs to get involved?

Politicians in the UK were first paid so that it wasn't only the landed gentry with independent incomes that could be MPs.
They should not get any financial advantage nor any possibility to make corrupt decisions, I just think not paying them is a start. OR they get just enough to live on. They certainly don't deserve the wages they currently get.

Preferably I'd prefer a system that doesn't have humans in the loop at all. leave it all to a computer.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

They should not get any financial advantage nor any possibility to make corrupt decisions, I just think not paying them is a start. OR they get just enough to live on. They certainly don't deserve the wages they currently get.

Preferably I'd prefer a system that doesn't have humans in the loop at all. leave it all to a computer.
Actually it's probably better that you do pay them v well, and then clamp down on the opportunities for corruption.

That means:
  • No donations to political parties, all election costs are centrally funded as well
  • No continuing distortions (eg no shares, etc.)
  • No post political career pay offs (similar to what is already required of civil servants).
and I'd add
  • No career politicians, no economists, no lawyers, no one who's a professional liar.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

What a great idea, gets my vote. I would also like to suggest politicians don't get paid to do the job. They do it for free for the love of the country.
See the post below - who beat me to it!

Originally Posted by StSabre

You certainly have to provide an income, but I agree with Arkon they get paid too well. Look at the pension they get!

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
The preferential voting system is fair fairer then the fascist first past the post system. That system is where you can be ruled by someone the vast majority of people don't want. Atleast in preferential you can choose the next least bad option.

Ultimately the best voting system in the world is the pure proportional representation system where there are no electorates or 'communities' and it is a purely statistical numbers game. You get 10% of the vote you get 10% of the seats ect.
I don't have a big issue with the Australian system having been told over and over again that the First past the post system was itself hugely flawed. People still have the option of spoiling their vote and I hope many people do this at the next election.

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Are you suggesting that the Oz Labor Party is slightly right of centre??? They seem as commie to me as any other Labour Party.

Just wondering.
I can't see the analogy either! They support Trade Unions. This doesn't make them commies in my book - just the party of the battlers. I don't mind battlers but I don't like the way Trade Unions behave, or any party that actively preen to them.

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
There are 2 mutually exclusive goals/aims in this debate.

1. Do we want a voting system that represents exactly how people vote?

or

2. Do we want a voting system that provides stable Government, by ignoring minor party representation?

PR brings instability due to massive minor party representation, but is more democratic.

First past the post allows candidates to win without majority support.

Preferential forces people to have a backup plan.
Good post.

I'm beginning to see why you are a great app developer but a struggling farmer!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
.... The only way you can register your disgust at the majors is by spoiling your ballot paper - you have to turn up at the polling booth or cop the fine.....
Not everywhere. Queensland and NSW use optional preferential voting.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
No truly left of centre party could allow a Gina Rinehart to get obscenely rich off the back of national resources.
I don't see the Federal Government putting any money up to dig it out of the ground, do you ?

Mind you, Labor in NSW are happy to get there little slice ofbthe mining pie in the form of Eddie Obeids little resource deal.

And they are not national resources, don't believe the rubbish from Swan. Minerals are owned by the crown in the person of the state governments, not Canberra unless its an offshore resource. The miners pay royalties when they dig it up to the state governments.

Which means the rest of the country can kiss WA's and Queensland's arse first.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

The lower house (House of Representatives) has 150 members, so a party needs 76 seats to form government.
Not entirely accurate - a party needs 76 seats to have a majority. Forming a government can be done when a party has less than that, such as the current government (Labor: 71 seats (was 72 when government was formed); Coalition: 72 seats).
There's an interesting example of a House of Representative election on the AEC website which indicates how the candidate who got nearly 50% of the first preference votes can end up losing.
Almost winning is not the same as winning.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:34 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

My main point when starting this thread was that I object to the fact that my vote at the next federal election will end up helping to put either Gillard or Abbot in as PM when I don't want to vote for either of them. I live in Wayne Swan's constituency and I accept the fact that my vote probably won't make any difference to the result, but I hate to think that I have to give a preference to either him or his Liberal opponent, even if they are marked as 6 & 7 on the ballot paper, because none of the smaller parties or independents stand a chance in that electorate.

Originally Posted by fish.01
Not everywhere. Queensland and NSW use optional preferential voting.
For state elections, yes - and a good thing too.

And compulsory voting for local council elections as well - I copped a $20 fine at the last Brisbane one for deciding I had more important things to do that day.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

My main point when starting this thread was that I object to the fact that my vote at the next federal election will end up helping to put either Gillard or Abbot in as PM when I don't want to vote for either of them. I live in Wayne Swan's constituency and I accept the fact that my vote probably won't make any difference to the result, but I hate to think that I have to give a preference to either him or his Liberal opponent, even if they are marked as 6 & 7 on the ballot paper, because none of the smaller parties or independents stand a chance in that electorate.

For state elections, yes - and a good thing too.

And compulsory voting for local council elections as well - I copped a $20 fine at the last Brisbane one for deciding I had more important things to do that day.
FYI, the Brisbane City Council election uses optional preferential voting as well.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

This thread certainly rings my bell! At the last election I took a marker pen along - to make certain it was read - and wrote across my enormous paper " The combination of compulsory voting and preferential voting is profoundly undemocratic and I will not take part ".
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My main point when starting this thread was that I object to the fact that my vote at the next federal election will end up helping to put either Gillard or Abbot in as PM when I don't want to vote for either of them.
Originally Posted by Wol
This thread certainly rings my bell! At the last election I took a marker pen along - to make certain it was read - and wrote across my enormous paper " The combination of compulsory voting and preferential voting is profoundly undemocratic and I will not take part ".
I think I will try this tactic...but I'll spoil the paper with a diagonal mark rather than waste time.

I don't think it's profoundly undemocratic because you did get a choice and a say in the order your votes got distributed - it's just that you don't like the process.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:06 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think I will try this tactic...but I'll spoil the paper with a diagonal mark rather than waste time.

I don't think it's profoundly undemocratic because you did get a choice and a say in the order your votes got distributed - it's just that you don't like the process.
It's undemocratic because unless I vote for a list of people I've never heard of I vote above the line - in which case someone else I've never heard of places my vote probably somewhere I would not wish.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
It's undemocratic because unless I vote for a list of people I've never heard of I vote above the line - in which case someone else I've never heard of places my vote probably somewhere I would not wish.
Is placing a number next to everyone really like voting for all of them? More like ranking them. If you put someone 47th and last on the list they won't be ringing you up thanking you for your vote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.